PDA

View Full Version : Yep, it's another tent thread...

TrippLite
05-21-2014, 22:41
Greetings all,

I'm considering adding a new tent to my inventory. Last year I bounced back n forth between the TT Double Rainbow and the Cloudburst 3. I eventually decided that the Double Rainbow would be more than adequate enough to meet my needs. While the DW is an excellent tent, I have given interest recently in obtaining the Six Moons Design Lunar Duo, Lightheart SoLong 6 or the Lightheart Duo...

In the past I have steered clear of tents that required trekking poles but have decided to keep an open mind realizing that I can purchase tent poles if I choose instead of trekking poles... Hopefully some of you would be kind enough to give your honest input on any of the tents mentioned above.

Ideally, I really would like to find a lightweight tent that has 2 door views, large vestibule and preferably available in the color green or camouflage instead of the industries standard gray color. I want to be able to blend into my surroundings when I desire to be in stealth mode. Not going to happen with what the industry has made available on the market from what I see so far in my search.
Any suggestions or feedback appreciated?

The Cleaner
05-21-2014, 23:21
I got a TarpTent Moment DW a few months ago and it's a great tent. I do a lot of cold weather hiking and the solid inner tent blocks wind very well. There are vents at both ends and along the top sides of the removable inner tent. I had an MSR Hubba but it was very drafty even in the rain.

hikingshoes
05-22-2014, 00:37
I enjoy my MSR carbon reflex 2 but I had a TT contrail enjoyed it as well on section hikes. I'm looking at the TT StratoSpire 1 for my thru-hike next yr.

TrippLite
05-22-2014, 02:28
I enjoy my MSR carbon reflex 2 but I had a TT contrail enjoyed it as well on section hikes. I'm looking at the TT StratoSpire 1 for my thru-hike next yr.

Cool tent....
On the REI website they show the Reflex 2 is available in Moss Green. From the pics displayed the tent body shows the outer tub material is in what I acknowledge as mossy green from my military days.. However the fly looks to be more of a lime green color in the pics as it does in what videos I could find on Youtube.
Is this correct? What color is your fly?

Theosus
05-22-2014, 06:44
Hennessy Hammock with the large tarp. It's green, the "vestibule" is HUGE, and with the tarp pitched wide, the views are awesome.

nastynate
05-22-2014, 06:59
Very happy with my Lightheart Gear Solong. It is all the things you mentioned.

hikingshoes
05-22-2014, 07:48
It's lime green. I like the old yellow one too.

ChinMusic
05-22-2014, 10:11
Those with #5 are heading to the pay window.

Old Hiker
05-22-2014, 10:43
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?86824-LightHeart-Gear-SoLong-6-First-Impressions&highlight=

My first one - since sold to get my LATEST one in green/tan. SoLong comes in camo, according to the web site. I'm very pleased with mine: got the double door, awning style. Had LightHeart Gear replace the awning zipper with a more robust one, tiny weight addition, but not sure how much. DOn't really care, as it still took over 2 pounds off my ALPS Zephyr.

Stealth: plan on or ask to replace the guy lines. They come with the Spectra (?) cord that is HIGHLY reflective at night, which I like. I'm putting a short piece on my bear bag to find it on dark mornings.

I'd still like to see the other tents you ask about, but I'm very happy with my SoLong.

Odd Man Out
05-22-2014, 12:37
Greetings all,In the past I have steered clear of tents that required trekking poles but have decided to keep an open mind realizing that I can purchase tent poles if I choose instead of trekking poles...

Good point. People often forget that just because these tents CAN be pitched using trekking poles, they don't have to be. The real distinction is free-standing vs not free-standing, as the ones pitched with trekking poles are usually not free-standing. Even with the poles, the non-free-standing ones are usually lighter than the free-standing ones.

dmax
05-22-2014, 12:53
Lightheart is coming out with a new Duo. She said it should be on her site in 3-4 weeks. If you are on Facebook, go to lightheart Gear and she shows the color of green and her new camo. I'd say that as soon as she gets some Duos complete, she will post them there first. . She had the new Duo at TrailDays. I looked it over really good and it went home with somebody Sat night! Can't wait to try it this weekend!

TrippLite
05-22-2014, 13:30
Hennessy Hammock with the large tarp. It's green, the "vestibule" is HUGE, and with the tarp pitched wide, the views are awesome.

I love it... I may have to rethink my wants and needs..

Very happy with my Lightheart Gear Solong. It is all the things you mentioned.

Yes, the SoLong 6 may be my end choice

my LATEST one in green/tan. SoLong comes in camo, according to the web site.
Stealth: plan on or ask to replace the guy lines. They come with the Spectra (?) cord that is HIGHLY reflective at night, which I like.

Thanks for your input
Ironically enough the duo is available in gray color only and the wedge option is no longer available according the their website. The SoLong 6 is available in forest green in the standard version but if you choose the custom version, kelly green is the only green color option available which is not what I'm looking for. Although the website displays the Lightheart tent in camouflage it is not available in the Duo nor the Solong...

TrippLite
05-22-2014, 13:38
Lightheart is coming out with a new Duo. She said it should be on her site in 3-4 weeks. If you are on Facebook, go to lightheart Gear and she shows the color of green and her new camo. I'd say that as soon as she gets some Duos complete, she will post them there first. . She had the new Duo at TrailDays. I looked it over really good and it went home with somebody Sat night! Can't wait to try it this weekend!

Oh my, this is great news... thanks for responding. I'm anxious to see pics

doug105
05-22-2014, 20:39
dmax!

Tell us what is new about the duo.

My wife and I were already considering the duo, but now will wait
for the new one to become available!

Thanks!

DougN

Kookork
05-22-2014, 22:55
If you do stealth camping then the real options are dark green and camouflage tents. I have a solong 6 in camo.
Last week I was trying to videotape a bobcat that has been in my friends vast property for about a year, so I pitched my tent somewhere in the woods to have a great vista on the possible bobcat sighting. Next day My friends came to visit me( and make sure I have not been attacked by bobcat!!) but they couldn't find my tent in their woods despite walking close by twice. So I really can tell you that Solong Camo is a great option for stealth camping.

TrippLite
05-23-2014, 09:21
Talk about a company with great customer service and response time.... I emailed Judy late last night in regards to the new Duo and the following was in my inbox this morning...

You are correct about the Duo - I just finished re-designing the Duo and it will be made here in Asheville from now on. Yes, it will be available in dark green or gray and camo, and I will also offer it as a custom build - so you can pick any color. The re-design include making the corners 8 inches like the SoLong 6 rather than the 5 inches it now has, and adding an awning fly to the front of the tent. the foot end will narrow down to 35 inches but otherwise the tent is the same - 100 inches long, and 55 inches wide at the head to the middle of the tent. The tent just feels like there is tons more room in it. It will still have 2 doors and 2 pockets, and there are 2 large closeable ridge vents.

I won’t have any ready for sale for about 6 weeks.

HeartFire
05-23-2014, 16:09
I have fixed the issue that the SoLong 6 in camo was not on the website - I have plenty of them in stock. The website is brand new and I guess I just missed that part. The new Duo will be awesome. I managed to NOT take any pictures of the one I had set up at Trail Days. We finished it the day before we left for TD, so as soon as I can, we'll get them going. I have only ONE duo left that is gray with black floor (the old style). ALL LightHeart Gear tents and other items will now be made in Asheville. I've opened up my own sewing facility (factory) and we are doing everything now in house. This is a direct result of hikers complaining about stuff made in China, even though the quality of the tents was impeccable. I now have 3 full time employees and am looking for a 4th. - all being paid a livable wage. - sew, if you know someone in Asheville looking for a job, and they know how to sew (industrial sewing only - no home sewers) I'm looking. I just bought a few more sewing machines today....
Judy /LightHeart Gear

Wanderingventurer
04-14-2015, 21:14
I assume since this thread is somewhat older that you have made a decision and moved on. If not, I have a SoLong 6 for sale. I purchased it about a month ago (March 2015) and had them seam seal it. It is spruce green with a gray floor. I have now used it on two quick trips of 2 nights each. I have washed it pursuant to the instructions on their webpage. In my opinion, the tent is still in pristine condition.

This is a wonderful tent! The only reason I am selling it is to trade up to LightHeart Gear’s full 2 person Duo.

If you are interested, PM me and I will be glad to give you more details.