PDA

View Full Version : Parking at Fontana Dam

blue indian
05-15-2014, 19:44
Im wanting to do a section from Winding Stair Gap to Fontana Dam. It is better to leave my car at "NC 28, Fontana 28 AT Crossing Fontana Dam) or the "Dam Visitor Center"?

MuddyWaters
05-15-2014, 20:27
Visitor center

TNhiker
05-15-2014, 21:13
Or the marina.......which will cut a few miles off the walk to the visitors center....

ive parked a bunch of times at marina, visitors center and the trailhead for lakeshore trail and haven't had any problems there....

in theory, TVA police are supposed to patrol that area but I've only seen them around their building (but then again, I'm not there at night)...

blue indian
05-15-2014, 22:31
Or the marina.......which will cut a few miles off the walk to the visitors center....

ive parked a bunch of times at marina, visitors center and the trailhead for lakeshore trail and haven't had any problems there....

in theory, TVA police are supposed to patrol that area but I've only seen them around their building (but then again, I'm not there at night)...

I didnt see the marina on AWOLs guide. Is it close to the AT?

blue indian
05-15-2014, 22:32
Also, any shuttle recs? Ive used the folks from a "cabin in the woods" before in that area and was probably going to give them a call again unless someone knows of a notoriously cheap ride...?

TNhiker
05-16-2014, 04:10
yeah......the at runs right by the marina......or rather, right at the top of the hill...........

when do you need a ride? and where do you need to go back to? if it fits into my schedule, i could be convinced to do it.....

if not, the hike inn is a few miles down the road...

also, fontana villiage runs a shuttle but i believe it is just a shuttle to/from the villiage.....

TNhiker
05-16-2014, 04:17
try this link...

it shows at and then marina is that little saw looking thing to the right...

http://goo.gl/maps/51Lty

blue indian
05-16-2014, 07:41
PM inbound TNhiker..

TNhiker
05-16-2014, 08:23
returned the PM....

blue indian
05-17-2014, 12:28
Not having any luck with the few shuttlers that I called. I tried "a cabin in the woods", the "hike inn" and a number I found here on WB. Any other suggestions out there?