PDA

View Full Version : My 20 lbs Pack

Tuckahoe
05-20-2014, 19:48
This past weekend was a bit of a bust for me, as I tried to head up to Harpers Ferry for a weekend hike.

I did surprise myself when I threw my pack on the scale and the weight came to 20 pounds total weight (including food and water).

I tend to average 1.25 to 1.5 lbs of food per day, but this trip I attempted to go stoveless and came up with 3.5 lbs food for two days. That little bit of extra food weight was about equal to the weight of my cook kit.

I do not consider myself a lightweight hiker. More accurately I would say that I have become minimalist, and cut out all that extra stuff that I just havent used.

This was everything that I pack for a trip...
27076 27075

And a close up...

Top left is my rain jacket, then below that my extra clothes -- shorts, shirt, drawers, wool socks, liner socks, and a fleece.

The black/green compression sack is my top quilt and the orange/gray sack is my bottom quilt, and the little red one is my pillow.

In the middle is my towel, soap, tooth paste, brush, and floss, bug spray and medication. The white box is my first aid kit and sitting on it is a lighter and mini-multi tool. And to the right Are the two 20oz soda bottles as water bottles and Sawyer filter and that all important TP.

Then finally on the far right, my tarp, hammock, and pole bag holding the spreader bars and tarp stakes. mymmap and compass are still in the pack.

So that's everything and this is what takes me comfortably from a couple days to a week.

saltysack
05-21-2014, 06:52
U could loose those stuff sacks...go with trash compactor bag as quilts and sleeping bags tend to carry better not in stuff sacks ... JMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tuckahoe
05-21-2014, 07:14
Actually I am quite happy with the compression and stuff sacks. The quilts are synthetic, and the pack volume that the quilts and food go into is less than 35L, so I selected the sacks to get the best compression and maximize the bag's volume.

The other two stuff sacks for my tarp and hammock are bishop bags, which allow greater ease of set up and take down of the hammock and tarp.

saltysack
05-21-2014, 07:23
What ever works for u......I'm just going from my exp with my ula circuit pack. It carries better when filled out vs several football sized stuff sack ...20 lbs includes water and food sure sounds light to me!!!

Tuckahoe
05-21-2014, 08:25
What ever works for u......I'm just going from my exp with my ula circuit pack. It carries better when filled out vs several football sized stuff sack ...20 lbs includes water and food sure sounds light to me!!!

Sure, and that is the nature of the Circuit and other packs that are essentially just a large single bag. That is how they are intended to work and is how I would have probably packed it as well. I came close to getting a Circuit, but instead I bought the Kelty PK50 which is a bit different than the Circuit. The pack works much better if I am able to compress my quilts.

Now my next goal is to actually get me daily food weight to 12-16 ounces a day, regardless if I am going with or without a stove.

Heres a quick video that covers the PK 50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orFeP2GqtIk

One other note, I have taken to putting my inflated pillow into the clothes bag and using that as a much larger pillow.