PDA

View Full Version : Trail Days and Thru-Hikers

Damn Yankee
05-20-2014, 18:32
It was 2:30pm on Thursday when I finally pulled into the Ming Garden Restaurant. You see, I had given Thru-hiker Solepower(Aaron) my phone number and told him to call me when he got to Waynesboro well, thinking I gave him my cellphone number I did not think to check the home phone. At 2:00pm I checked for messages on the home phone and sure enough, it was Solepower but, the message was left at 11:00am and it was pouring rain that day also. So, after checking the messages, I called him and said I was on my way, he asked if it would be ok to bring another hiker along and being the nice people my wife and I are said sure. Ok, 2:30pm I arrive to pick up Solepower and his guest (Chamomile)I believe her name was Janelle(sorry if the spelling is wrong)We gathered up their stuff and threw it in the back of the Jeep and headed back to my place(with the windows down if you catch my drift)Once we got to my place, I showed them to the camper, told them to make themselves at home and when they were ready, to come in wash some clothes and take showers. While they did their thing, I cooked up a 2lb pork lion, 5 chicken breast, 7 potatoes, 8 carrots, onions and celery. While this cooked, they wrote letters in which stamps were given and letters placed in mailbox, they also wrote in their journals and made phone calls. Overnight they charged electronics. I woke up early the next morning, Friday the day we drive to Trail Days. While they cleaned up and packed their gear and placed it in the Jeep, I made a large batch of sausage gravy and home-made biscuits, 1dz. eggs, tons of fresh fruit and veggies with breakfast.

The good-byes were said and the three of us headed on down the road and head on down, down, down the road. I am at MM222 and the Damascus exit is at 29, a lot further than I realized. We arrived about 1:30pm and went our separate ways but, before we did, we set a time to meet back at the Jeep on Sunday, 3:00. We had an awesome time, glad I didn't miss it although, I never did catch up with the WB Gang. Before we hit the road I also picked up (BigTex) Paul and his son Caleb, I can't remember his trail name. We head back on the long road, tired from lack of sleep and I drop them all off at the YMCA Tent field in Waynesboro where they will get some rest, resupply and head on back to the AT. I wish them nothing but good and a safe journey. I hope you enjoyed the story. By the way, other than a few scattered showers on Friday afternoon, the weather was perfect.