PDA

View Full Version : Percentage of Pack to Body Weight?

PackHorse
05-20-2014, 20:06
Introduction... Hi, new to this forum. I've been enjoying all of your posts, but haven't seen an answer to a question I have. Although there is a lot of talk about pack weights in general, is there any pack to body weight percentage that would be considered optimal? The situation is that I'm 5' 107lbs. I have done a lot to lighten my pack, but am not to the point yet where I am skilled enough to go Ultralight. My pack for a 3 day/2night has been weighing about 23 lbs. I am planning a 7 day section hike and have pack weighed at 25 lbs. 25 lbs for 107 lbs. body weight, is that doable for 7 days? 25 lbs would not be a make or break for a 175 lb man, but is that to high a percentage for me? Also, should note it's a solo hike.

Thank You...
Linda

Feral Bill
05-20-2014, 20:28
It depends. For a strong, lean person of your weight, 25 lbs would likely be okay. For a sofa spud beginner, maybe not. You'll likely to be happier than us larger folks if you pare away at your pack hard. Let experience guide you.

chiefiepoo
05-20-2014, 20:29
Certainly your 25 lbs is well within a typical range for extended trips. My observation with lighter, smaller, fitness oriented females is that they can and do carry more than 25% of body weight. I'd be more concerned about solo hiking, but then you might be in a bubble with plenty of people around should trouble arise. AT, no problem being solo, IMHO. Solo in remote Montana or Colorado, not the best idea but many do it. I hiked from Neels Gap to NOC with a young lady of similar stature. From the back, she looked like a pack with arms and legs attached. She could eat a lot of ice cream at Neels.

Malto
05-20-2014, 20:53
I believe you are thinking about this wrong. What difference does it make what is optimal? From a comfort standpoint, the lighter the better. Get as light as you are comfortable with and go for it. If it doesn't work then it will motivate you to lighten up further. If it works, whatever that may mean to you then stay or lighten up whichever is your choice. There is no answer to your question, sorry.

4shot
05-20-2014, 20:55
Introduction... Hi, new to this forum. I've been enjoying all of your posts, but haven't seen an answer to a question I have. Although there is a lot of talk about pack weights in general, is there any pack to body weight percentage that would be considered optimal? The situation is that I'm 5' 107lbs. I have done a lot to lighten my pack, but am not to the point yet where I am skilled enough to go Ultralight. My pack for a 3 day/2night has been weighing about 23 lbs. I am planning a 7 day section hike and have pack weighed at 25 lbs. 25 lbs for 107 lbs. body weight, is that doable for 7 days? 25 lbs would not be a make or break for a 175 lb man, but is that to high a percentage for me? Also, should note it's a solo hike.

Thank You...
Linda assuming you are fit as others have said you will be fine. my wife does week long section hikes with about the same ratio and she is ok. You don't mention your miles per day expectations. the problem that I have seen with women's gear is that it is not proportionally lighter. I am 6' taller and 60 lbs. heavier than my wife but my sleeping bag weighs just a few ounces more than hers for example. etc.

The Solemates
05-20-2014, 21:24
My wife and I both carry about 20 lb packs for a typical long weekend hike. For me, thats only about 9% of my body weight. For her, that's about 15%. It doesn't seem to slow her down any.

Kerosene
05-20-2014, 21:44
As others note, there are several factors that come into play here, including prior backpacking experience, fitness level, ideal bodyweight, and pack comfort. You certainly would not be characterized as overweight at 5'0"/107 lbs; if you have a decent level of fitness and a well-fitted pack, then what I've found is that carrying a pack that is 15-20% of your bodyweight (16-21.5 lbs in your case) is a sweet spot.

On her first trip, my 107-lb, 5'5" daughter only carried 16 pounds (I carried 31 with 5 pounds of her stuff). She hardly felt the pack. On our next trip I bumped her up to 20 pounds and she was fine. These were NC AT hikes in mid-May, but she carried a 20-degree bag while I was too hot in a 35.

It is highly likely that you can carry a 25-lb pack and be just fine. Note that you will be carrying more food starting out than you will be at your next re-supply point. With a 23-lb pack you are certainly within hailing distance, so I wouldn't worry about it until you get above 25. Just keep track of each piece of equipment (usage and weight) and figure out what you can lighten/leave the next trip.

MuddyWaters
05-20-2014, 23:05
Rule of thumb is a maximum of about 40% of bodyweight for adults, maybe 30% for kids.

Less, is of course highly encouraged.

Personally, I prefer under 20 lb at all times. I grudgingly accept more as needed.

PackHorse
05-20-2014, 23:48
I guess the word "optimal" was incorrect. I was looking for a number that I shouldn't go above so that I wouldn't limit my chances of success. I definitely would like to be in the 16-20% range, but am glad to hear that I could be well above that. I will work towards getting the bpw down (currently just under 20). The big issue seems to be that I'm so cold natured. Another thought is maybe I can have someone meet me at a crossing with resupply ( and a big salad). It is good to hear that other women my size have carried this weight comfortably.

Thank You..
Linda

bamboo bob
05-21-2014, 06:55
Rule of thumb is a maximum of about 40% of bodyweight for adults, maybe 30% for kids..
I never heardrd that. 40% of me would be 100 pounds. I could carry five packs and let my friends slack. Or not.

Sarcasm the elf
05-21-2014, 08:32
I never heardrd that. 40% of me would be 100 pounds. I could carry five packs and let my friends slack. Or not.

40% of your body weight was once a common reference number, mercifully i havent heard it used much since the early 1990's. Keep in mind that the 40% advice was usually intended for strong skinny young men that were in the scouts or the military and who usually carried a lot of extra gear that you wouldn't associate with modern long distance backpacking.

HooKooDooKu
05-21-2014, 09:54
Rule of thumb is a maximum of about 40% of bodyweight for adults, maybe 30% for kids.
The number I've heard... especially as it applies to kid (or at least beginners) is 20% of your body weight.

colorado_rob
05-21-2014, 10:07
When we go on big mountain expeditions, with 50+ pound packs (by necessity; tons of food, fuel and climbing gear), my poor petite wife is up in the 45-50% category. Sometimes needs must! But yeah, I subscribe to keeping it 20% and lower (I'm always below 15% on hikes like the AT).

bamboo bob
05-21-2014, 10:14
The number I've heard... especially as it applies to kid (or at least beginners) is 20% of your body weight.

I had always heard 25% was a maximum fully loaded. Thank God I never had to test it out. I try to keep it at 15% as a max. Lot's of food lots of water.

The Solemates
05-21-2014, 12:42
20-25% is ridiculous with today's gear. For me, that would be 45-55 lb. I've never carried a pack that heavy in my life....even "in the 90s".

Malto
05-21-2014, 15:20
20-25% is ridiculous with today's gear. For me, that would be 45-55 lb. I've never carried a pack that heavy in my life....even "in the 90s".

35% is better than 40%
30% is better than 35%
25% is better than 30%
20% is better than 25%
15% is better than 20%
10% is better than 15%
5% is better than 10%

at some point the trade off to get lighter exceed the benefit of the lighter pack. That point will be different for everyone. I would never go above 15% unless there was no alternative. My base weight is about 5% of body weight and it's even better when going into a resupply with no food! fuel or water.

PackHorse
05-21-2014, 16:06
I was just thinking...another way for me to get the percentage down would be to gain weight! :-)
This is such a balancing act... When I was heavier I didn't get so cold at night... lower weight, I have to carry more warmth. The good side is that I'm more efficient on food... about a lb/day is what it takes. I don't think this percentage thing comes into play for most people, just us "little people". Then there's the whole torso/pack length. I've been using a small Catalyst but have put foam on the shoulders to fill in. Of all the packs I have used or tried, it works the best (so far). Anyone have a suggestion?

Coffee
05-21-2014, 16:47
My pack weighs 16% or less of my body weight almost all the time unless I am carrying more than 4 days of food. Four days of food at two pounds/day, a liter of water, and my pack base weight results in a total weight of around 25 pounds vs. my body weight of 160 pounds. I'm happiest when total pack weight is below 20 pounds, or 12.5% of body weight. I would imagine that anything under 10% of body weight would feel like not having a pack on at all, but 15% isn't bad at all. I don't think I would enjoy hiking long stretches above 20% of body weight, or 32 pounds, but I have hiked with that weight or more for a few days without issue. That was on the John Muir Trail's southern half where I carried lots of food and a bear canister.

I'm not sure how linear this relationship is between pack weight and body weight in terms of comfort. In other words, would a 250 pound man feel the same about carrying a 38 pound pack as I feel about a 25 pound pack? Much really would depend on fitness level, whether the pack is designed to carry a certain amount of weight, and perhaps body type I think....

BuckeyeBill
05-21-2014, 17:21
I am waiting on the day when a gram weenie has all his equipment in his pants and shirt pockets.

shakey_snake
05-21-2014, 18:27
it's been done. (http://gearjunkie.com/ultralight-backpacking-pct)

rickb
05-21-2014, 19:41
But yeah, I subscribe to keeping it 20% and lower (I'm always below 15% on hikes like the AT).

Good timing with that advise. I was just deciding whether to order desert or not.