PDA

View Full Version : NeoAir (or other inflatable) with or without underpad

FarmerChef
05-19-2014, 14:42
So REI has Thermarest products on sale and with my $20 member bonus plus the 20% off code that could be a sweet deal on a NeoAir XLite. My wife uses one and likes it but uses a z-rest underneath for protection. I realize she could also just use a piece of blue foam but then I begin wondering what the point of an ultralight inflatable pad is if you have to bring another light pad to keep it safe.

So, my question to the distinguished members of WB is: (drumroll please)...do you use an underpad or not and why? Have you had many problems with holes?

(Disclaimer: Yes, I realize this has been discussed in other threads in the past but I figure a more concentrated thread on the topic might be at best beneficial :-? and at worst entertaining :banana ...also why I posted in the general forum.) Have fun folks.

Mobius
05-19-2014, 14:52
I use to.
Now I don't.
(But I might if it's in the single digits.)

Studlintsean
05-19-2014, 14:58
I use a piece of thin painters plastic when using a tarp. In tent I don't use anything under it (except tent floor).

Berserker
05-19-2014, 15:11
I use an underpad for no other reason than I'm paranoid...I don't know that it's really necessary. I can say that I've never had a hole with an air mattress...yet.

For the underpad I use a Gossamer Gear Thinlight pad (Evazote foam). I have a 1/8" thick one and a 1/4" thick one. The 1/8" thick one weighs right at 1.8 oz and covers the main area under the pad where I would put pressure (i.e. for sitting up, for putting a hand down to stand up, etc.).

HooKooDooKu
05-19-2014, 15:27
No underpad when used in a tent... when using in a shelter, I use the tent ground cloth as something under the pad just to make sure I don't do anything like get a splinter in the pad.

Deadeye
05-19-2014, 15:58
I carry 1/2 a z-rest anyway for a sit pad/afternoon lounging/whatever, and I do use it under my inflatable to extend its useful life. Plus, I can sleep the night and fix the pad in the morning if it leaks.

tf bear
05-19-2014, 15:59
No underpad. Like others ground cloth in shelter. I do have a fitted sheet to go on top. It does two things, I can open my bag and use like a blanket and it really keeps the noise down when rolling on the mattress

Just Bill
05-19-2014, 20:23
Not sure you can double dip the sale price and the 20% coupon, but 25% off sale is still a good deal.

While any pad can pop- I've got no complaints. Like others above- I use it in my shelter, or on top of it in a shelter. Tyvek sheet would work fine as well.

Most of us go with no groundsheet/footprint under our tent with no serious holes or damage. The Neo-Air is little different in durability.

Not over inflating (a mistake I was guilty of) not only makes it more comfy and easier to stay on top of, but also reduces the chance of puncture.

I also strongly recommend the Women's Neo-air. Slightly higher R Value,an ounce lighter, and at 5'10" I have no issue with the length.

Picked up a small size recently as well- at 8 ounces it's hard to justify still using a 3/4 foamie or thermarest self inflator when this pad is so much better.

Leanthree
05-19-2014, 21:08
Tyvek always goes under the pad whether in a shelter or a tent. No need for a foam pad unless it was really cold out in which case I'd double up.

If I were to go on a proper wilderness trip then a foam pad eliminates the slight risk of a leak.

QHShowoman
05-19-2014, 21:14
Not sure you can double dip the sale price and the 20% coupon, but 25% off sale is still a good deal.]

That's correct. You can't use the 20% off coupon on sale items.

But the sale prices are worth it. I bought a women's pad and am going to try it out this weekend...if I don't like it, I'll return it.

nastynate
05-19-2014, 21:31
I've never used anything but my tent floor under my xlite. Of course, I bought a large a promptly took a pair of scissors and an iron to it.

Venchka
05-19-2014, 22:01
The final price is 25% off. I ordered an XTherm on Friday. I had to go to the store to find something to use my 20% coupon on.
I don't plan to put anything under the XThem unless I am Cowboy camping in places like Big Bend.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

QiWiz
05-20-2014, 12:03
I use a piece of thin painters plastic when using a tarp. In tent I don't use anything under it (except tent floor).

+1
I use a groundcloth, sometimes just polychro, when tarping. I do check the area for sharp objects and remove them. No extra pad. My NeoAir XLite is unpunctured after quite a few trail nights (maybe 4-5 weeks worth?). On a thru hike, just need to be careful longer IMO. Extra pad defeats the purpose of carrying the lighter inflatable. In winter with temps into mid twenties or lower, I'll add a pad for more insulation from frozen ground. But that's a different issue.

Kerosene
05-20-2014, 21:51
I just use a polycryo ground cloth when on a lean-to floor and under my tent floor.

I have used an extra closed-cell pad in sub-freezing temps.

Lyle
05-20-2014, 23:13
I got a NeoTherm earlier this month for very cheap.

I procrastinated through the Member's 20% off. However, I got an offer for an REI Credit card. Pretty good deal. You get an extra 5% of any REI purchase added to your member dividend (15% total), you also get 1% of any other purchase from any retailer. Plus, once you get the card, if you have to charge something within 60 days you get a $100 discount on a future REI purchase. I got the card, charged some gasoline on it, paid the gas charge off immediately, and got my $100 certificate.

Also, they had a deal a while back, that if you bought $100 worth of REI merchandise in May, you got a $20 gift card valid for a couple of weeks in May. I bought a solar charger for an upcoming trip, so got the gift card.

I combined the two, and bought a NeoTherm for just about $60. Normally it would have been $179. Pretty good savings, since I was planning to get one anyway.

Just a heads up for others, that credit card deal is pretty good, and you only need to use it once to get the $100.

Lyle
05-20-2014, 23:21
Just wish I would have waited until the sale. Would have been even cheaper, 25% off, than $100 of remaining. Could have used the other $20 card on something else.

To keep this pertinent to OP. I've used a Thermarest ProLite for years. I only use a polycryo ground cloth under it in shelter or tarp. Never had a puncture. That said, one of the reasons I went with the NeoTherm as opposed to the NeoLite is the supposedly tougher materials used. They seem to be more durable on exam, and it was only 3 oz heavier. I got the "Medium" size, 66" length. Plenty for me since I sleep in the fetal position most of the time.

shakey_snake
05-21-2014, 00:40
Ever wear two condoms?

ScareBear
05-21-2014, 19:20
Ever wear two condoms?

HaHa!!

Now, that being said....we always use an ultralight ground sheet underneath the tent for two reasons.
1. Minimizes potential punctures, tear and wear on the tent floor.
2. Combined with the tent floor, minimizes the chance of something poking through and damaging your inflatable pad.

One other reason? The ground sheet extends two feet past the tent floor, thus creating a floor for the vestibule of the tent. Much improved over leaving the packs on dirt in a rainstorm...

Drybones
05-21-2014, 20:42
No underpad when used in a tent... when using in a shelter, I use the tent ground cloth as something under the pad just to make sure I don't do anything like get a splinter in the pad.

Same for me.

ShelterLeopard
05-25-2014, 02:55
I use a two foot long section I cut out of my old thermarest on top of my neoair, only when it is really cold outside. I lay it under my core, on top of my neoair, not underneath- does wonders! And I use the thermarest section as a situpon when the ground is super wet.