PDA

View Full Version : jailhouse hostel, palmerton, pa

rustmd
05-20-2014, 12:05
question: will the jailhouse hostel accept food resupply packages? if not, is the Palmerton P.O. near the jailhouse hostel? i am planning a section hike, will stay 1 night at jailhouse & want to pick up my resupply box at or near the hostel.

thanks,
.com

Starchild
05-20-2014, 14:13
I don't see how the Jailhouse Hostel could take a package as often no one but hikers are there and the police let you in.

You pass the PO from the trail and it is close to the hostel

RED-DOG
05-20-2014, 16:58
No the Jail House Hostel does not except mail drops, They have GREAT shower facilities, But their is no Alcohol Permitted on the property, you do pass the P.O In Route to the Hostel, Also their is an amazing Grocery store Right Next Door to the Hostel and they have everything a hiker needs or desires, The laundry Mate is directly across the road from the Hostel, However a great place it is to stay sometimes it is a pain in the but to contact a police officer to sign in cause their is only one police officer on duty at any one time so you might have to hang around the police station for a while until some one shows up, But be prepared to show a picture ID they will NOT let you in the Hostel without one. Good Luck and Happy Hiking.

PS remember their is a Blue Blaze leading from the AT to the backside of the Town it is a little safer and a little faster than the main road, i learned this the hard way.

AT_Walker
05-20-2014, 20:05
Stayed there last night. Red Dogs description is spot on. Good luck finding open wifi anywhere in town as the local internet provider won't allow it. You need to be a customer of theirs to log on , even at the library.

Follow me at:
2014nobo.wordpress.com

Ricky&Jack
05-21-2014, 14:30
is that hostel at an actual jail or something?

Im assuming cause of the name, and you all are mentioning a cop on duty.

RED-DOG
05-21-2014, 15:14
is that hostel at an actual jail or something?

Im assuming cause of the name, and you all are mentioning a cop on duty.

It's the Old Jail, after they built a new one they converted the old jail into a YMCA type thing and they allow hikers to sleep in the basement thats where the bunk house is, when you first walk in the front door you pass some offices, and then they show you the Gymnasium and shower facilities and they give you one Towel, NO their is not a cop on duty at the hostel but they do watch it when they have people staying their, but yes in order to stay their you have to stop at the police station "which you pass in route to the hostel", sign in and show them your ID and then they will run your ID to make sure you don't have any Warrants any place, but like i said in my earlier post you might have to hang aroud for a while until you see an officer, But it is an AWESOME place to stay, on both my stays their the local girl scouts brought us cookies and orange juice, they also have a nice town park you can walk through and hang out in.

Ricky&Jack
05-21-2014, 15:18
that sounds pretty neat. I'll be sure to remember that place.

Starchild
05-21-2014, 17:37
I've heard it was never used as a jail, it is just the basement of town hall getting it's name and further elaborated reputation because one needs to sign in with the police.

Would like to know the truth of this.

On Edit, from David Miller's "The AT Guide"

"Spacious basement of the borough hall was never used as a jail"

rustmd
05-21-2014, 19:42
all great information shared. . .thanks everyone! i'll most surely stop by on my june section hike.

.com

Tennessee Y'sGuy
05-22-2014, 00:45
"Rocksylvania" was a state my poor feet will never forget. However the trail towns and people of PA hold fond memories for me and many of my class mates of 2012. Palmerton was an easy hitch in waiting near the stoplight as you get off the trail.We (4 of us) did wait awhile at the police station to sign in - the building was never used as a jail - and everything you need from restaurants to resupply is within a block or two. Got there on a Saturday - zeroed on Sunday - went to a wonderful church service on the edge of the town park - were invited to their church picnic - then came back that evening with a blanket and listened to an Italian Band play in the Park Bandstand - got an easy ride the next morning to climb Lehigh Gap.Would love to go back some day to visit again! Enjoy your section hike!

Grampie
05-22-2014, 10:22
The "Jail House Hostel" is a nice stop for a AT thru-hiker. It's not a true hostel, like a lot of others, but the down stairs of a city municiple building that started out as a emergency shelter. Great location in the center of town with resupply and eating places near by. A great shower room and nice bunks. Stop by if you at hiking. You won't regret stopping.

Blue Mountain Edward
05-26-2014, 01:42
I could not find the policeman to checkin. Other hikers showed me the back door and I walked in and did not check in. It was almost full and I felt lucky and entitled to get a bunk.

Don H
05-26-2014, 08:18
You check in at the front desk at the entrance if it's before 4pm on weekdays.

shelb
06-03-2014, 00:02
Library internet will work if you take 5 minutes to complete a guest pass. (not wifi). but you can use their computers.