PDA

View Full Version : Snakeskin 4 - What fits?

JEB
09-26-2005, 15:57
Do any of you know what all might fit into a Hennessey Snakeskin 4? A JRB tarp & "No Snivelin'" underquilt with a backpacker ultralight hammock? How about the same combo with an Expedition ultralight? How about substituting a standard MacCat for the JRB tarp?
Thanks

Smee
09-26-2005, 16:45
Do any of you know what all might fit into a Hennessey Snakeskin 4? A JRB tarp & "No Snivelin'" underquilt with a backpacker ultralight hammock? How about the same combo with an Expedition ultralight? How about substituting a standard MacCat for the JRB tarp?
Thanks

The #4 Snake Skins accommodate the Hennessy Hammock Super Shelter but can be used to encase several combinations of Hennessy Hammocks and JRB Quilts. The fly or tarp will NOT fit in the #4 snake skins with the hammock and quilt so it must be remove and packed separately. Packing the hammock and quilt in the #4 Snake Skins results in a very tight compression of the quilt and should not be used for more than one or two day storage, i.e. while actually on a backpacking trip (do not leave your hammock and quilt stored in the snake skins in your pack at home). All down product in nylon shells including JRB quilts should be routinely stored uncompressed in a cool, dry environment not exposed to sun light.

Hammock/Quilt Combinations that fit in HH #4 Snake Skins

--------------Shenandoah--Nest--No Sniveller--Old Rag Mtn
Expedition----------Y--------N---------N------------N
BP Ultra Light-------Y--------Y---------Y------------N
Explr Ultra Light-----Y--------Y---------Y------------N
Extreme Lt Racer----Y--------Y---------Y------------N
Adventure Racer----Y--------Y---------Y------------N

The HH #4 snake skins may also work for other hammocks brands and quilt combinations.

Getting the hammock and quilt into the snake skins takes a little effort (not excessive). Whether the ease and convenience of setting up your camp site is worth the effort to use the snake skins is a matter of personal preference. JRB quilts can be attached to and removed from the hammock in under a minute and pack very compactly in their own waterproof compression sack.

JoeHiker
10-05-2005, 16:45
ThanksI spent last weekend practicing with my HH Backpacker Asym, JRB Nest, MacCat Deluxe Tarp, and SnakeSkins #4.

I've decided to go with the HH and Nest in the Skins and keep the MacCat separate. This makes putting the skins on noticeably harder because they don't slide over the nest nearly as easily as they do over the smooth silnylon tarp. And the down keeps fluffing up no matter how much i try to hold it compressed, making it difficult to stuff it into the skins

One trick I learned to make this easier: Use the tie-out lines from the hammock to help keep the down compressed while sliding on the skins. Take the tie out lines and wrap them around the Nest in a spiral, covering as much of the down as you can. This holds the down in and makes stuffing the nest into the skins so much easier.

Just Jeff
10-05-2005, 17:14
Try a second set of skins for the tarp. Then you can hang it but not deploy it in case you want to be open during the night. You're still ready in case rains come.

mark10203
10-14-2005, 12:01
The major benefit of separating the tarp into a separate skin is taking down in the rain, only your tarp packs wet and can be carried on the outside of pack until dry. The remaining gear can be packed under the tarp staying dry. However, if the tarp is wet and packed in the same skin as the hammock and/or quilts, everything gets wet once packed.