PDA

View Full Version : Shorts vs long pants for hiking in NC??

saltysack
05-17-2014, 09:43
Just curious what most people prefer to hike in this time of year....I usually only hike the southern AT from late Oct-march as I prefer cooler weather for my hikes. I recently bought a JRB Sierra stealth 40-45 deg quilt to try out as I'll be hiking from glassmine gap to NOC late next week. I hate bug spray so I'm leaning towards my mh long pants w permethrin treatment and my exofficio sol cool long sleeve shirt treated as well....trying to keep pack weight under 20lbs for me and the dog....also bringing montbell ul down parka to cover dog and possibly wear at camp....guess the real question is how are the ticks and bugs this time of year??? I plan to tent at elevation...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Cleaner
05-17-2014, 10:13
Insect repellant does not deter the biting gnats, a headnet does. You may look funny but it beats digging gnats out of your eyes....

daddytwosticks
05-17-2014, 14:57
Hey Salty...I may see you on the trail. Am hiking Wayah Gap to the NOC this coming Friday thru Sunday. I wear shorts and take lightweight wind pants for the evenings in camp and for sleepwear. No big fear of bugs this time of year. I'll bring DEET just in case. No headnet but I will sleep in a bug bivy in the shelters. :)

saltysack
05-17-2014, 16:25
Hey Salty...I may see you on the trail. Am hiking Wayah Gap to the NOC this coming Friday thru Sunday. I wear shorts and take lightweight wind pants for the evenings in camp and for sleepwear. No big fear of bugs this time of year. I'll bring DEET just in case. No headnet but I will sleep in a bug bivy in the shelters. :)

Think ill split the difference and wear my convertibles....I plan to hike from mid wed after noon and finish by noon on Friday at NOC...have fun hope weather is good

saltysack
05-20-2014, 10:32

I plan to finish at NOC by noon fridsy if u need ride to trail from NOC...

Gambit McCrae
05-20-2014, 10:50
NC requires hikers to wear pants. All the time.

daddytwosticks
05-20-2014, 15:51
I plan to finish at NOC by noon fridsy if u need ride to trail from NOC...

Thanks for the offer! My wife, The Shuttler, has it covered for me. Hope you have a great hike. :)

Josh Calhoun
05-21-2014, 13:37
Daddytwosticks, you are a pro on that section aint ya buddy!Salty, should be nice and warm during the day and good sleeping weather at night. i wear my shorty shorts if the temps are 25 degrees or better. as long as your moving your good. i get to hot in pants.

bigcranky
05-21-2014, 13:39
I wear shorts pretty much year-round in the Southern Appalachians. This time of year the bugs aren't generally too bad. I do treat my shorts, socks, and shirt with permethrin.

daddytwosticks
05-21-2014, 16:22
Daddytwosticks, you are a pro on that section aint ya buddy!Salty, should be nice and warm during the day and good sleeping weather at night. i wear my shorty shorts if the temps are 25 degrees or better. as long as your moving your good. i get to hot in pants.
Beautiful section for a leisurely stroll. This will be the fourth time hiking that section. Nothing better than finishing at the NOC IMHO. :)

Theosus
05-21-2014, 20:00
Just got a kilt! looking forward to trying that out in NC.

WorldPeaceAndStuff
05-21-2014, 20:54

I wear shorts pretty much year-round in the Southern Appalachians. This time of year the bugs aren't generally too bad. I do treat my shorts, socks, and shirt with permethein.
I live at 3.8k feet and it's shorts all the way starting in April and ending in mid Dec. That goes anywhere from 3k-6k feet. Compared to my time down east, the biting bugs aren't even that bad up here.

shakey_snake
05-21-2014, 21:09

Pretty sure they only require that by law if your church don't allow no dancin'.

slbirdnerd
05-22-2014, 13:01
Just got a kilt! looking forward to trying that out in NC.

Me too! Definitely worth looking at, OP.