PDA

View Full Version : Bought new gear for my first overnight hike with my husky Jack, to Springer Mountain

Ricky&Jack
05-18-2014, 15:23
Im planning my first overnight hike with my husky, Jack. So far the plan is to hike Amicalola on Tuesday morning and camp at Springer Mountain... and then return on wednesday. so roughly 9 miles each way.

This is our first overnight hike together, so I wanted to use semi-cheap gear. I bought all these all walmart, except for the pack I bought at Sportmans Warehouse in Chattanooga.

Teton Sports Outfitter 4600 backpack......$92..... 5 lbs

Ozark Trail warm 50 degree bag....... $19....... 2 lbs

Ozark Trails 2 person 7x7 tent.... $25 ...... 5 lbs

dog light... carbines... extra stakes.... $8..... 1 lbs

Outdoor Outfitter Apex Trekking Pole Set...... $19

Total haul....... cost $ 145 ...... weight of pack with these basic items 13 lbs

I'll go back to walmart tomorrow to get some food and last minute gear, food, and dog supplies.

But so far, I think I'm off to a good start.

(is there water at springer mountain? Or should I just carry enough to last the 2 days, since my pack is so light and I can spare the weight)

if anyone has any info or recommendations on what to take, or any info about where to stay near Springer Mountain, feel free to post it here.

How long did it take ya'll to hike the approach trail from Amicalola to Springer?

No Directions
05-18-2014, 15:34
There is water and tenting spots at the Springer Mountain Shelter. With all the recent rain you should not have problems finding water. Just be sure to treat it.

Ricky&Jack
05-18-2014, 15:37
okay. i never looked into water treatment yet. I guess ill see what walmart has, tomorrow.

bigcranky
05-18-2014, 16:37
There is a nice spring at Springer. Follow the signs from the shelter.

Pick up some chlorine dioxide water treatment tablets or Aqua Mira solution.

Last Call
05-18-2014, 16:47
Wal-Mart has the Coleman water treatment tablets in the camping section, 5 or 6 dollars, It's all I ever use. Approach trail is a days hike with a couple of water sources on the way up. Pick up 2 quarts of Gatorade or PowerAde for your water bottles. I would also get the 3 pack of dry bags that Wal-mart sells, they come in 3 sizes with 1 blue, 1 red, 1 yellow, 10 bucks. You're going to have a blast, should be lots of hikers on the Trail!

daddytwosticks
05-18-2014, 18:06
Walmart has the sawyer mini in stock at my local store. I think it still may be on sale for $20. :)

Sarcasm the elf
05-18-2014, 18:24
Walmart has the sawyer mini in stock at my local store. I think it still may be on sale for $20. :)

$20? That's a no brainer. I bought mine for $35 and it was well worth it.

saltysack
05-18-2014, 21:49
Dog light great at night...use similar one often on and of trail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sarcasm the elf
05-18-2014, 22:01
I notice that you didn't list a ground pad, do you already own one? They are as important for warmth as a sleeping bag is. If you don't already own a pad, one of the basic blue foam ones from Walmart will do just find this time of year.

Ricky&Jack
05-18-2014, 23:43
I dont have a pad. I had thought of getting one. But everything (except the backpack) is the cheap walmart stuff because I want this trip to be a test run to see how me and my dog do with this 18mi hike, and to see how he does with a tent (see if he tries to tear it).

If we both do good, then Ill upgrade with a ground and stronger/better gear.

Rocket Jones
05-19-2014, 06:21
The ground will suck heat from you and you'll probably be cold without a pad. At least get a blue foam pad at WalMart - cheap and in the camping/outdoors area.

Gambit McCrae
05-19-2014, 09:14
A pad is a must. If you dont you will freeze all night, even in warmer times. As well, it would be a good idea to get the sawyer mini filter, They work great

bigcranky
05-19-2014, 13:51
Hate to pile on, but you both need a ground pad. It's crucial, and not for cushioning. The cheap $10 blue foam sleeping pad from Walmart is fine -- cut off a couple of feet of it for the dog to sleep on.

Ricky&Jack
05-19-2014, 16:17
i just went to walmart, and saw the pads. But then I was reminded that I have a 7ft long yoga pad.

I think Im going to try that.

We will be leaving tomorrow at 6am. Should make it to Amicalola by about 7:30am.

I found a $9 bottle of Sawyer brand 12oz bottle of permethrin spray. It says only .5% permithrin, but I assume thats good enough. Im washing my clothes now and will spray it down when its done washing/drying.

Ricky&Jack
05-19-2014, 16:19
cut off a couple of feet of it for the dog to sleep on.

I heard another poster say its only real important to support the shoulders and hips......

Do most hikers keep the full body length? Or do they cut it at the hips?

bigcranky
05-19-2014, 16:33
I heard another poster say its only real important to support the shoulders and hips......

Do most hikers keep the full body length? Or do they cut it at the hips?

Dunno about "most" hikers. I have both kinds of pads and use a short pad in warmer weather.

leatherwheels
05-19-2014, 16:39
When backpacking in warm weather, nights of 45 degrees plus, I normally carry a 3/4 length pad that goes down to around my knees or a little longer. In winter months or if expecting cold nights such as mid to low 40's and below I carry a full length pad for the extra insulation. Hope that helps and enjoy your hike.

Drybones
05-19-2014, 17:53
The ground will suck heat from you and you'll probably be cold without a pad. At least get a blue foam pad at WalMart - cheap and in the camping/outdoors area.

Backpacking sux if you can't sleep and I doubt you'll be able to sleep much without a pad, if you're still young and have no back issues the blue Walmart pad is the cheapest thing out there, light but bulky, my hiking buddy uses it...BTW, that's a fine looking hiking mate you have there, doubt that he'll need a lot of TLC, he'd be more at home hiking in the winter, in warm weather check him, and yourself, for ticks before you bed down.

Venchka
05-19-2014, 22:34
I can only speak for my wife's yoga pad: paper thin and heavy as lead. Aren't the Walmarts in Georgia open 24 hours? Buy a blue foam pad. You have worried about everything else, big and small. Please take care of one important item of gear.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.