PDA

View Full Version : Having much difficulty finding a lightweight rucksack for my short torso, anyone help

d3v
05-20-2014, 05:27
Hi all. For years now I've been buying various packs only to sell them straight on because the fit is just too long for my torso.

I'm 5.10" male, but my torso is only 17.5". The only pack that has ever fitted me well is a Macpac persuit 50, however I want a lighter pack that is below 1500g, something like a Montane Grand Tour 55 or maybe something from Osprey, ect. I currently have a 1700g Haglofs Matrix 60 that is too long for my torso as the shoulder straps life up off my shoulders with a big gaping gap!

Anyone else with a short torso that has successfuly found a lightweight 45-60 litre rucksack that fits them nicely??

TroutknuT
05-20-2014, 05:35
Zpacks...custom build one. I love my Zpack, very light and waterproof.

d3v
05-20-2014, 05:45
I should of mnetioned i'm in the UK so can't really get hold of that type of bespoke gear. Also should of mentioned the pack much be able to carry at least 30lbs comfortably.

canoe
05-20-2014, 08:45
I should of mnetioned i'm in the UK so can't really get hold of that type of bespoke gear. Also should of mentioned the pack much be able to carry at least 30lbs comfortably.
Well it really does nt matter where you are. As far as I know they dont have a store front. Its all done on the internet.Now for the weight issue I am not sure what they have. All you have to do is look em up on the net.

Just Bill
05-20-2014, 09:06
Osprey Exos 58 pack- US$220- just came out a month or so ago. Excellent mainstream pack, perhaps the best I've seen if you don't want to go cottage gear. Ditch the brain (Hood on top) and this likely goes to 1kg even. In fact, it comes with an extra inner flap so that you can do just that. Well thought out, innovative UL pack. Has the typical small hip belt pouch and water bottle storage issues typical to Osprey packs.
Small- 1.15kg
58 Liters
Small Torso- fits 16-18 inches
I tried one on and loaded up with 40lbs, wore for an hour walking around the store and found it just fine, but the butterfly frame wraps my hips a bit tight. Only real complaint but many people love this feature. I do have a 36" waist and wide hips so I am not the ideal person for this hipbelt. So point being- will handle 30lbs just fine.
I believe that checks every box on your list mate.

http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/product/superlight/exos_58_1?tab=specifications
Also- you could buy from REI, they ship internationally and could score 20% off during their current sale.
http://www.rei.com/product/864669/osprey-exos-58-pack#specsTab

There is no Women's version of this pack, but if you haven't considered it yet- I would strongly reccomend trying some women's packs. As someone who worked with many youth groups and boys with short torso's- women's packs tend to be the best solution.

FWIW- Many Australians and Germans enjoy Z-packs gear- don't think there would be an issue getting one to the UK.

Odd Man Out
05-20-2014, 15:21
Well it really does nt matter where you are. As far as I know they dont have a store front. Its all done on the internet.Now for the weight issue I am not sure what they have. All you have to do is look em up on the net.

I think that would be true of a lot of the cottage companies. I have an Elemental Horizons Kalais that might fit your specs. It's rated for 35 lbs. Small fits up to 16" weighs 820 grams. Medium fits to 19" and weights 850 grams. They will make custom sizes and ship overseas.

http://www.elementalhorizons.com/kalaispack.aspx

Corsac
05-20-2014, 20:06
I am 6'1" and measure 18" have a medium Gossamer Gear Mariposa and ULA CDT both medium, both fit very well. For what it's worth.

Flounder940
05-22-2014, 12:17
Zimmerbuilt.com will custom build you a pack any way you want based on your measurements.

Venchka
06-30-2014, 12:08
Hi all. For years now I've been buying various packs only to sell them straight on because the fit is just too long for my torso.

I'm 5.10" male, but my torso is only 17.5". The only pack that has ever fitted me well is a Macpac persuit 50, however I want a lighter pack that is below 1500g, something like a Montane Grand Tour 55 or maybe something from Osprey, ect. I currently have a 1700g Haglofs Matrix 60 that is too long for my torso as the shoulder straps life up off my shoulders with a big gaping gap!

Anyone else with a short torso that has successfuly found a lightweight 45-60 litre rucksack that fits them nicely??

I was measured and fitted at REI recently for an Aether 60 liter pack. According to the Osprey Measuring Device, my torso is 18.5" and I am 5'-8" tall. In a matter of minutes, like maybe 2-3, the salesperson helping me had the pack on my back, tightened the belt, tugged a few adjusting straps and Presto! The pack fit me like a glove.

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Backpacks-Backpacking-Reviews/Osprey-Aether-60

Your 17.5" torso measurement is not short. Something seems amiss. Keep trying.

Wayne

shakey_snake
07-04-2014, 00:20
You can get one of the exped lightning packs (swiss company, should be available to you in the UK).

They come with a T-shaped stay that can be broken/hack-sawed off to your appropriate torso length.

Busky2
07-04-2014, 08:21
REI Flash 45 Pack provides an impressive level of carrying comfort for a pack this light—it's just over 2 pounds.

$129.00

The small at 45 lt is for 17 to 19 in torsos I have the large that is 50 lt for 18 to 20 in torsos. It is very light and I will pack for 5/6 days with 24 lbs total with food and 1 lt. of water and am very comfortable with it. I carry the water on my pack shoulder straps.

Feral Bill
07-04-2014, 12:28
You might find what you want marketed as a children's pack. There are some fine ones out there.