PDA

View Full Version : Culver's Gap, NJ to Delaware Water Gap, PA - advice?

somers515
05-20-2014, 08:11
I'm planning a hike with my 9 year-old son and intend on parking at Culver's Gap and hiking 10-15 miles to Blue Mountain Road (heard there are some decent spots to tent there) or the Mohican Outdoor Center and then hiking the remaining 10-12 miles or so the next day. Is there any mass transit/bus or shuttle options to get back to my car or do I just have to splurge for a taxi? Any advice or other suggestions about this plan? Thanks in advance!

SilentBob
05-20-2014, 08:23
Never used them but here is website with prices http://www.edgeofthewoodsoutfitters.com/athikershuttleinfo.html

rocketsocks
05-20-2014, 08:52
I used "edge of the woods" before, and would do so again. Expect to pay about 2 bones a mile...if memory serves.
Whata bagin!

moose717
05-20-2014, 11:04
I've used George Lightcap several times. He charges what "you" think is fair. [email protected]. As a matter of fact, I used him for my first section hike with my son. He took us from Culver's Gap down to DWG (the parking on 80, can't ever remember the name) and he took some pictures for us starting out. Real nice guy. Retired teacher.

Deco
05-20-2014, 18:49
July 2013 my wife, Lynn and I hiked the NJ section of the AT. Beatnikhiker rocks!!!!! And there is plenty of good camping throughout. I would only go to Mohican if you needed supply's or a sandwich for your son. Other than that it wouldn't be worth it for such a short trip. Have a blast we thought Jersey was spectacular!!!!

Shipfixer
05-21-2014, 11:53
I hiked NJ last year. There is limited tent sites near Blue Mountain Rd and you're close to an area which posts "active bear community" signs. Also, the water pump was missing the handle last year. Maybe someone can update you on the current status of the pump at blue mountain Rd.

I used Edge of the Woods Outfitter for a shuttle and was very pleased... right on time and got me where I was going without a problem. Would definetly recommend them. The town of DWG is really nice...good place to end the trip...lots of places to eat and very resonable.

Hope you & your son have a greta hike!

somers515
05-26-2014, 08:08
Instead of starting at Culver's Gap and heading to DWG, we started at DWG and ended 18 miles later at Blue Mountain Lakes Road. Just wanted to reduce the mileage a little. Camped at Mohican Outdoor Center (made things easy having a picnic bench, bear box, water spigot and privy). Other posters are right the water pump handles are missing, I heard its because the water wasn't potable so they took off the handles rather then just put up a sign that says "not potable" - sigh. Weather was great though and the hiking was terrific! We met a few long-distance section hikers and two NOBO thru hikers (professor turtle and nails I believe their trail names were). Saw a bear and cub cross the trail just north of the DWG. We used George Lightcap for the shuttle back from Blue Mountain Lakes Road to our car parked at DWG and he was great. Thank you everyone for the tips!