PDA

View Full Version : Precooked vacum sealed dinners

Gambit McCrae
05-21-2014, 15:46
If i were to say make a pot roast stew, and vacume seal single servings would they keep in my pack for a few days? say mostly 2-3 days time?

RED-DOG
05-21-2014, 15:56
I would only trust something like that for 2 days Max after that i would not trust it.

grayfox
05-21-2014, 16:01
Do you mean like a can of Campbell's soup? If you want to take your own stew, freeze it after you seal it and use it before it thaws. Vacuum sealing protects but does not sterilize like a canning process.

daddytwosticks
05-21-2014, 16:16
I personally would not do this. Have you thought about dehydrating certain meals and then vacuum packing? This would probably be much safer. :)

FarmerChef
05-21-2014, 16:22
I might go with it for a day and possibly on the second day. As others have mentioned, vacuum sealing protects the contents from outside contamination but does nothing for the microbes already in your food when you bagged it. Now, having said that, if you have unlimited bucks and want to get some redoubt bags and vacuum/pressure sealer you could preserve foods like the tuna you buy in the store. But this is mucho dinero $$$$

Starchild
05-21-2014, 17:34
IF the bag can take high temps you may be able to pasteurize it by bringing it to a sub boiling temp for a certain time.

Foresight
05-21-2014, 18:29
I wouldn't do it. Check this link out ( http://www.backpackingchef.com/ ) and see if maybe this might give you a different approach.

July
05-21-2014, 19:13
I personally would not do this. Have you thought about dehydrating certain meals and then vacuum packing? This would probably be much safer. :)

I second this, you can prepare these delicious homemade meals, dehydrate them, bag or seal. Keep in freezer till hike time, or use immediately. They keep a long time...months

shakey_snake
05-21-2014, 22:02
Do you know what the most common way to give yourself botulism is?

Improper home canning. Which is basically what you are suggesting.

Wise Old Owl
05-21-2014, 22:08
You win.

7,8,9,10 characters I was under the limit,

bigcranky
05-22-2014, 06:37
The vacuum sealer is great, but doesn't sterilize the contents. I wouldn't trust it for even a day.

slbirdnerd
05-22-2014, 12:59
Sounds like you need to try dehydrating. I don't like any of the backpacking dinners I've tried (Mountain HOuse, etc.), so I decided I want real food that I like at home. In a few short weeks I have dehydrated food for a 2 week section and am thrilled I get to eat what I like. It has been easy and fun. I can't believe how well it works and how much better my food is!