PDA

View Full Version : What are some good "Multi-Tool" options?

Ricky&Jack
05-21-2014, 16:45
I went on my first overnight with my Husky lastnite. We did Amicalola to Black Gap Shelter ont he approach trail.

It was my first overnight and I greatly over-packed.... My pack weighted 37 lbs for 1 night.

I wasn't sure what tools I would need, so I brought along a few. I brought a pocket knife. A pair of those big orange handled scissors, a pocket flashlight, small screwdrivers, and some misc items.

I realized today I didnt need big scissors cause I have a knife.

Is there a popular "multi-tool" item that hikers prefer, so that I can leave these behind next time and still be prepared?

Would a cheap swiss-army knockoff, or a $5 multi tool from walmart be good?

Or is there something stronger, more functional that you recommend I check into, so I can have many needed items in 1 place?

Coffee
05-21-2014, 16:51
Swiss Army Knife Classic weighs 0.75 ounce and has a small blade, scissors, a small file/screwdriver combo, tweezers and a toothpick and is usually available for $10-15 on Amazon. When I first purchased new gear in 2012, I got a large Swiss Army Knife that was about 4x the weight and had more functionality but I've never felt like I needed much more than the classic. You mention a flashlight. I carry a headlamp (Black Diamond Spot) instead of a flashlight.

Mags
05-21-2014, 17:08
I carry a multi-tool for backcountry skiing. I need to make repairs in the field at times.

For three-season hiking on a well defined trail? The swiss army classic is more than adequate for most people.

Not sure why you may need a screw driver?

Ricky&Jack
05-21-2014, 17:13
screwdriver is cause its easier to charge a weeks worth of cellphone batteries, and then just unscrew the phone and swap batteries when it dies.

5 iphone batteries weighs less than 1 portable power supply. So i bring charged batteries.

FarmerChef
05-21-2014, 17:26
If you must have a screwdriver then buy one of those mini screwdriver kits (like the kind for computers, not the stubby screwdrivers). Otherwise, the one on the swiss army style knife is more than sufficient. Honestly, all you will probably find you need is a blade and a can opener like this one: http://www.amazon.com/P-38-Can-Opener-P-51/dp/B0078WMSZ8/ref=sr_1_1?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1400707475&sr=1-1&keywords=can+opener

As far as charging a cell phone goes...good management of the phone means you can usually just recharge it when you hit town. Of course if you want to listen to music then that's another story. Though it would make a lot more sense and last a lot longer if you got a ipod Mini or similar instead of an iphone for music and use the phone for phone, internet, pictures/video, etc. Just a suggestion there based on my real world usage of my iphone on miles and miles of trails. But your needs/wants/experience could be different.

Starchild
05-21-2014, 17:32
screwdriver is cause its easier to charge a weeks worth of cellphone batteries, and then just unscrew the phone and swap batteries when it dies.

5 iphone batteries weighs less than 1 portable power supply. So i bring charged batteries.

Don't know about the iP5, but with the iP4 I could leave the screws out and swap batteries w/o a screwdriver.

But due to fragility I decided to go with the battery pack to recharge it.

Drybones
05-21-2014, 18:47
Never had a need for any tool other than a lightweight pocket knife.

Odd Man Out
05-21-2014, 19:52
Swiss Army Knife Classic weighs 0.75 ounce and has a small blade, scissors, a small file/screwdriver combo, tweezers and a toothpick and is usually available for $10-15 on Amazon. When I first purchased new gear in 2012, I got a large Swiss Army Knife that was about 4x the weight and had more functionality but I've never felt like I needed much more than the classic. You mention a flashlight. I carry a headlamp (Black Diamond Spot) instead of a flashlight.

I checked out the SAK Classic, but I thought I would like a knife and scissors that are slightly larger, so I got the Ambassador. It's essentially identical to the classic, just a little bigger, but not as big as the "standard" SAK.

Sarcasm the elf
05-21-2014, 19:55
I'm a big fan of carrying a leatherman micra ( the tiny leatherman that fits on a keychain.) instead of plyers it folds out into a small pair of scissors, which I find myself using more often than any other tool. Also has a decent small knife, a file and the ever important bottle opener.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0000224UA?pc_redir=1400400902&robot_redir=1

bigcranky
05-21-2014, 19:56
+1 for the Swiss Army Classic (http://www.swissarmy.com/us/app/product/Swiss-Army-Knives/Category/Classics/Classic-SD/53001). Yes, it's tiny, and yes, it doesn't look impressive, but it does everything I need for a multitool. I do take a larger folding knife, but this is my most used tool.

jimmyjam
05-21-2014, 19:56
+ 1 on the mini swiss. It's all you will need.

Wise Old Owl
05-21-2014, 21:10
Knifes as a cutting tools is an extremely personal decision based on the user, the situation and level of skill. No one should impress upon you what is “best.” Best is a relative term. There are countless varieties and uses. Knives are categorized into fixed or folding, full, partial or hidden tang, serrated or plain edge, stainless or carbon steel, etc. Entire volumes of books can be written about blade selection. All I will recommend is buying the best you can afford and buying quality. You will pay for it either way, at the store or in the field. When you buy quality, you will only cry once! Some believe the farther you travel from situation, the bigger your knives should be. Example, a pocket knife in the office, a belt knife at all times, a full-size axe or machete for extended living in the wild. This is not what to do. Depending on the size of your kit (pocket, belt, pack, car or home), your knife needs can vary. No "10 essentials kit" should be without a knife or variety of cutting tools. Remember, one is none, two is one and three is in case you lose both of the first two. In my personal opinion, a knife is the first item you should add to your 10 essentials. Stainless is great for cutting food and keeping clean – cutting wood (fuzz stick or removing wet bark), survival and having a quality tool that does not go dull is not stainless, its a much stronger steel. Start with a light Leatherman Squirt or similar, the steel is stronger, stays sharper longer and the support pin is thicker than Swiss Wenger, over time I have distanced myself from Swiss, the smaller ones break too easily and IMO its a starter knife, there are better options. No knife is frequently posted here on this site - to me that is not an option. I hope that helps and I agree with Sarcasm the Elf.

Rocket Jones
05-21-2014, 21:15
I too have a Micra, but still find myself carrying my SAK Fisherman instead most of the time. Mostly habit, since that's my everyday carry too.

MuddyWaters
05-21-2014, 21:55
There is nothing at all wrong with a multi-tool, if you have a legitimate need for it.

Now take a close look at your gear, and count up the nuts, bolts, screws, cotterpins, and items that require prying off, turning with pliers, wire that needs cutting, etc.

What you will probably find is zero.

Take a small knife, take a tiny screwdriver if need one for battery, or something. Just dont succumb to bringing a 5oz multitool "just in case" when you can see for yourself there isnt any use for it.

shakey_snake
05-21-2014, 22:32
I take a letterman style PS. I's smaller than the micra.

It gets primarily used as a pot grabber, although the scissors are good for cutting duck tape to shape, and the nail file and tweezers are nice for grooming.

BuckeyeBill
05-22-2014, 02:18
Check out this one (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___81248) has just what you need.

ChuckT
05-22-2014, 05:14
I found that I used the scissors on my Victronix (sp?) to cut open Freeze Dried food. And the knife blade once to shorten a line. The other blades - nada. But I do carry, separately, an eye glasses repair kit. Never had to use it on the trail (yet), have had to use it on a driving vacation.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk.

daddytwosticks
05-22-2014, 07:12
Like the others have said, the smallest swiss army knife weighs under an ounce. This is all you will ever need. :)

rafe
05-22-2014, 07:20
Never had a need for any tool other than a lightweight pocket knife.

Same here. Gerber LST.

Tuckahoe
05-22-2014, 07:49
Knifes as a cutting tools is an extremely personal decision based on the user, the situation and level of skill. No one should impress upon you what is “best.” Best is a relative term. There are countless varieties and uses. Knives are categorized into fixed or folding, full, partial or hidden tang, serrated or plain edge, stainless or carbon steel, etc. Entire volumes of books can be written about blade selection. All I will recommend is buying the best you can afford and buying quality. You will pay for it either way, at the store or in the field. When you buy quality, you will only cry once! Some believe the farther you travel from situation, the bigger your knives should be. Example, a pocket knife in the office, a belt knife at all times, a full-size axe or machete for extended living in the wild. This is not what to do. Depending on the size of your kit (pocket, belt, pack, car or home), your knife needs can vary. No "10 essentials kit" should be without a knife or variety of cutting tools. Remember, one is none, two is one and three is in case you lose both of the first two. In my personal opinion, a knife is the first item you should add to your 10 essentials. Stainless is great for cutting food and keeping clean – cutting wood (fuzz stick or removing wet bark), survival and having a quality tool that does not go dull is not stainless, its a much stronger steel. Start with a light Leatherman Squirt or similar, the steel is stronger, stays sharper longer and the support pin is thicker than Swiss Wenger, over time I have distanced myself from Swiss, the smaller ones break too easily and IMO its a starter knife, there are better options. No knife is frequently posted here on this site - to me that is not an option. I hope that helps and I agree with Sarcasm the Elf.

There is nothing at all wrong with a multi-tool, if you have a legitimate need for it.

Now take a close look at your gear, and count up the nuts, bolts, screws, cotterpins, and items that require prying off, turning with pliers, wire that needs cutting, etc.

Take a small knife, take a tiny screwdriver if need one for battery, or something. Just dont succumb to bringing a 5oz multitool "just in case" when you can see for yourself there isnt any use for it.

There is a lot of truth in these two posts. It is important to be prepared, with just the right tools without having the junk that you will never need. I've usually got my EDC knife -- a Kershaw Leek -- and then clipped into my pack is a Leatherman Style. The Leek is my go to knife for nearly all my needs, but the little Style is there as a back up for that moment when the Leek isnt the right tool, if I should sadly lose my knife, or is for whatever reason I cannot carry it. And for some reason I also have a little P-38 on the same clip I the pack... yeah you just never know when you will encounter a can without a pop top. :)

Here is a link for the Style --
http://www.amazon.com/Leatherman-831207-Clip-On-Multi-Tool-Scissors/dp/B0032XVNMQ/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_0_0

colorado_rob
05-22-2014, 08:46
In nearly 50 years of backpacking, I don't remember a single instance where a knife was absolutely needed. Even cutting cord can be done with a match/lighter. That all being said, I do carry that little 0.7 ounce swiss thing, and always will. But a screwdriver or pliers???? Never ever needed in any form. Sorry. Tweezers, mini-pick, mini-scissors and mini-knife all on the 0.7 oz swiss army knife has you completely covered.

BTW: I do subscribe to the 10 essential thing completely, but my interpretation thereof deems the swiss knife adequate. Fuzz stick? Back in the 60's in boy scouts maybe, but now I carry trioxane fire starters for emergency fires. Much quicker and works every time. Yeah, another 1.25 ounces to carry, but these puppies work so well.

I also carry a larger folding knife when I technical climb with ropes, And a leatherman when skiing, for reasons Mags stated, but not applicable here.

Ricky&Jack
05-22-2014, 09:44
but what if I encounter a Bear with a baseball bat? or a storm-trooper with a plasma riffle? Or a disgruntled ex with a chip on her shoulder?

A tiny pocket (swiss army) knife will keep me protected?

I guess I really over thought the need for a 100 item multi-tool with 47 different types of blades.

I'll look at amazon or walmart to see what looks best/lightest/cheapest.

Im glad i asked though. Otherwise I woulda brought a ton of unnecessary/heavy items.

RCBear
05-22-2014, 09:58
I used to carry a Leatherman wave. Had everything including saw. Found it became way too heavy and really never used anything but the blade and scissors. I now carry a fixed blade Moraknive companion. Razor sharp, very light and the most ergonomic knife I've ever held. About 12 bucks on amazon. I absolutley cannot understand why someone would not have some kind of cutting tool on the trail at all times. The lightweight durable inexpensive options available today make it a no brainer. How embarrassing would that be to need one and have to borrow, or worse yet REALLY need one and no one is around.

Cutting cord with a lighter? Can't understand that one.

Ricky&Jack
05-22-2014, 10:03
wait.... wait...... wait......

what about the..... the.... Zombie Killer!!!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Zombie-Killer-Skullsplitter-Throwing-Axe/dp/B00EIJQRSI/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1400766498&sr=8-12&keywords=knife+green

Are Zombies usually near the trail?

(people say that you may never see a bear on the trail, but I saw one my very first morning on the approach trail, yesterday. If you say I will never see a zombie on the trail, then chances are I'll see one next time)

bigcranky
05-22-2014, 13:48
but what if I encounter a Bear with a baseball bat? or a storm-trooper with a plasma riffle? Or a disgruntled ex with a chip on her shoulder?

Show them your tiny Swiss Army Knife, and they will know you are a Real Hiker and not to be trifled with.

RED-DOG
05-22-2014, 15:34
I only use a small pocket knife never felt the need for a multi-tool, but Swiss Army makes a really cool mini multi-tool.

garlic08
05-22-2014, 21:10

Take a small knife, take a tiny screwdriver if need one for battery, or something. Just don't succumb to bringing a 5oz multitool "just in case" when you can see for yourself there isnt any use for it.

I agree with this and it took many decades for me to figure it out. Then, I took a look at my gear and asked if there was a way to change my gear so I didn't need any tools at all. It took a couple more years, but I got rid of anything that required a tool other than a small sharp blade, duct tape, and/or needle and thread to fix.

If you have a finicky stove and/or water filter, complicated pack frame, difficult electronics, fragile tent poles, carry the tools you need to maintain that stuff. Then work on paring that stuff down before your thru hike!

Glacier
06-01-2014, 22:18
Yeah, usually small Leatherman on keychain. I do carry a full size in winter. Tweaking snowshoe or ski.

Ricky&Jack
06-01-2014, 22:21
how about a flashlight with a knife?...... like an LED light with a folding blade into the handle?

Anybody know anything like that? (Im trying to combine items so its less to carry)

RCBear
06-01-2014, 22:26
how about a flashlight with a knife?...... like an LED light with a folding blade into the handle?

Anybody know anything like that? (Im trying to combine items so its less to carry)

Or just carry a headlamp and keep your hands free.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

Ricky&Jack
06-01-2014, 22:28
right after I asked about it, I looked "knife flashlight" on amazon. They got some nice knives with a flashlight on top, so that you can shive somebody. lol

But unfortunately all those flashnights look like the size of a AAA battery attached to the knife.

and ugh, I cant beleive I forgot about the headlight. I suck.

Sarcasm the elf
06-01-2014, 22:30

Personally I would keep them separate. It's easy to find a good quality led keychain light and a good quality small knife, but I can't remember the last time I saw a combination tool that was worth it. Just get a photon keychain light in addition to a small knife.

Ricky&Jack
06-01-2014, 22:46
Personally I would keep them separate. It's easy to find a good quality led keychain light and a good quality small knife, but I can't remember the last time I saw a combination tool that was worth it. Just get a photon keychain light in addition to a small knife.

Okay. I agree that it would be smart to have them separate.

I was just reading online tips for ultralight backpacking where a rule is something like "if an item doesnt have atleast 2-3 purposes, find a different one)

Im not going ultralight. I just thought that was a smart idea to follow that rule. But yeah, I'll keep my knife and lights separate.

bamboo bob
06-02-2014, 06:02
I carry a leatherman mini knockoff. Once I discovered I can cut cheese with my spoon I never use it. It's for "emergency" use because it has a corkscrew.

SunnyWalker
06-02-2014, 09:13
All I take is one pair of tweezers particularly made to remove ticks. Then a neck knife, Buck Hartsook knife. I take no other exotic tools or knives. And I have never needed them. I leave in about a couple of weeks for thru hike of CDT.

RCBear
06-03-2014, 20:54
I picked up the tanto version a couple weeks ago. Extremely small and lightweight fixed blade, extremely sharp out of the box, great ergonomics, full tang with nice finish. Can be worn as a neck knife or on belt or will fit in almost any hip pocket. I would almost say that those who prefer carrying only a razor blade, this just might convert them. The other two have nice function as well. Best of all, for about 20 bucks you get strong value from them. I have been super impressed with what you can process with it.

RCBear
06-03-2014, 20:55
It's the CKRT folts minimilast line by the way. Picture looks a bit fuzzy. Worth checking out.

Wise Old Owl
06-03-2014, 22:49

that's been done...
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Dtools&field-keywords=knife%20with%20led

Wise Old Owl
06-03-2014, 22:52
All I take is one pair of tweezers particularly made to remove ticks. Then a neck knife, Buck Hartsook knife. I take no other exotic tools or knives. And I have never needed them. I leave in about a couple of weeks for thru hike of CDT.

If you sprayed up with Deep Woods Off - ya would not need the tweezers... oh I apologize for that its a knife thread.

Wise Old Owl
06-03-2014, 22:53
I carry a leatherman mini knockoff. Once I discovered I can cut cheese with my spoon I never use it. It's for "emergency" use because it has a corkscrew.
Aaron Ralston did the same thing... only he didn't whine.... :banana

Sarcasm the elf
06-03-2014, 23:00
Aaron Ralston did the same thing... only he didn't whine.... :banana

That knockoff knife made him a lot of money in the long run...

Wise Old Owl
06-03-2014, 23:27
That knockoff knife made him a lot of money in the long run...

Uh wait would you want to make the same mistakes in his hiking shoes? I would not.