PDA

View Full Version : Deadly New Tick Virus Emerges in NY

Don H
05-21-2014, 16:57
The Lineage II Powassan virus can cause nervous system disruption, encephalitis, and meningitis.

http://www.outdoorhub.com/news/deadly-new-deer-tick-virus-emerges-in-new-york/

FarmerChef
05-21-2014, 17:33
Interesting article. Thanks for posting. Much, much, much more research needs to go into understanding ticks and tick-borne diseases. The levels of infection just keep rising and all we're told is "prevention is key." Riiiiiight. So, basically, never go into any vegetation, including my lawn, to avoid the possibility of becoming infected. Also, keep my animals that come inside from going out into the grass. There has got to be a better solution that also doesn't involve massive amounts of ever stronger pesticides so we don't wind up with ever-more resistant pests. Surely, something out there eats these things?

rafe
05-21-2014, 18:56
Surely, something out there eats these things?

I'm told that turkeys eat ticks, so I let the wild turkeys have free reign over my lawn.

Sarcasm the elf
05-21-2014, 19:36
I'm told that turkeys eat ticks, so I let the wild turkeys have free reign over my lawn.

Chickens as well. We used to let our small flock out of the coop for an hour or two each evening. They would roam the yard and eat every insect that couldnt fly away from them. Then they'd retire to back to their coop just before dark. I didnt see a tick in that yard for almost 10 years.

Sarcasm the elf
05-21-2014, 19:49
From the CDC site:

Powassan (POW) virus disease is a rare, but often serious disease that is caused
by a virus spread by infected ticks. Approximately 50 cases of POW virus disease were reported in the United States over the past 10 years. POW virus is one of a group of arthropod-borne viruses (arboviruses) that can cause inflammation of the brain (encephalitis).

http://www.cdc.gov/powassan/faqs.html?mobile=nocontent

While this certanly is something that could become a real threat in the future, 50 cases over a 10 year period won't keep me out of the woods.

Old Grouse
05-21-2014, 21:13
Chickens as well. We used to let our small flock out of the coop for an hour or two each evening. They would roam the yard and eat every insect that couldnt fly away from them. Then they'd retire to back to their coop just before dark. I didnt see a tick in that yard for almost 10 years.
That's exactly what I did tonight (and most every other).

Wise Old Owl
05-21-2014, 21:16

Just sharing - Yes chickens and turkeys eat ticks - but ticks aren't stupid and they don't live in lawns, its too hot for them. They prefer tall grasses, brush and fallen leaves as breeding sites.