PDA

View Full Version : If you recently arrived at Trail Days, what day did you leave springer?

Ricky&Jack
05-14-2014, 23:24
If I attempt a through hike next year, I dont know if I would schedule my Departure from springer date to coincide with arriving in Damascus for Trail Days. I kinda think I would just want to get past Demascus as fast as possible.

But since I live 60mi from springer, having family meet me at Trail Days next year would be an awesome "get-together to see my family and have them see that im not the only crazy hiker out there" after a few weeks of being on the trail.

So im curious as to those hikers that are making it to Damascus THIS WEEK, what day did you leave springer this year, to have your arrival coincide with Trail days?

rafe
05-14-2014, 23:42
Damascus is 460 miles from Springer. Assuming most thrus making that far are averaging 12 miles per day, they've been on the trail for 38 days.

If they're averaging 11 miles/day, they've been at it for 42 days. The majority of thrus will in fact be averaging 11-12 miles/day in the first few weeks.

They'll be doing 15, 18, 20 mile days but they'll also be doing their share of zeros and neros.

Folks will be hitching forward and back to Damascus, but lots of hikers will be pacing themselves to arrive for Trail Days.

Sara
05-15-2014, 07:40
I started on April 6th and arrived in Damascus yesterday. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Venchka
05-15-2014, 08:28
Contrarian Reply: I would view Trail Days the same way I used to view Mardi Gras when we lived in New Orleans: A good time to be somewhere else. Like the year we went to Gatlinburg just in time for a foot of new snow. Or the year went to Belgium.
Y'all have fun!

Wayne

Pedaling Fool
05-15-2014, 08:39
In 2007 I departed Amicalola Fall State Park (Approach Trail) on either the 8th/9th of April with the express purpose of making it to Damascus for TD; I had to go a little slow, but got there in perfect timing.

The year before I departed March 17 and was well past Damascus for TD.

Trillium
05-15-2014, 08:58
On a blog that I'm following the hiker left Springer March 23 and arrived in Damascus May 10.

SawnieRobertson
05-15-2014, 12:37
Ha! What about those of us who do well to AVERAGE 8 mpd?

Josh Calhoun
05-15-2014, 12:56
take whatever schedule you got and throw that thing in the trash. take it day by day

vic_doom69
05-15-2014, 14:23
2010 left springer april 7 arrived the Thursday before trail days. left the following Friday morning. by sunday, had the whole trail to myself for probably 10 days it seemed. only the occasional section/weekenders.