PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to buy/carry a footprint for my tent (Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1)?

zaichev
05-18-2014, 00:40
It's $35/4oz.

I understand it's supposed to protect the tent but won't do much for water resistance. Will I need this for the AT? I'm trying to pack as light as possible, but don't want to skimp on things that matter.

Astro
05-18-2014, 01:05
I would recommend it. I previously use Seedhouse SL2, and now Fly Creek UL1, and always used the footprint.

bigcranky
05-18-2014, 07:19
I'll give the opposite perspective. I haven't used a footprint in more than ten years. Lately we've been using very light tarptents with silnylon floors, and even those hold up well. Just keep an eye out for sticks and small rocks and any other sharp things before setting up the tent. And don't set up in muddy sites.

magneto
05-18-2014, 07:49
I have used a Fly Creek UL2 extensively and the footprint really helped protect the floor. I did my tenting mostly here in NH - lots of rocky ground and tent platforms. It adds some weight, but extends the life of your tent...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rusty bumper
05-18-2014, 08:01
Over 150 nights on the trail with my Tarptent Moment...no footprint...no problems.

Rocket Jones
05-18-2014, 08:13
Never used one.

colorado_rob
05-18-2014, 09:14
Over 150 nights on the trail with my Tarptent Moment...no footprint...no problems. Same experience here: 45 years of backpacking, maybe 1000 nights in a tent, never ever used an extra footprint, never got a hole in my tent floor. My most recent tent is a BA fly creek 2, 100+ nights, no problem.

Praha4
05-18-2014, 10:04
I use the Fly Creek UL1 also, don't use the Big Agnes footprint, too expensive and too many extra ounces. The tent floor should be fine without a footprint, but a piece of polycro ground cloth will give extra protection for fraction of the weight of the silnylon footprint. Gossamer Gear website has the polycro ground cloth.

colorado_rob
05-18-2014, 10:13
I use the Fly Creek UL1 also, don't use the Big Agnes footprint, too expensive and too many extra ounces. The tent floor should be fine without a footprint, but a piece of polycro ground cloth will give extra protection for fraction of the weight of the silnylon footprint. Gossamer Gear website has the polycro ground cloth. That GG Polycro stuff is absolutely amazing; so strong for it's feather-weight. I use it as my tent floor in my zpacks-hexamid tent; one sheet as big as the tent floor lasted 400 miles on the AT, still looks like new. If you have to have a "footprint", follow this advice and get some of this stuff. Cheaper and lighter.

magneto
05-18-2014, 13:45
Tyvek works too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colorado_rob
05-18-2014, 14:33
Tyvek works too...
Too heavy.

HooKooDooKu
05-18-2014, 14:47
I like using a ground cloth because it not only helps protect the underside of the tent from start sticks (and seeds) but it also keeps the bottom of the tent clean and dry.

I don't know what the bulk of the AT is like, but in the GSMNP, the camp spots are just bare dirt. The ground cloth gives me a clean dry spot to roll up my tent, and then as I pick up the ground cloth, I can fold the dirty side in on itself and roll it around the tent before stuffing it back inside the tent bag.

canoe
05-18-2014, 18:49
That GG Polycro stuff is absolutely amazing; so strong for it's feather-weight. I use it as my tent floor in my zpacks-hexamid tent; one sheet as big as the tent floor lasted 400 miles on the AT, still looks like new. If you have to have a "footprint", follow this advice and get some of this stuff. Cheaper and lighter. Never heard of this stuff. I always used tyvek. After doing research I see that tyvek is like twice as heavy as this polycro stuff. Is it really as tough as you say?

colorado_rob
05-18-2014, 20:46
Never heard of this stuff. I always used tyvek. After doing research I see that tyvek is like twice as heavy as this polycro stuff. Is it really as tough as you say? Not sure how to quantify "tough", so I guess you just have to try it and see.

ChinMusic
05-18-2014, 23:05
Never use a footprint. No issues.

canoe
05-19-2014, 10:39
Not sure how to quantify "tough", so I guess you just have to try it and see.
Well you are the one that made the statement how well it held up. So according to your description is how I am defining tough. Why dont you send me some so I can try it out and see

colorado_rob
05-19-2014, 11:22
Well you are the one that made the statement how well it held up. So according to your description is how I am defining tough. Why dont you send me some so I can try it out and see Well, see my post #9 below, not a completely thorough test though, but I'd feel good about using two for an entire thru hike (meaning I would expect at least 1000 miles out of one). Here's one review:

http://sectionhiker.com/gossamer-gear-polycro-ground-cloth/

and here's the actual product (2-pack for $10):

http://gossamergear.com/shelters/shelter-accessories/polycryo-ground-cloth-medium.html

But again I stress, as many have said, no footprint required on any floored-tents I've ever used. (I use this GG polycro as my actual tent floor, one layer; my hexamid tent only has a bug-screen floor).

bamboo bob
05-19-2014, 16:55
Too heavy.

I've used the same piece of tyvek for 12 years. It weighs 3 ounces. It is not cut for the entire tent just the middle where I put my weight.

colorado_rob
05-19-2014, 17:03
I've used the same piece of tyvek for 12 years. It weighs 3 ounces. I know, that's why I said it was too heavy. The same size piece of polycro would be about an ounce. I understand most, on WB especially, don't see the significance of 2 ounces. I do. Some others do. That's why some have fully equipped base weights of 10 lbs or less. Every ounce counts. Make each ounce count. I know, I'm being preachy. Forgive.

bamboo bob
05-19-2014, 17:12
I tend to think that a base weight of 10 or 12 or 16 makes no difference. I'll try anything at all if it actually works better. But will polycro lie flat without being babied. Isn't it a bit like trying to spread out a piece of saran wrap?

leatherwheels
05-19-2014, 17:15
I have usually just used plastic sheeting like in drop cloths you can by from Lowe's or Home Depot and just cut to size, usually about an inch or two smaller than the actual footprint of the tent. Pretty durable and much less expensive, rolls down pretty compact. I've never actually had to replace one but never used it for the distance either. Not sure about the weight as I don't actually have a scale, but I would think lighter than Tyvek or the one designed by the manufacturer. You can usually find it in smaller sizes than this link if you go to the actual store. Could even cut out a couple and mail yourself a replacement in a resupply box along the way. Would be easy to replace at any local hardware store also.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=16905-18632-RSBH410-25C&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3241120&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1#BVRRWidgetID

canoe
05-19-2014, 20:01
I tend to think that a base weight of 10 or 12 or 16 makes no difference. I'll try anything at all if it actually works better. But will polycro lie flat without being babied. Isn't it a bit like trying to spread out a piece of saran wrap?
I am always looking for lighter and better. I do like the workabilty of tyvek. I am waiting for an answer to the saran wrap issue. DOes anyone else use gg polycro

Tuckahoe
05-19-2014, 21:47
I realize that the discussion here is regarding foot prints, but since some are also talking about polycro I thought this video from Chad/Stick's Blog about a polycro tarp might be of interest --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXiDoZanYTU&sns=em

QHShowoman
05-19-2014, 22:19
Polycro is the same kind of material they make heat shrink wrap from. Think of a piece of cellophane, but one that's nearly impossible to stretch, poke or tear. It's the same stuff you can buy at home depot to shrink wrap your windows and sliding doors in winter.

I couldn't stand the Tyvek. Just never packed down small and was heavier than I wanted a footprint to be. Try the polycro. Totally worth it.

Patrickjd9
05-19-2014, 22:59
Polycro is the same kind of material they make heat shrink wrap from. Think of a piece of cellophane, but one that's nearly impossible to stretch, poke or tear. It's the same stuff you can buy at home depot to shrink wrap your windows and sliding doors in winter.

I've always used a piece of 2 to 4 mil polyethylene, basically cut from a dropcloth--at least once from one that had been used for painting.

I have more than enough of this Polycro heat shrink to cut a footprint for my one-person tent. I'll have to try it.

canoe
05-19-2014, 23:03
I realize that the discussion here is regarding foot prints, but since some are also talking about polycro I thought this video from Chad/Stick's Blog about a polycro tarp might be of interest --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXiDoZanYTU&sns=em
Thanks tuck. that is very interesting. You dont have a follow up review from his shake down do you.

canoe
05-19-2014, 23:08

I couldn't stand the Tyvek. Just never packed down small and was heavier than I wanted a footprint to be. Try the polycro. Totally worth it.
Just wondering what is the differance in packing down tyvek and poly. In the video poly looks mighty stiff. The more you use tyvek the softer it gets. Does poly become more plyable the more you use it?

Tuckahoe
05-19-2014, 23:28
Thanks tuck. that is very interesting. You dont have a follow up review from his shake down do you.

I dont recall Chad posting a follow up on the polycro tarp, but he is a member here and maybe he will stumble on this thread and share his thoughts.

Also a Google search for both "polycro tarp" & "polycro ground sheet" turn up some good results, especially some threads on BPL.

Also Gossamer Gear sells polycro ground sheets -- http://gossamergear.com/shelters/shelter-accessories/polycryo-ground-cloth-medium.html

rafe
05-20-2014, 07:52
I'll weigh in with the no-footprint crowd. Never used one, at least not for backpacking (maybe once or twice for road-camping.)

SunnyWalker
05-20-2014, 08:44
Zacichev: I had read all these types of comments before and I appreciate the folk who sally forth without a footprint. Me I use one as the tent just cost me too much and I just know the wear and tear on the floor is mitigated by the footrprint. So I vote for the footprtint and they are so light nowdays that is not too much of a sacrifice to carry one. I also use it to sit on when I take breaks and all at times. So it comes in handy. Have a fun hike.

QHShowoman
05-20-2014, 15:38
Just wondering what is the differance in packing down tyvek and poly. In the video poly looks mighty stiff. The more you use tyvek the softer it gets. Does poly become more plyable the more you use it?

The polycro used for footprints is akin to very thin cellophane, so it's not stiff at all.