PDA

View Full Version : My Osprey Aura 65 review. It's an Osprey, BUT...

JumpMaster Blaster
05-19-2014, 11:17
So I took advantage of the sale going on at REI to get a lighter pack for summer (was using a Kelty Coyote 80, and while it did a great job, I wasn't using all the space & wanted to shave 2 lbs off total weight). After being fitted and told that even though I'm 5'10" with a large frame, I have a 15" torso, so that limited me to a few choices. I decided to go with the Osprey Aura 65, because they didn't have an Atmos in a small. I'm hesitant to buy "women's packs" because I don't like the shorter and curvier shoulder straps (the one's on my Coyote were PERFECT). I saw a good number of women thru-hikers using it durung my 4 day stint at Grayson Highlands, so I figured I'd give it a go. I have gone on 2, 4, and 6 mile hikes with it, and here are my observations:

1- SIDE POCKETS- what were they thinking??? Once I packed it, it took great effort to get a full Smartwater bottle in one side. I use a 24 oz Camelback bottle w/ a hose for primary hydration and once jammed in there, it wasn't going to budge. I tried a FRED water bottle, thinking since it is flask-shaped, that it would fit a little better. Nope. When I stopped to put some water in a bowl for my dog, it took me more time than necessary to wedge it back in. Note- the compression straps were routed UNDER the pocket, so that didn't help. This could be a deal breaker.

2- HIP BELT POCKETS- Too small. Once the pack was on, the way the frame curves around your body makes them almost inaccessible. First off, I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 that will barely fit with the pack off, but with it on all I could do was jam it in there vertically and risk having it fall out. Good luck getting the zipper to open all the way too. I have been looking at accessory pouches to put on it but why should I have to? This too could be a deal-breaker.

3- SUSPENSION/FIT- Great. The pack rode higher than what I was used to, but really hugged my body. I walked with a total weight of 22 and 26 lbs and had no issues. I tried on a Deueter and part of the frame protruded almost right into the back of my head, but nothing on the Aura got in my way. The straps seem okay as long as I keep them cinched down. There was a bit of the mesh that wasn't even touching my back, so I stayed really cool. It just took some getting used to after having hiked with a pack that has lumbar & scapula padding. Didn't notice any extra side-to side motion. The load lifter straps did their job quite nicely, and I pretty much manipulated every adjustment I could during my walks to see how it affected the ride. Pretty good. For the last mile of one of my walks, I actually undid the waistband & sternum strap- the pack dropped down about an inch , but the way the fram is contoured, it still sat in a comfortable position to where my shoulders still didn't bear 100% of the weight. That was impressive!

4- PACKING- Meh. It's as if the whole pack is made of spandex. My gear weight (with food & water minus pack) went from 23lbs 6oz to 21lbs 4oz, so I wasn't trying to pack the same amount of stuff I'd had in the 80L (which again, I wasted a LOT of space in). I was having a go jamming everything in there. Keep in mind the MODEL is 65 (liters) but I had to get a small for my torso size, so I'm really only working with 62 liters. I could care less about a sleeping bag compartment, heck I just put the tent down there since that's the 1st thing I usually need anyway. If I keep this pack, the flap is going to get cut out. The exterior and interior pockets on the lid were great- just enough room to get the essentials in there. I DO like the stretchy front pocket (perfect for a rain jacket), but the two interior pockets didn't expand much, so I was wary of putting anything bulky in there, until I found out (while writing this) that there is some space above the interior pockets and a channel running through to the other side, so I guess something else could be put in there (just not sure what). I managed to get a Frontiersman bear canister in horizontally; of course it added to the vertical height, but after adjusting the lid fit on top.

5- EXTRAS- Kudos to Osprey for the trekking pole loop on the left. That was a plus, as sometimes I hike with my dog or don't want to keep one of my hands free. For as many times as I like to stop & take pictures, that feature will definitely be used. The cinch bands on the front were kind of weird to me, but held my tent poles fine. Actually, once I find something else I can stow in there to see how well they hold. The straps at the bottom held my sleeping pad just fine, and I liked having it there instead of at the very bottom of the pack like my Kelty.

So out of 5 stars I have to give the Aura a 3.5. I'm not completely sold on it, as I'm going to have to modify it to add hipbelt pockets I can actually use, and probably some kind of pouch to hold a water bottle. That increases pack weight, which is what I was trying to get down anyway. I live in a military town, so I'm sure I can get some modifications sewn on it, but before I do and commit to the bag, I'm going to give the REI Crestrail 70 a try.

:-?

JumpMaster Blaster
05-19-2014, 12:08
Mods- please move this to the General Gear forum. My apologies!

Venchka
05-19-2014, 13:16
I was crawling all over Osprey packs this weekend at both REI and Whole Earth Provision Company.
1. Pockets. What pockets? Drop the notion of the interior pockets. Knock a few ounces and a few bucks off the price.
2. Ditto for the so called pockets on the hip belt.
3. The Aether 60 fit me like a glove.
4. I own several real external pockets from previous packs. If I buy an Osprey pack I will try to lash my old pockets on the outside.
5. Whatever happened to daisy chains?????????????
6. One of these days I may talk to Dan McHale about a custom S-Sarc P&G pack.
7. Not convinced that my Rivendell and Dana Design packs need to be replaced. I don't see much, if any, improvement on the market today.

JumpMaster Blaster: Keep us posted on your progress with the Osprey pack.

Wayne

Venchka
05-19-2014, 13:36
I would give the Aether 60 & 70 in your size serious consideration. Saving weight doesn't mean a whole lot if you don't get a pack that works for you in the bargain.

Wayne

colorado_rob
05-19-2014, 13:46
Good review Jumper. Both my wife and myself have owned numerous Osprey packs over the years, with decent but not spectacular success, and your review hit upon the main two shortcomings: the hip belt pockets are too small, hence practically useless, and the side stretchy pockets are too small to hold drink bottles. I don't know why Osprey doesn't fix these simple shortcomings.

Have you thought about checking out the ULA pack line? Those two problems, in particular, are fixed on my OHM 2.0, along with the fact that you can order different sized hip belts from the pack size, another flaw in the Osprey line. The OHM is nowhere near the size class of the Aura, but the ULA Catalyst is. Good hunting!

JumpMaster Blaster
05-19-2014, 23:34
Good review Jumper. Both my wife and myself have owned numerous Osprey packs over the years, with decent but not spectacular success, and your review hit upon the main two shortcomings: the hip belt pockets are too small, hence practically useless, and the side stretchy pockets are too small to hold drink bottles. I don't know why Osprey doesn't fix these simple shortcomings.

Have you thought about checking out the ULA pack line? Those two problems, in particular, are fixed on my OHM 2.0, along with the fact that you can order different sized hip belts from the pack size, another flaw in the Osprey line. The OHM is nowhere near the size class of the Aura, but the ULA Catalyst is. Good hunting!

I am, in fact, seriously considering a ULA Catalyst (or Circuit- keep getting the 2 mixed up). Really digging the customizable hip belts.

I may end up cannibalizing another pack for side pockets. The Osprey is sitting in the corner of my room, packed full, as if to say "c'mon give me another chance. I was SO GREAT on your back..."

Theosus
05-20-2014, 20:59
Sorry to hear you didn't like the deuter. I love mine... It's a little too big for me now that I've pared my gear down, but I love it. It's heavy but it rides well. I've tried a few osprey packs but haven't found anything I like well enough to consider buying. Thanks for the review on this one.

shakey_snake
05-20-2014, 21:24
1- SIDE POCKETS- what were they thinking???

Said almost everyone about every pack ever.