PDA

View Full Version : Hiking after heartattack

myfix28
05-20-2014, 14:04
Hello,

Just a quick question to the masses. Recently, I actually had a heart attack at the age of 41. I know there will be some time to recover, but would like to see if others have gone through this and how they changed the way they hiked. I don't want this to detour me from going back out there since it's something I'm really passionate about. Just would like to see what others did and how they felt after something like this.

Thanks

Lone Wolf
05-20-2014, 14:20
just after i turned 50 i had a big heart attack and quadruple by-pass. 2 months later i was running

peakbagger
05-20-2014, 15:44
I am going on a hike this weekend with someone who had at least a triple and finished doing all 48 4000 footers in NH every month of the year a couple of years after. He changed his lifestyle after his heart attack. At 41 you probably got dealt a "bad card" genetically but lifestyle can do wonders.

WILLIAM HAYES
05-20-2014, 19:00
met two section hikers a few years ago both had had heat attacks and surgery they were in their early 60's and clocking about 15 to 20 each day they told me they were diligent about doing their rehab after their surgery worked out ever day and said they never had better energy levels do your rehab and go for it. I am genetically predeposed for coronary issues i take 3 gram of omega 3's, 500 mg arginine vitamin e coenzyme Q 10 and a baby aspirin each day been doing it for years plus watch my diet my cardiologist loves me if you take statins which i dont be aware they have some very bad side effects most physicians dont mention e.g., muscle issues ,neuropathy, and short term memory loss

bangorme
05-20-2014, 19:25
What did your cardiologist say about this?

Likes2travel
05-21-2014, 07:23
I had my first MI at 41 also, have had three more in the past 11 years, 7 stents total. I still do, go, where I want, maybe just not as fast. When you feel tired STOP right then, not 5 or 10 minutes later. You needing to stop times will get to be less and less. Listen to what your boy s telling you.

myfix28
05-21-2014, 07:35
Thanks for the info. I'm sure many have had this happen and still hike a ton still. For now, I'm trying to keep hikes to just day stuff where I'm not far out away from services etc. I won't get a thumbs up till July when I see the doctor. Expect to get one though. Only 1 stent for me, but this was blockage from bad eating habits and little bad genes. Rude awakening and note to self to smart'n up.

Cookerhiker
05-25-2014, 20:22
Hello,

Just a quick question to the masses. Recently, I actually had a heart attack at the age of 41. I know there will be some time to recover, but would like to see if others have gone through this and how they changed the way they hiked. I don't want this to detour me from going back out there since it's something I'm really passionate about. Just would like to see what others did and how they felt after something like this.

Thanks

You may want to contact Dennis Blanchard, aka K1YPP here on Whiteblaze. His book of his AT hike - Three Hundred Zeros - was so named because of his cardiac emergency forcing him off the trail in Virginia for bypass surgery. He's on WB or contact him via his website (http://www.threehundredzeroes.com/). Also, I enjoyed the book. It featured the best humor of any AT book I've read - and that includes A Walk in the Woods.

WILLIAM HAYES
05-25-2014, 21:15
he said good stuff do some research on the items i mentioned they all have positive benefits