PDA

View Full Version : Mashipacong & Gren Anderson Shelters - Q's about leaving trail magic

jjtrindc
05-20-2014, 19:38
Day hiking with my family from Mashipcaong to Culvers Gap and want to leave some packaged food behind. I had a few questions...

Is it too early? Seems through hikers should be pushing through NJ pretty soon if they aren't there already (we aren't from the area).

Do both shelters have bear boxes? Of so, how big? I don't want to show up with too much :-)

Are jugs of water a good idea? We are getting dropped at Mashipcaong, so we can bring a few with us.

Any other ideas of what would be appreciated at that point, either in terms of food or supplies?

Thanks!

rafe
05-20-2014, 23:14
A bit early for thru-hikers in NY just yet. Most of 'em still in VA. As I recall Gren Anderson had a decent stream nearby. I don't recall a bear box, but I might have missed it.

Old Grouse
05-21-2014, 08:48
Mashipacong has a good size bear box. I don't recall one at Gren Anderson shelter.

Berserker
05-21-2014, 11:48
From my recollection there was some trash in some of the bear boxes when I did that section. So I personally wouldn't recommend leaving anything in a bear box, or at a shelter as it might just be perceived as trash.

Not to start a debate, but if someone wants to do "trail magic" by giving things out like food, I think that person should personally deliver the items to hikers (i.e. hang out by the trail or something like that). Leaving food somewhere is just asking for it as far as attracting bears and other animals.

rafe
05-21-2014, 15:42
Not to start a debate, but if someone wants to do "trail magic" by giving things out like food, I think that person should personally deliver the items to hikers (i.e. hang out by the trail or something like that). Leaving food somewhere is just asking for it as far as attracting bears and other animals.

I think that's generally good advice.

RED-DOG
05-21-2014, 16:01
From my recollection there was some trash in some of the bear boxes when I did that section. So I personally wouldn't recommend leaving anything in a bear box, or at a shelter as it might just be perceived as trash.

Yep i totally agree, bears are active in this area. and PLEASE don't do the Ice Chest thing either thats just BAD LNT practices

jjtrindc
05-21-2014, 19:26
Thanks all, this is helpful for me/my family. We are relatively inexperienced when it comes to bears beyond the basics of what we've read. Had not realized the smell could escape enough from the bear box to attract them. The last thing I want to do is create an issue for hikers or alter the behavior of the local wildlife. We'll carry some of the food with us and distribute if we come across any through or section hikers. Oh, and totally agree on the cooler, that was never part of the plan!

no-name
05-22-2014, 09:41
There was a bear box at Gren Anderson Shelter last September, when I was there. It looked to be in good shape.