PDA

View Full Version : Undergrad researcher seeking participants for research project

TammyH
05-16-2014, 19:52
Happy Trails,

Hi, my name is Tammy Hirschhorn and I'm an undergraduate student at Granite State College. I'm looking to conduct qualitative research on the Appalachian Trail experience. I知 in need of volunteers who have completed a thru hike and would like to talk about their trip. The involvement is minimal, approximately 30 minutes to an hour to allow me to ask some questions about the experience. I prefer to meet with volunteers in person but can also accommodate phone calls. Unfortunately I am unable to financially reimburse anyone for their time; however I will absorb any costs for long distance phone calls. Your information will be used to determine life outcomes of this wilderness experience and the final report will be made available to the Appalachian Trail Museum for future generations.

All interested volunteers can contact me via email at [email protected] or by text or call to my cell phone 717-650-7954.
Thank you in advance for your help but more importantly thanks for keeping the Appalachian Trail experience alive.
Best wishes for a great year.
Tammy Hirschhorn

Venchka
05-17-2014, 09:00
Suggestion: Include anyone who, for whatever reasons, didn't quite finish their thru-hike. The 50% to 90% complete folks. Their stories might be an interesting contrast to those who did complete a thru-hike. Folks who kept trying until they finished the AT in a single trip is another interesting sub-set.
Good luck!

Wayne

TammyH
05-17-2014, 09:35
Thanks for the idea! My time is very limited for this project. As an undergrad, the goal is to learn more about how to conduct research than the actual research itself. But I wanted to focus on ecopsychology since it is a passion of mine. I'm hoping to get some interested people who want to talk about their experience!! I only have 3 weeks to collect data since obtaining IRB approval. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Tammy

magneto
05-17-2014, 12:32
Perhaps you should hike the trail yourself. You could also interview people you meet there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TammyH
05-17-2014, 18:05
It is my goal to one day thru hike the AT. At this time in my life, it just isn't possible.

Venchka
05-17-2014, 18:29
I do hope that you will learn some skills that will allow you to fund your goal.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Dogwood
05-17-2014, 18:42
I had to Google the word ecopsychology. Ecopsychology integrates psychology and ecology in the study of human-nature relationships. I like this definition from NAROPA university: Ecopsychology is an emerging field that is developing in recognition that human health, identity, and sanity are intimately linked to the health of the earth and ...http://www.naropa.edu/academics/gsp/grad/ecopsychology-ma/what-is-ecopsychology.php LOVE THE SUBJECT TOO. I think about it often. PM me. I'm studying ecopsychology now! ie; I'm thru-hiking. I've thru-hiked the AT already... and a few other trails/routes. I've conducted qualitative research as a Statistical Mathematics major too involving the relationships between humans and plants(sound, touch, presence(in all it's forms), etc. I might be your favorite test subject. I'd like to hear what you've learned too.

Meriadoc
05-17-2014, 21:04
Volunteered.

magneto
05-18-2014, 06:39
Tammy- I hear you and I used to think a thru hike was impossible for me too. I'm 48 and got sick of thinking about a thru. I realized that we live in America where all things are possible so I rearranged my life - especially my business life - so I can make an attempt next year. Not easy to do, but this hike is really important to me and worth the trouble.

Have you considered looking at the numerous trail journals that are currently on-line to create a pool over hikers who both completed and did not complete their hikes, and then somehow randomizing groups to study?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4shot
05-18-2014, 08:49
I'd be willing to participate. PM sent.

TammyH
05-18-2014, 13:18
me too. I'm really curious as to how folks have financially made thru hiking the trail a reality.

TammyH
05-19-2014, 19:39
Happy Trails,

Hi, my name is Tammy Hirschhorn and I'm an undergraduate student at Granite State College. I'm looking to conduct qualitative research on the Appalachian Trail experience. I知 in need of volunteers who have completed a thru hike and would like to talk about their trip. The involvement is minimal, approximately 30 minutes to an hour to allow me to ask some questions about the experience. I prefer to meet with volunteers in person but can also accommodate phone calls. Unfortunately I am unable to financially reimburse anyone for their time; however I will absorb any costs for long distance phone calls. Your information will be used to determine life outcomes of this wilderness experience and the final report will be made available to the Appalachian Trail Museum for future generations.

All interested volunteers can contact me via email at [email protected] or by text or call to my cell phone 717-650-7954.
Thank you in advance for your help but more importantly thanks for keeping the Appalachian Trail experience alive.
Tammy Hirschhorn

TammyH
05-19-2014, 19:41
Happy Trails,

Tammy Hirschhorn

TammyH
05-19-2014, 19:43
Happy Trails,

Tammy Hirschhorn

TammyH
05-26-2014, 19:48
I'm really in need of some folks to talk to about their experience. If you could spare 1/2 - 1 hour of your time, I'd really appreciate the opportunity to talk with you about your AT trip. Please contact me if you're interested. [email protected] or cell 717-650-7954 or message me.

Thanks so much
Tammy

bamboo bob
05-26-2014, 21:14
Hi Tammy. Ordinarily I would volunteer but I am leaving soon on back to back Hiking trips and trail work and don't have a lot of free time.

I'm less than enthusiastic because I have done a few interviews and surveys and always asked and was told I would receive a copy of the final product. Undergraduates, graduate students, and other investigators all say "oh yeah, no problem" but the NEVER do. Maybe that explains the 148 views but no responses.

TammyH
05-28-2014, 19:08
Hi Bob,
I appreciate your feedback and I'm sorry others have acted with less integrity. So far I've been finding it wonderful to speak with folks. Good luck on your upcoming trips.
Best wishes,
Tammy

TammyH
05-28-2014, 19:14
In the past two weeks I've come to learn some things about the thru hiker community. I know I'm an outsider, looking in, but I've seen through the stories and experiences of those I've talked to just how deep their connections are with one another and such kindness and generosity. If you'd like to share your thru hike experience, please contact me as my time will be running out very shortly to collect the stories I need for this project. [email protected] or my cell 717-650-7954. Thanks for your time.
Tammy