PDA

View Full Version : Planning Winter Hike Jan 01 '06 ... TIPS?

papabear
09-27-2005, 07:29
Starting Hike Jan. 01 '06 for a winter hike / expedition. Hoping to find out as much info, directly through these replies as possible. I have hiked extensively in Alaska, Scotland and England. I'm very used to cold weather and prefer it, but I have never hiked the AT nor any trails on the Eastern Seaboard. I am also unaware if there has been loss of life during these months, but would like to know. Sorry for the morbidity, but just thought I would parse the subject in full.

Any advice on the subject, other than "don't go" would be appreciated. I love winter hiking and cold weather ops and hope to find some others who share the same interest.

Let me know.

Papabear
:cool:

jlb2012
09-27-2005, 08:07
well starting at Springer is probably a good idea - New Years Eve on Springer is a bit of a traditional send off party and generally a good time.

As to loss of life - yeah it happens sometimes to even very good hikers - best advice is to hike with someone that way you can each keep an eye on the other looking out for hypothermia (aka the 'umbles) in the other. Hiking solo increases your risk but if you are _very_ careful to observe the starting signs of hypothermia and get warm at the earliest possible time you should be OK also - the biggest risk is pushing on and getting cold enough to where the 'umbles start and your brain shuts down.

the goat
09-27-2005, 08:38
finished my '01 thru on springer on dec. 23rd. cold as hell, but not bad enough to make me think it was very dangerous......as long as you've got the right gear that is.

The Solemates
09-27-2005, 08:48
you will be fine. we started 2/1, when it was just as cold as 1/1. albeit, we only had winter conditions for 1.5-2 months, where you will have them for 2-3 months. if you are prepared, you will be fine. expect several nights below 0, short days, and lots of snow.

Two Speed
09-27-2005, 08:57
Papa Bear

What's your itinerary? I'm toying with the idea of hiking north from Damascus to Sugar Grove, VA Jan 14 - 21. That'll include the Grayson Highlands of course. Think you'll be in the area? May be able to split a shuttle, driving, etc. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

HOI

My experience is in the southeast, Georgia more than anywhere else, and I'm reconsidering/revising/replacing my winter hiking gear as I get further north on the AT. I've been trying to decide if a pair of snowshoes would be advisable for this trip. Need 'em or am I being paranoid? I've managed to sneak through the north half of the Smokies in January with a pair of Yak Trax but I'm not sure how far north I want to push that concept.

I have pretty much decided I would like to get a down jacket as well. Good idea or uneccesary expense in your opinion?

Lone Wolf
09-27-2005, 09:07
Two Speed, PM or e-mail me when you're close to leaving. I can help with shuttling. Heck I might join you for a coupla days.

Alligator
09-27-2005, 09:19
Give us an idea of where you would like to start from.

The Solemates
09-27-2005, 09:20
Papa Bear

What's your itinerary? I'm toying with the idea of hiking north from Damascus to Sugar Grove, VA Jan 14 - 21. That'll include the Grayson Highlands of course. Think you'll be in the area? May be able to split a shuttle, driving, etc. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

HOI

My experience is in the southeast, Georgia more than anywhere else, and I'm reconsidering/revising/replacing my winter hiking gear as I get further north on the AT. I've been trying to decide if a pair of snowshoes would be advisable for this trip. Need 'em or am I being paranoid? I've managed to sneak through the north half of the Smokies in January with a pair of Yak Trax but I'm not sure how far north I want to push that concept.

I have pretty much decided I would like to get a down jacket as well. Good idea or uneccesary expense in your opinion?

Ive done the mt rogers area twice in the winter. once over christmas (6 inches of fresh snow) and once during the first week in march (14 inches of fresh snow). in addition to that, i have also done much of the AT and other hiking in the southeast during winter, and in my experience snowshoes are never needed. in my mind, i cannot justify the extra weight that would have to be carried. I have hiked in blizzard-like conditions while 2-3 feet of snow is on the ground and I find it is never really that difficult to trudge through this with a heavy waterproof boot and perhaps gaiters. while i have never tried snowshoes during these types of hikes, my feeling is that they would not gain you any ground. the fresh soft snow would still find you sinking down and the added weight and cumbersomeness of snowshoes would hinder you further. i would reserve snowshoes for the high-snow, non-compacted conditions often found in the west. ....just my two cents..

Two Speed
09-27-2005, 09:45
Solemates: Thanks for the tip.

Lone Wolf: Will do.

jlb2012
09-27-2005, 09:55
HOI

wrt snowshoes it mainly depends on where you are hiking - south of Mason Dixon line you probably won't _need_ them but they might come in handy a couple times - instep crampons/yaktrax are more useful and I would probably carry them or possibly use the Flyin Brian approach of sheet metal screws in the soles of the shoes/boots. I would most likely use some gaiters most of the time in winter to keep the snow out of my shoes. The further north you are hiking the more useful the snowshoes will become.

wrt down jacket - I use one for in camp / sleep use - I would not use one for hiking - look for one with large pockets to keep stuff from freezing overnight.

Alligator
09-27-2005, 10:06
I have pretty much decided I would like to get a down jacket as well. Good idea or uneccesary expense in your opinion?A good warm jacket is a good idea in the middle of winter. I don't have a down jacket, but I have two polarguard 3D jackets. I take the heavier one in the middle of winter. It's mostly overkill, but I bring it because I still use a 20 bag w/liner (South of VA). My clothes make up the difference, including the parka. If I had a warmer bag (X-mas!), I would go with the lighter jacket in the south. My hiking buddy gets by just fine with his lighter jacket (same brand). You'll get a weight savings with the down, and likely extra warmth. Depends on the quality of the down jacket. I'm not so sure about what fill of down is similar to polarguard or PL1. Weight vs. cost.

Good point about pockets HOI.

papabear
09-27-2005, 10:31
Everybody ... these are some excellent and well-seasoned replies. Many thanks to all of you in regards to this thread.

I am planning on being at Springer on Jan 1st and taking my first steps out at sunlight. I'll be leaving from Burbank, CA just after christmas with my Quatermaster / Wife who will see me off at the access point via Taxi or other means.

I agree with the thought about snowshoes, but have no experience in that climate regarding the wet snow, but the many times I have used them, they have been of benefit, however - the conditions always dictate thier useability.

I am curious to know what an experienced AT thru-hikers winter gear list would look like, even the ideal list, regardless of cost.

Again, many thanks

Papabear

The Solemates
09-27-2005, 10:58
Cold Weather Gear We/I Carry

Gregory Zpack
Mtn Hdwr Waypoint II
Mtn Hdwr Tioga 5 deg down bag
Full length Zrest (on shorter cold weather trips I take a 1/2" thermarest, but I wouldnt [and didnt] on a thru-hike)

Ex Oficio convertible pants with built-in liner
Patagonia Capilene long sleeve Zip-Tee
Patagonia Capilene long underwear bottoms
LL Bean 100-pile mock-zip microfleece
TNF 300-pile fleece jacket
Marmot Precip rain jacket
Marmot Precip rain pants
Mtn Hdwr Windstopper fleece hat
2 Bandanas
2 pair expedition weight synthetic blend socks
200-pile fleece socks
Wool convertible mitt/gloves (made for hunters)
OR shell overmittens
Merrell Grand Traverse boots

I am comfortable to temps just below 0F with this gear.

JimSproul
09-27-2005, 14:07
Hey Papbear -

I recent posted a similar request. If my current contract runs out in December I already have the okay to do a winter trip. I plan to go up the approach trail New Years Eve (day) and head north on the first. If the weather is good I am going to jump off the trail at Fontana Dam. Based on the people I talked with I do not plan to take snowshoes but Yaktrax, the rubber and steel gadgets, also I have tall overboots to take instead of my camp shoes.

Check out HydroHeidi's journal on trailjournals. She start off from spring 1/1.

Check wih me when it gets close we may be able to share transport or something.

papabear
09-27-2005, 15:29
Jim,

That sounds awesome, hopefully you'll be able to break free. So many of my friends and family out here found themselves too tied into work and couldn't seperate for the 6 months that was needed. Really looking forward to the trip on Jan 1st. Thanks for the journal info., will check it out.

Papabear

LIhikers
09-27-2005, 18:17
While you may not want to start out with snowshoes, I'd say have some boxed up and ready to ship. Depending on the snow conditions you may, or may not, want to use them. I find using snowshoes much easier than spending the day postholing.

Two Speed
09-29-2005, 19:24
wrt snowshoes it mainly depends on where you are hiking - south of Mason Dixon line you probably won't _need_ them but they might come in handy a couple times - instep crampons/yaktrax are more useful and I would probably carry them or possibly use the Flyin Brian approach of sheet metal screws in the soles of the shoes/boots. I would most likely use some gaiters most of the time in winter to keep the snow out of my shoes. The further north you are hiking the more useful the snowshoes will become.

wrt down jacket - I use one for in camp / sleep use - I would not use one for hiking - look for one with large pockets to keep stuff from freezing overnight.

Thanks. I've decided to forgo the snowshoes for now and concentrate on getting a good down jacket or sweater. So far, the Western Mountaineering Flite looks like the best combination of price and weight. Probably overkill, but I'll be carrying a 20 degree sleeping bag so I'm going for the "spare" insulation.

The Solemates
09-30-2005, 10:16
Thanks. I've decided to forgo the snowshoes for now and concentrate on getting a good down jacket or sweater. So far, the Western Mountaineering Flite looks like the best combination of price and weight. Probably overkill, but I'll be carrying a 20 degree sleeping bag so I'm going for the "spare" insulation.

You could easily freeze your butt off with a 20 degree bag. I would take something warmer. The last time I was there in March it was around 10 degrees at night and the wind was howling. You are going to be there in January, which has the potential to reach well below 0F.

Two Speed
09-30-2005, 10:28
You could easily freeze your butt off with a 20 degree bag . . . Yeah, I might, and I'd like more advice on this trip, but I feel like I've hijacked papabear's thread, so I'm going to start a new thread this evening. Maybe something along the lines of "Will Two Speed freeze his keister off?"