PDA

View Full Version : Dumb

skinnbones
05-19-2014, 21:10
I know this is so dumb to think about... Do I attempt my thru hike with a trusted, loyal, and eager large hiking stick I found in the woods over 10 years ago or leave it behind in exchange for brand new, light weight, and practical trek poles?

kayak karl
05-19-2014, 21:19
if its trusted and loyal stick with it. new one may be a deceptive and traitorous stick.

Miner
05-19-2014, 21:22
On a thru-hike, even the oldest of friends can develop issues hiking together and eventually split apart.

jimmyjam
05-19-2014, 21:59
I have several carved hiking staffs that I like, but real hiking/trekking poles work much better. Especially if your using them to hold up your shelter.

MuddyWaters
05-19-2014, 22:09
We came upon a hiker one day with a carved hiking stick. He had , if I remember correctly, about 7,500 miles on that stick.

HYOH. If it means something to YOU, that is all that matters.

Trailweaver
05-20-2014, 02:00
I had a hand carved, trusted friend too, which served me well through all of Georgia. Unfortunately, it was lost when I packed the car in a hurry to leave on one of my last trips, and was left at the trailhead for (hopefully) someone else to find and hike with.

I bought some hiking poles (2), and wasn't sure I'd love them. First trip out, I was convinced. I suggest you keep your old friend for short hikes and invest in some really good hiking poles for the long haul. If they keep you from falling just once, they're worth the investment.

rafe
05-20-2014, 06:49
There are a number of places on the trail where you'll need to stash your poles. When hitching, poles are of no use, and may put you at a disadvantage with regard to catching a ride. They're less of a threat when they're collapsed and strapped to your pack.

daddytwosticks
05-20-2014, 07:10
I know this is so dumb to think about... Do I attempt my thru hike with a trusted, loyal, and eager large hiking stick I found in the woods over 10 years ago or leave it behind in exchange for brand new, light weight, and practical trek poles?

Did you name your companion? Only take it if both of you are on a first name basis. If not get some modern trekking poles. :)

rocketsocks
05-20-2014, 07:18
I typically only take "ol' thumper" on day hikes. I prefer the ability to stow and go hands free when on even flat ground, and the modern treking poles allow me to do that....though I do miss my sturdy trusted one one at times.

Trillium
05-20-2014, 08:32
I typically only take "ol' thumper" on day hikes. I prefer the ability to stow and go hands free when on even flat ground, and the modern treking poles allow me to do that....though I do miss my sturdy trusted one one at times.
You're BACK! Good to see you Rocketsocks. Been worried about you.

HooKooDooKu
05-20-2014, 08:54
...Do I attempt my thru hike with a trusted, loyal, and eager large hiking stick...
If you like large but think the weight is a bit much for a long-haul hike, you can make a large light-weight hiking stick from bamboo. The stick I carry is as tall (or taller) than I am, and I like it that way for steep down hills and creek crossings. People I encounter and show my stick too are surprised at how light weight it is relative to its large size.

However, my hikes are long weekend hikes where I'm never needing to get a ride into town. So I can understand the arguments from those suggesting something that can collapse down. I've just never seen a hiking stick/pole that collapsed down that I liked (as I said, my pole is as tall as I am).

rocketsocks
05-20-2014, 08:55
You're BACK! Good to see you Rocketsocks. Been worried about you.
Hi Trillium...just recharging the battery's...thanks, doin well.

shakey_snake
05-20-2014, 09:35
If you manage to put 2200 miles on your old friend, I'd expect him to be about 8in shorter at the end of it.

Damn Yankee
05-20-2014, 09:52
I saw hundreds of thru-hikers at trail days with hiking sticks.

slbirdnerd
05-20-2014, 12:49
Do what makes you happy. Odyssa hiked with a mop handle and I think she is pretty cool. Just sayin'.

skinnbones
05-20-2014, 13:27
I thank all for their input and I'll begin my trek next spring with my stick. If it becomes an issue then I'll purchase trek poles in route and return my old friend to the deep woods from which it came.

Foresight
05-20-2014, 17:48
There are a number of places on the trail where you'll need to stash your poles. When hitching, poles are of no use, and may put you at a disadvantage with regard to catching a ride. They're less of a threat when they're collapsed and strapped to your pack.

So you're saying my bushaxe/walking stick is a bad choice?

RangerZ
05-20-2014, 22:36
Stick and I have done 1550 miles on various trails. Every so often I give him a new oak foot for his bamboo body. I'd miss him, doesn't say much but doesn't argue with me. Use him to pole vault across streams, try that with your Lekis.

astrogirl
05-22-2014, 21:12
I have ditched sticks completely, something people commented on when I did a section from Erwin to roan mtn a couple of weeks ago.

Go with the trusted friend, you don't NEED anything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lemon b
05-23-2014, 07:32
My experience is to begin with equipment which has worked in the past. Can always change on the walk