PDA

View Full Version : Camping Spot Tips in WV?

DCHiker
05-19-2014, 22:58
I'm meeting some family out in WV this weekend and we're looking for a good place to camp. We'll have a couple little ones so we're not looking to hike in anywhere. We'd like to meet up in/around the Monongahela National Forest where we can find a good spot off a forest service road. Basically, we're looking to car camp, but somewhere a little more isolated than a campground. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Wise Old Owl
05-19-2014, 23:47
Well I am sure there are plenty of spots - but if you want to stay legit, I googled Primitive sites Monongahela National Forest and understand - this one is along the river, which is a plus. I have done these places, you might want your own collapsible out house.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/mnf/recreation/camping-cabins/recarea/?recid=6988&actid=34

PD230SOI
05-20-2014, 06:14
It's been years but when stuck working in DC I would bug out to Dolly Sods in WVA when I could.

my memory of it was that it was the best place for a quick fix, and just stunning.

3_dogs
05-20-2014, 12:52
What area of the MNF?

I expect the Sods will be quite busy. It's always busy on weekends, especially holiday weekends. The Sods is a special place.

Here's some spots I can think of off the top of my head. All are free.

There are site along Canaan Loop Road between Blackwater Falls SP and Canaan Valley SP. Don't go too far out Canaan Loop road unless you have a high clearance 4wd. Also don't try to come in from Blackwater Falls SP.

There is a spot or 2 on the way to Olsen Tower between Parsons and Thomas.

There are several spots along Gandy Creek between Spruce Knob and Whitmer.

There is dispersed camping along Glady Fork and a campground at Gladwin where Glady Fork dumps into Dry Fork.

DCHiker
05-20-2014, 13:00
Thanks for the information. I love Dolly Sods, but it's going to be crazy since it's memorial day. I've camped a lot around the waites run and trout run area of the George Washington National Forest (around Wardensville). There are a ton of great spots around there. I'm meeting my brother and his family halfway between DC and Pittsburgh so the MNF is about the same distance for both of us. If there are spots in the GWNF I figure the same with the MNF. I'll let you know how it works out. Thanks again.