PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Amicalola to Springer tomorrow. Can someone explain the area?

Ricky&Jack
05-19-2014, 18:28
Im finally taking my Husky for our first overnight hike tomorrow. We have been to Amicalola but never the approach trail to Springer.

From what i "think" I read here, when you are on the approach trail and get close to springer, there is a camp site (not sure about water, toilet etc)....... And then somwhere past that first site, there is the begining of the trail (the plaque?)....... and then if i read right, there is another bigger camp site past the plaque?

I cant see a map that shows tent spots, the plaque, and other tent spots/water/toilets etc.

does somebody have a google image of springer mountain with the plaque, and camp sites etc listed?

Me and my dog have only done 3-6 mile hikes so this 8.9mile hike is sure to wear us out, and it would be good to know where to camp etc ahead of time so I can set camp as soon as is best.

Im not sure if the plaque, and camping spots are along the trail, or if theres a side trail etc to get to.

Just trying to plan ahead and figure the best place to camp, since Ill be with the dog etc.

saltysack
05-19-2014, 19:27
Toilet is behind biggest tree u can find... Dig and drop.....burry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Abatis1948
05-19-2014, 19:34
Good Luck on your hike. I'm sure you will learn all you need to know on the hike. I learn every time I go out.

v1rotate
05-19-2014, 19:46
Don't stop...it gets better!!!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Ricky&Jack
05-19-2014, 20:00
if this trip goes well, Ill plan to take him hiking from Amicalola to Neels gap in a few weeks.

No Directions
05-19-2014, 20:14
It will all come together for you tomorrow when you get out there. Don't sweat it. Once you get to the top of Springer if you continue north on the AT (the blazes will be blue on the approach then switch to white at the top) you will see signs for the shelter, privy and water. Do you have a trail map or AT guide book? They aren't mandatory but helpful.

Ricky&Jack
05-19-2014, 21:05
I have the A.T app (section 1) for iphone.

Okay, so youre saying first I come to the plaque, and then keep going a little ways north, It'll lead to shelter etc?

thats basically what I was looking for. Because I wasnt sure if the palque, and the shleters etc spurred off another trail etc.

But Im assuming there will be signs or atleast a few other people there, that I can follow/ask.

I appreciate it. Leaving about 6am and should get to Amicalola about 7:30am

Praha4
05-19-2014, 21:21
Black Gap shelter is a mile or two south of Springer Mtn as you hike the Approach Trail, you will see the placque at top of Springer, where the first white blaze appears, then just a short distance north you will see the sign for Springer Mtn Shelter blue blaze side trail. There is camping available at both shelters, plus you will see a lot of unmarked campsites along the approach trail and the AT. Have fun, it's a great hike.

Sarcasm the elf
05-19-2014, 21:53
I have the A.T app (section 1) for iphone.

Okay, so youre saying first I come to the plaque, and then keep going a little ways north, It'll lead to shelter etc?

thats basically what I was looking for. Because I wasnt sure if the palque, and the shleters etc spurred off another trail etc.

But Im assuming there will be signs or atleast a few other people there, that I can follow/ask.

I appreciate it. Leaving about 6am and should get to Amicalola about 7:30am

You'll do just fine. That is a well used section and I suspect that there will be more than a few folks on the that section of the trail, so if you have any issues there should be someone there to help you out or point you in the right direction.

Most important thing is to listen to your pup, if he's tired let him rest, if he limps or looks off then stop and check the pads of his feet, make sure he gets plenty of water, etc. The big thing is to make sure that he has fun as well. The dogs I hike with love to backpack so much that they get excited as soon as they see us pick up a backpack or trekking poles. Start your pup off slow and make sure he's having a good time, then hopefully you'll be able to say the same before too long.

With regards to water for the dog, one trick I've found is to carry a small plastic dish like the kind they use for Chinese food take out orders or the kind that Hummus is sold in and then to bring a separate wide mouth bottle (empty gatorade bottle) for the dog's water. When you stop you can fill his water dish and then when he's had what he wants you can bend the plastic dish enough to pour the water back into bottle. It will save you from wasting a lot of your own water.

MuddyWaters
05-19-2014, 22:05
You wont have any problem, you will see.
If I remember right Id say the springer shelter blue blaze side trail is a little ways past the summit plaque ,on the right.

If you reach a parking lot, you went too far.:)

Ricky&Jack
05-19-2014, 22:07
thanks. super excited.

Venchka
05-19-2014, 22:12
Don't over think this. You are going on an overnight out and back hike on the busiest trail in North America. Relax. Enjoy. Have fun.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Old_Man
05-20-2014, 12:27
I love this hike! So much fun! You might want to skip the steps up the falls though, especially with a dog. Did that with my dad the first time I went backpacking and the stairs had us worn-out before we even got to the trail! Have fun :)

jj2044
05-20-2014, 12:44
"Hiking Amicalola to Springer tomorrow. Can someone explain the area?" .... well there will be a lot of stairs at first, like 600 and they suck, then woods and a trail and a few small ups and downs, but nothing too bad. lol.... just relax, its easy (besides the stairs) , take your time and have fun !

Ricky&Jack
05-21-2014, 14:32
it took me 4.5 hours, and required 7 breaks to reach Black Gap Shelter from the top of the falls.... that was a ton of hills.

But on the way back, it only took 3 hours and 1 break. Soooo much better on the way back.

I also saw a bear and got some video of it on the trail 1/5 of a mile west of Black Gap Shelter.

MuddyWaters
05-21-2014, 20:24
Awesome! Bet yall had a good time.

Ricky&Jack
05-22-2014, 01:51
heres the quick video I made of the bear encounter.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1493825104163290&set=vb.100006074443162&type=2&theater