PDA

View Full Version : Check my gear list for June GA/NC Section please?

slbirdnerd
05-15-2014, 11:08
Hi, all! Can I please get some feedback on my section gear list for June in GA/NC? I'll be out for 2 weeks with a max of 4 days between resupply. Thank you!

Things not on the list that I wonder about:

wind pants (or any long pants)
long base layer
gloves
fleece beanie
itorch charger
bug spray
pack liner
sunglasses

Current Gear List:

Packing

Oz

Backpack
Gregory Z65

Stuff Sack (Clothing)
Sea to Summit UL Dry Bag--13L

Stuff Sack (Food)
Sea to Summit UL Dry Bag--13L

Stuff Sacks (other)
Zip Locks

Dry bag for pers/f aid/tech
Wally's

Sleeping

Sleeping Bag
Thermarest Alpine Down Blanket 35

Dry Sack for Blanket
Sea to Summit 13L

Pillow
BA Sleeping Giant

Sleeping Pad
Zrest

Shelter

Shelter with poles/stakes
Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2

Ground Cloth
Fly Creek UL2

Clothing Packed

Rain Jacket
Marmot Precip

Long sleeve shirt
Marmot wicking 1/2 zip

Short sleeve shirt
Synthetic

Spare/sleeping shorts
Danskin

Hiking Socks
Darn Tough (2 spares)

Hiking Liners
Fox River (2 spares)

Sleeping Socks
light, synthetic

Spare bra

Spare underwear
Synthetic

Light fleece
NB 1/4 zip

Towel
lightload towel

Cooking & Drinking

Cooking Stove
MSR Pocket Rocket

Cook Set
Snow Peak Ti 900

Coozie/old hat
for freezer bagging

Spork
light my fire

Cup
collapsible silicone

Ignition
Bic lighter, few emergency matches

Cleaning rag
Zpacks towel

Water Bottle
2L Platy bottle for camp

Water Bottle
Gatorade 16 oz. for drinking

Water Bottle
1L Platy for drinking

Water Filtration
Sawyer Mini Squeeze w/2 bags and bottle lid for flushing

Water pills
Just a few for emergency

Bear Bag kit
50' Zline, throw bag, S-biner

Survival

Guidebook/Map
AT Guide--GA/NC only

Whistle compass therm

Pack pocket
Swiss Army mini, lip balm, bug head net

First Aid/hygiene
Ibuprofen, Nyquil, bandaids, neosporin, super glue, leukotape, needle/thread comb, tbrush, tpaste

Headlamp
Black Diamond Cosmo (incl batteries)

Pepper Spray

Pack towel
Zpacks

Extra headlamp batteries
optional ; start w fresh

Hygiene

TP Kit
TP, snack ZipLock bags, hoochers

Gadgets

Cell Phone
iPhone 4s

Deloreme InReach

Camera
Nikon Coolpix w Stick Pic

iPod Nano/Ear buds

Cord (for InReach, camera)
works for all the above

USB wall plug/iPhone card

Gadget dry sack
Zpacks cuben pouch

Other

Camp Shoes
Skechers Flip flops

Purse
Zpacks cuben pouch

Wallet/ID/$
in above (DL, cc, insurance, money)

Rope (small)
paracord 325--20' (clothes line, etc)

Consumables

Food/spice
Est.; incl campsuds (up to 5lb btwn resupply)

Water
Varies, max weight while hiking shown

Fuel canister
smallest

Total Ounces

Total Pack Pounds:

Worn/Carried

Underwear/Bra
Synthetic

Shirt
Synthetic

Shorts/pants
MH Hiking Kiilt

Socks
Darn Tough w Fox River liner

Shoes
Asics Gel Scout trail runner

Gaiters
OR Stamina

Hat
OR ball cap

Watch

Buff

Glasses

Ztowel
On pack strap

Trekking Poles
Black Diamond Trail Ergo; w Duct Tape

Total Skin Out Ounces

Total Skin Out Pounds

flemdawg1
05-15-2014, 11:23
Bring the beanie (worth the warmth for weight), and bug spray (yes they're out). In fact you might consider long pants just for the bug protection. I found a dozen ticks on me hiking in AL last weekend.

Gambit McCrae
05-15-2014, 11:26
Things not on the list that I wonder about:

wind pants (or any long pants) NO
long base layer NO
gloves NO
fleece beanie NO
itorch charger ??
bug spray PERSONAL PREFERENCE
pack liner YES-WHICH MEANS DITCH THE BLANKET DRY BAG AND OTHER WATER PROTECTANT BAGS
sunglasses YES

Gambit McCrae
05-15-2014, 11:32
I enjoy my pfg zip off pants. Light, uv protectent, wind proof, fast drying. They are the best pants ever. But she is wearing a kilt:datz

saltysack
05-15-2014, 11:49
Ditch all the needless weight of the stuff sacks for cloths sleep bag etc.... Trash compactor liner works great...pack carries better when filled out not full of sep bags

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quasarr
05-15-2014, 13:28
Hi slbirdnerd, you have an interesting mix of gear with some cuben zpacks stuff and a 4-pound pack from Gregory! It would help a little if you explained your goals for this trip, (are you just trying to enjoy a vacation at a leisurely pace of 5 miles per day? are you practicing for a thru hike? or something in between?) and also whether you are willing to buy any new gear.

I believe that most people are happier with a lighter backpack, and that it will not sacrifice comfort but increase it because you won't feel miserable every second you are wearing your pack! And since you have weighed everything, it tells me that you are likely interested in cutting weight. Gear can be very personal and with any piece of gear if you really love it, then don't worry about what I said. ;) So with that in mind here are my thoughts.

Backpack - If you are willing to buy a new pack, you could easily save 2 pounds here. There are many options.

Stuff sacks - like others have said, you can replace your many stuff sacks with a single trash compactor bag. Put all your "night time" stuff that must stay dry inside (sleeping bag and sleeping clothes), twist/tie the top, and don't open it until evening. I have walked through a flooded river with my stuff in a trash compactor bag and it stayed completely dry.

Pillow - WOW 1/2 lb for a pillow, is my first thought. If you are not willing to do away with a pillow completely (you can substitute rolled up clothes, or blow up the 2L Platypus and stuff it inside a t-shirt) then there are fancy UL pillow options at various prices.

http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?p_id=1124290

http://www.rei.com/product/847128/exped-air-pillow-ul#descriptionTab

Tent - I think that is a pretty good choice and you can't go too much lighter unless you are *ahem* willing to try a tarp-tent or something similar.

Clothes - I think you have too many. :) You can easily get rid of your long-sleeve Marmot. Then you still have one shirt to hike in, one to stay dry for the evening, and your fleece. I also think 3 pairs of socks is unnecessary for only a 4-day leg. You can bring two pairs, and wear them each twice. (I would just bring one but I probably just don't respect myself enough!!)

Electronics - I have not heard of the Deloreme, google reveals it is a GPS. Are you bringing this for emergencies only, or navigation, or something else? I think this is not necessary. You already have an iphone, which also has GPS, and navigating on the AT really isn't that hard.

Flip flops - 6 oz seems like a lot, you can probably get a plastic pair for $1 from Old Navy that will weigh less than this.

Socks/gaiters - This is very personal, but liners plus gaiters is a recipe for sweaty foot central, which could make your chances for blisters worse!

Hope that helps :)

slbirdnerd
05-15-2014, 15:46
Thanks, I think, quasar! ;) But here... since now I do feel the need to explain:

1. Like I mentioned I'm a section hiker. My pack is 3 lbs 4 oz, which isn't too heavy. The 6 lb Deva I had was. This pack fits me and carries well, has a great suspension and feels better to me than a ULA which I did try (among many other things). A lighter backpack doesn't make for happier hiker if it feels terrible, especially if it was meant to carry 20 pounds and I have 30, right? I can't help but feel a little bothered by your generalization that everyone without a 2-pound pack can only hike 5 miles a day. (Who sells a 1 lb 4 oz pack anyway?) On my SHORT days I hike 10. Not buying any more gear, just deciding what to leave at home. Yes I do have a nice mix of UL and non-UL stuff, pretty cool, huh? Balance. It's a wonderful thing.

Stuff Sacks: I am contemplating switching that up, but I do like the compartmentalization.

Pillow: Can't sleep at night without one, have tried others as well as the old clothes in the stuff sack routine. The BA pillow is just over a half pound. (There are still 16 ounces in a pound, right? Or has the new math changed that too?)

Tent: Do love my Fly Creek, and everyone that tries to talk me into a hammock or a TT can't beat the weight of my BA, or at least by much.

Clothes: I agree, but the Marmot is a really light thing, a sun shirt. The socks are turning out to be a must, if anything I will ditch one set of hiking socks. I have to hike with this sock combo or I end up with blisters. I have ugly, awful feet, curly toes, I actually contemplate going barefoot.

Electronics: The Delorme InReach is a GPS satellite communicator (better than the Spot) AND in conjunction with the phone if I need maps, maps. Not concerned with navigation. It's a safety issue and so I can check in at home. Family worries. I would love to not have all this crap, but being a single parent solo hiker, well, yeah.

The flip flops are 1-piece molded closed cell foam, lighter than anything I have found. They're perfect camp shoes:
http://www.skechers.com/style/11748/beaching-it/hpk

Socks/gaiters: The liners and socks that I have are not hot at all, and neither are the gaiters. I know there are much heavier liners and gaiters out there... And socks. Like, I can't wear Smartwool but the Darn Tough are AMAZING. The OR Stamina Gaiters are low, spandex-y things, not the tall heavy ones for winter. They are perfect for my trail runners. The liners are almost as thin as pantyhose. Sure, in summer, this combo with waterproof boots might be a nightmare, but the whole set up works well.

gunner76
05-15-2014, 16:22
A hammock may not save any weight but it gives you a lot more camping options along the AT and is more comfortable.

Stuff sack with extra clothes does make a great pillow. Don't like the way the stuff sack feels then make a cloth pillow sham to stuff the clothes into .

I agree with the others that you are taking too may clothes for such a short trip.

quasarr
05-15-2014, 16:25
Oops, you are right I made a mistake with the backpack, after scrolling up and down I recalled it to be around 4-5 lbs when it is much closer to 3! In that case, like the tent I think it is about as good as you can do without switching to a UL kit.

With the pillow I was trying to say that 1/2 lb seems like a lot to me for something that is basically a luxury item. But if that's what you need for a good night's sleep then that's what you need.

And I wasn't trying to give you a hard time about 5mpd! (I also said, or practicing for a thru-hike!) Some people like to hike that way for various reasons, and my advice for them would be different, that's why I asked. :)

bangorme
05-15-2014, 19:10
A hammock may not save any weight but it gives you a lot more camping options along the AT and is more comfortable.

Compared to the tent she's taking, what is the complexity level of setting up a hammock (and tarp I assume). Your tent looks similar to my LLBeans Microlight FS 2, except is a little lighter. I use the Microlight FS 1 mayself for backpacking. I see you are bringing the footprint, which I would normally advise against, but I believe by using the footprint you can set up the tent in the rain from inside the fly and keep everything dry.

Chris10
05-16-2014, 05:15
Hey!
I would take some bug spray as a, just in case. Didn't run into any last year during late June, but if you do, you'll wish you had some. The the weight of a small container of bug spray is almost nil.
Can't wait to hear about your hike!

slbirdnerd
05-16-2014, 11:58
Thanks, all!

Chris10: I do treat much of my clothing with permethrin, which seems to work pretty well, but I am going bare-legged this hike. I have a tiny Deet, maybe I'll take it and ditch it at Neel Gap if I don't need it. My biggest gripe is bugs in my face and I am opting for a bug headnet which came treated. We didn't have any bug issues June 19/20 last year but I guess you never know! I'll be sure to share my experience with you!