PDA

View Full Version : How long did it take you to get used to trekking pole rhythm?

Ricky&Jack
05-22-2014, 13:23
I bought 2 poles from walmart and did an overnight round trip from Amicalola to Springer, a few days ago.

I could not get used to using the poles.

I know that when you your left foot goes forward, youre supposed to use your right pole, etc..... But I kept using the right pole when I used my right foot..... and the left pole when I used my left pole.

I could not get into rhythm. It seemed when i intentionally tried to do it properly, I ended up taking larger steps than usual, and had to stop after about 5 or so steps and just carry my poles.

They did come in really handy tho when i was doing down-hill and had to maneuver around rocks/roots.

How long did it take you to get into the rhythm and get used to using them properly? (I'm probably not going to walk around town with these to get used to them)

Twogears
05-22-2014, 13:29
It should be as natural as swinging your arms when you walk. I assume that when you walk you aren't swinging the same arm forward when that leg goes forward as well......

dkcombs2
05-22-2014, 13:31
My wife never did get the rhythm down but she did complete the thru hike. It will come or it won't there will be so many other things to solve or ignore as well. . I fussed at her for about a month and finally gave up.

QUOTE=Ricky&Jack;1879546]I bought 2 poles from walmart and did an overnight round trip from Amicalola to Springer, a few days ago.

I could not get used to using the poles.

I know that when you your left foot goes forward, youre supposed to use your right pole, etc..... But I kept using the right pole when I used my right foot..... and the left pole when I used my left pole.

I could not get into rhythm. It seemed when i intentionally tried to do it properly, I ended up taking larger steps than usual, and had to stop after about 5 or so steps and just carry my poles.

They did come in really handy tho when i was doing down-hill and had to maneuver around rocks/roots.

How long did it take you to get into the rhythm and get used to using them properly? (I'm probably not going to walk around town with these to get used to them)[/QUOTE]

Ricky&Jack
05-22-2014, 13:47
when you take 2 poles on a hike, do you end up using them with almost every step?

Or are there times u just carry them both in one hand or in your pack and only use it at certain times?

durring the 18mi hike, I probably carried them in my hand (to keep ready) about most of the time.

Twogears
05-22-2014, 14:00
Why take them if you aren't going to use them? Unless you need your hands for scrambling, you should use them.

Old Hiker
05-22-2014, 14:04
My two sticks (not AL poles) are just an extension of my arms. My rhythm isn't coordinated with my walking, I just look ahead, plant the forward stick and walk. Uphills, I use them to help power up sometimes. Downhills, depending on how steep it is, they keep me from face planting forward.

I'm at work: don't have them to try, but I'm pretty sure I don't use them every step, but every other step or so.

Odd Man Out
05-22-2014, 14:08
If I'm on a flat level trail, my pace is fast enough that that the poles can't keep up, but then on flat level trails, I don't really need them to. When the going gets tough, I rely on the poles more. I don't care if I'm doing it "right" or not on every step. In fact I kind of like to keep it mixed up - pole plant every other step (can support one leg if one knee is bothering me more than the other). I'll plant the pole in front of me for a while and then I'll lower my hands and angle the poles behind me for a while, never bringing the tips in frond of my legs. I'll change grips too. Sometimes with palms on the tops of the poles, sometimes without the straps, and sometimes gripping below the handles (mine have an alternate grip down there), which is nice because it's closer to the balance point and the poles swing easy.

Old Grouse
05-22-2014, 14:08
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/hiking_poles_technique
There are several resources for pole use you can find on Google. I like to use same side poles on the uphills.

RED-DOG
05-22-2014, 15:30
When i first started hiking many years ago when i was still a kid hiking with my dad i used treking poles i hated them so on a week long hike through the GSMNP when i was 14 i started carrying them instead of using them I decided i enjoyed hiking with out them so over the years i trained myself to hike with out the use of treking poles, so to make a really long story short on all three of my Thru-Hikes i did not use any type of treking poles, I love the idea of having my hands free, I just don't feel the need to use them, I don't even own a set of treking poles, and i also plan to do the PCT in 2015 without the use of treking poles.

Ricky&Jack
05-22-2014, 15:42
you guys are the words of wisdom.

Ricky&Jack
05-22-2014, 15:47
Also, i took my 6month old husky with me. it was his first hike....

when using poles, its a pain in the butt to control a dog on a leash cause hes always running around you and tripping you. (and if he runs behind you, you cant just swap leash hands behind your back with a pack int he way. so I end up twisting like the tasmanian devil til were straightened). so I kept him off leash til I saw a person coming. He did incredibly better on off the leash then on.

joshuasdad
05-22-2014, 17:37
I use alternate side poling on uphills, flats, and slight downhills. IMO, same side poling works well on steeper downhills to lessen strain on knees, simply plant the pole right next to the foot that is contacting the ground. As I get tired, I definitely do not pole every step, and there is little to no "rhythm"....

Switching up grips, grip locations, poling locations, can work different parts of your arms, wrists, and hands, so as to minimize fatigue from repetitive motion.

Anyway, if you have a dog, you may want to forget about being able to set up any consistent rhythm, and consider using only a single pole so you have a free hand to control the dog.

ScottTrip
05-22-2014, 17:42
I have completed about 1/2 of my thru-hike on the AT. I rarely use my hiking poles, never have gotten the rhythm..

rafe
05-22-2014, 17:42
You'll find most thru-hikers these days using poles, but that wasn't true up until around 10-15 years ago. Most middle-aged (and older) hikers find them very useful.

Personally I use 'em almost all the time on the AT and similar trails. The main advantage is that I tend to walk more relaxed and upright, rather than hunched forward, when using the poles. If I stumble over a root or rock, I know I'll catch myself instantly with the poles. Plus, they're very helpful with stream crossings, where you need to hop from rock to rock.

Where the trail is level and unobstructed, the poles don't do much for me, and I may just carry them in one hand for a few minutes at a time. Where it gets super-steep, you may need your hands in places to claw your way up or down the mountain. In those situations (mostly rare) I collapse the poles and strap them to my pack.

With collapsible poles, you might want to shorten them an inch or two on steep ascents, and lengthen them an inch or two on descents.

Here's a video on using trekking poles: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/hiking_poles_technique#.U35uVSgvDPs

garlic08
05-22-2014, 19:42
Try one pole for a while, see if that's easier or helpful. I've done much of my long distance hiking with only one pole. The AT is the only long trail on which I used two poles, and it took a few days to get used to the gait.

ChinMusic
05-23-2014, 11:30
My natural rhythm is to use my poles on every other step. I've tried using em on every step but that just feels too much like work. I don't know how I fell into that pattern.

Old Hiker
05-25-2014, 10:32
My natural rhythm is to use my poles on every other step. I've tried using em on every step but that just feels too much like work. I don't know how I fell into that pattern.

Actually paid attention to my poles last night on my walk: the rhythm was each pole going forward with 2 steps of the same foot. I think. Too hard to think about - once I started paying attention, I lost the rhythm.

Of course, the above is on FLAT Florida sidewalks. Add any type of hill and/or dirt/rocks/roots, etc. there is NO rhythm at all, just a frantic attempt at staying upright while moving forward. :)

Which is why I'm still leaning towards taking my rake handle and natural stick instead of my trekking poles.

rafe
05-25-2014, 10:39
Of course, the above is on FLAT Florida sidewalks. Add any type of hill and/or dirt/rocks/roots, etc. there is NO rhythm at all, just a frantic attempt at staying upright while moving forward. :)

Let's just say that usage is, at times, opportunistic. ;)

Old Hiker
05-25-2014, 10:46
Let's just say that usage is, at times, opportunistic. ;)

I'd say sorta like an epileptic orangutan in combat boots trying to kill cockroaches on black ice while wearing a blindfold, but I don't wanna offend anyone.

Still, it's a visual................ treat ?

MuddyWaters
05-25-2014, 12:30
Try going steep uphill, you will find the rhythm.
And steep downhill.

Rhythm, depends on the terrain. Flat ground is kind of pointless.

ChinMusic
05-25-2014, 12:35
Actually paid attention to my poles last night on my walk: the rhythm was each pole going forward with 2 steps of the same foot. I think. Too hard to think about - once I started paying attention, I lost the rhythm.

The Old Hiker Uncertainty Principle is born

Old Hiker
05-25-2014, 13:05

I'm not quite certain if I should be proud of that or not. :confused:

Never mind - I'll think about it tonight instead of my hiking pole rhythm.

Patrickjd9
05-25-2014, 19:26
Try one pole for a while, see if that's easier or helpful.

I'm a one-pole hiker myself. Have arthritis in my hands and need to rest them, but don't feel the need for two poles anyway.

In most terrain, I plant the pole once every two steps.

gunner76
05-29-2014, 20:44

I relate to that.

Hiking poles are not for everyone. If they work for you great, if not then no big deal.

I love hiking poles and have several sets. As my local hiking areas tend to be very muddy I find the poles useful for check the depth of the mud and helping me to balance across the muddy areas. As useful for setting my hammock tarp up in porch mode.

Now my wife...she hates them and will not use them. Of course when there are lots of spider webs across the trail she wants me to go first and I tell her she should have brought her hiking poles..

MDSection12
05-29-2014, 20:52
I couldn't even tell you what I do with my poles, but whatever it is it feels natural. On flat ground I swing them in much bigger strides and it really gets me going fast. I too find that I hunch more without them.

Lost one in a crevice on Buzzard Rock in PA last week... Spent an hour throwing my bear line into the crevice trying to pull it out with no luck. :mad:

FarmerChef
05-29-2014, 22:19
Took me about a season of hiking to find my rhythm. When going uphill I swing each pole with each opposite foot (right hand - left foot). The poles tip hits behind me and I can thrust forward with my triceps.

On level ground I move the tip up to just behind my foot when it strikes and lengthen my stride. Still each foot strike with opposite pole. I can really cook it with this setup.

Downhill I swing both poles forward and lean on them to slow me down.

Elder
05-29-2014, 22:44
I'm a one-pole hiker myself. Have arthritis in my hands and need to rest them, but don't feel the need for two poles anyway.

In most terrain, I plant the pole once every two steps.

If you use two trekking poles And use the straps correctly, it will greatly help the arthritis as you rarely need to grip, just rest in the straps.

rafe
05-29-2014, 22:58
Took me about a season of hiking to find my rhythm.

I'm hearing this a lot, that poles take some getting used to. That wasn't true for me. Not sure why -- maybe because I've been skiing since I was a kid?

I started hiking in '75 or so, tried poles for the first time 25 years later, on the AT near Hanover. By the end of that short hike I was sold. Now that I think about it -- I'd done a few winter hikes using poles, but that just seemed entirely appropriate and unremarkable. Using them in summer conditions didn't happen till that Hanover hike.

garlic08
05-30-2014, 08:00
I'm hearing this a lot, that poles take some getting used to. That wasn't true for me. Not sure why -- maybe because I've been skiing since I was a kid?

Especially if you're a Nordic skier, and use poles for propulsion as well as balance.

I remember on the AT, a good month into my thru and I was in great shape and making big miles in VA, passing some 'chubby' day hikers struggling up a small hill. As I passed nearly effortlessly, poles swinging in a Nordic rhythm, I heard one say, panting, "I need to get some of them poles."

jeffmeh
05-30-2014, 08:19
My rhythm is entirely dependent upon what music is playing in my head. :)

peakbagger
05-30-2014, 10:31
I have used poles for years and rarely use them on flat and level trails, I just carry them on one hand. I find that my pace is definitely slower on the flats using the poles. After awhile switching from using them to carrying them is almost automatic.

Once the terrain gets rough or there a climb up or down I switch to poles and match one pole plant per step.

Contrary to prior advice, I do not recommend using the wrist straps unless you are smooth ground. One fall with a pole strapped to your hand is going to lead to potential wrist elbow or shoulder issues. Unfortunately when you trip, the poles tend to catch in the ground and pivot away from you forcing your arm in an odd direction that doesn't line up where you are going to fall. Without a strap you just let go. I also palm my poles when going down steep downhills which is not possible while using a strap. On occasion I do drop them but I would rather stop and pick them up then blowing out a shoulder.

ChinMusic
05-30-2014, 12:25
It's an instinct for me now but I take my hands out of the straps in rugged areas. I use my straps wrong, putting hands in from the top, putting my thumbs at risk if I fell. I just never could get used to using the straps the correct way, which is to place your hands into the loop from the bottom.

Odd Man Out
05-30-2014, 12:42

I thought that had more to do with the fact we can't know where he is and where he is going at the same time, thus we never know where he will be. ;-)

Rolls Kanardly
05-30-2014, 13:25
Sometimes I find myself swinging them in no special cadence. Kind of useless and definitely not in sync with my feet, but then when going up a grade they come right in sync with no thought process. When going down hill, if steep, I plant both poles together at the same time and distance ahead of me and then take two or three step to the poles and then repeat. I am not the most sure footed hiker on the trail and this "Two poles out in front at the same time" helps me keep from kissing the dirt. Rolls

Riocielo
05-31-2014, 00:28
I find using
one pole (or walking stick) and alternating hands helps keep my hands from swelling.

rocketsocks
05-31-2014, 05:59
It didn't take me very long to get used to them. My first long hike with them was over them damn ankle bending, knee twistin, nut bustin Pennsylvania rocks...I needed em!

ChuckT
05-31-2014, 06:58
You hiked trying out both treking poles and a 6-month old Husky. Oh brother.
Had a Husky once - willing yes, but also wilful and stubborn.
As for the poles I take them along even though I find the rhythm awkward. It comes and goes but I don't worry about it. The poles make my tarp into a porch/leanto at night so I tolerate them.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk.

Elder
05-31-2014, 07:49
I have used poles for years and rarely use them on flat and level trails, I just carry them on one hand. I find that my pace is definitely slower on the flats using the poles. After awhile switching from using them to carrying them is almost automatic.

Once the terrain gets rough or there a climb up or down I switch to poles and match one pole plant per step.

Contrary to prior advice, I do not recommend using the wrist straps unless you are smooth ground. One fall with a pole strapped to your hand is going to lead to potential wrist elbow or shoulder issues. Unfortunately when you trip, the poles tend to catch in the ground and pivot away from you forcing your arm in an odd direction that doesn't line up where you are going to fall. Without a strap you just let go. I also palm my poles when going down steep downhills which is not possible while using a strap. .

Using the straps Wrong causes trouble, traps your hand, using them CORRECTLY allows your hand to escape if hung, you can go on palm top easily and it greatly reduces hand fatigue by not having to constantly grip.

peakbagger
05-31-2014, 08:25
Sorry Elder, I thinks its regional issue, no matter how you use the straps in the whites and much of Maine, there is potential for injury, I guess its just the difference in terrain. Most of the south on the AT tends to be lot flatter and less rocky, so the benefit gained from straps must offset the far lower likelihood of tripping or slipping.

Elder
05-31-2014, 20:03
Peakbagger, Maybeso. I learned on 14-17,000 mountains, and by 25+ years as the Leki rep. YMMV 8)

Franco
06-07-2014, 20:18
The problem with not finding a rhythm, I think, is just that :concentrating in finding a rhythm.I think that it is a bit like acting.
Anyone can walk and talk, drink a cup of coffee , cross a room and say : hi John, how have you been ? yet point a camera and suddenly those things become very difficult to do naturally.
So my advice is not to think at all on how to use them when using them, just walk .
BTW, look down at your feet when you walk paying attention where you put each foot and you will probably trip over. (this is on a flat trail at a good pace, not climbing...)
Same thing...

Del Q
06-08-2014, 18:44
I have a friend who uses his poles 100 percent differently than I do.

To me they are there as much for balance than anything else...........you NEVER KNOW when that slip or fall is coming, even on flat ground. (Ankle Rolls)

A few years ago I watched a You Tube video and saw how to use the straps on your wrists to really catapult yourself forward. Done right you can really get some speed going.............even ME which is saying a lot.

SunnyWalker
06-09-2014, 20:17
About 5 minutes. And I did not give any creedence to how to use them right or wrong other then the grip. I did/do what is comfortable to me. I really enjoy them especially on downhill. I can go much faster on downhill with them. I think I probably go uphill faster also because of their help and they give my arms a good workout.

shakey_snake
06-11-2014, 01:38
If you don't use fell like your poles are useful on flat ground, then you're probably planting them too far ahead of you.

Ricky&Jack
06-11-2014, 01:46
If you don't use fell like your poles are useful on flat ground, then you're probably planting them too far ahead of you.

Thats a good idea. I'll try to set my iPhone up and record myself walking by with my poles to see how it looks, when I get a chance on my next outing.

Another Kevin
06-11-2014, 13:40
I find I do the "correct" thing of using opposite-side poles only when tooling along on nearly level ground or powering up a moderate slope.

On a steep, or even moderate downhill, I wind up double-poling the big steps to spare whichever knee is taking the impact. On even steeper stuff, the poles get stowed to leave my hands free for scrambling or switch to an ice axe. I can do that in seconds because I zip-tied mitten hooks onto my poles and threaded a D ring onto a strap on my backpack. The routine is, "collapse poles, stick tips (upward!) into a gear loop, swing them around so the loop holds the baskets, and clip onto a D-ring."

I find it's important to get the wrist straps adjusted right - and learn to use them correctly, too. Your hands go in from underneath, and then grab both straps downward. When your hands are on the grips, both straps should come up the palm of your hand, with the loop snug around the back of your wrist. That way, you can lean into your poles without having to grip them at all, just steer them a little with your fingers. And the straps looping under means that when you open your hands, you've got a loose strap to pull your hand out. I'm not afraid that I'll be stuck to my poles in a fall.

If the poles are adjusted to the right length (most novices set them too long) and the wrist straps are right, the natural swing of your arms when walking puts the poles where they need to be. If you're finding that you lengthen stride uncomfortably with the poles, you probably either have them too long, have them in a death grip, or have the wrist straps on inside out (which looks more natural than doing it right).

Caveat lector: Several hikers here who are a lot more experienced than I am - Lone Wolf in particular - say that you don't need poles at all, ever, and they're simply excess weight. I think their knees are better than mine.

kidchill
06-11-2014, 18:16
Yah, I think the important take-away message here is: no one says you HAVE to use poles. Well, some people do, but what do they know? HYOH. I was never into the trekking pole thing. I started a SOBO thru with some Gossamer Gear UL poles. I snapped one of them the first day I used it on a river crossing! 50 miles later (in the 100mile wilderness), I sprained the hell outta my ankle! So, I used the one pole remaining, essentially as a crutch to spare excess weight on the bad ankle. I got a pair of Leki's in the first town I hit. I consistently used the poles through the rest of ME and NH. Once I hit VT and the trail was, well, actually a trail instead of an obstacle course, I carried them! I carried them all the way to Southern VA when I hit Rodger's and Roan and there was snow/ice on the top climbs. After that, I used them maybe a few more times throughout the rest of the trail. Poles are great when used properly and if they're needed. I can't tell you how many people I've seen with them set to the wrong length, barely planting them when they're walking, and almost just dragging them behind...

I would say watch some youtube videos on how to properly lengthen the poles. Your elbows should form right angles. Also see how to use the straps properly, if you choose to use them. I think there is some merit to the argument for/against them. But if you are using them, wrap them so the downward force of your arm pulls the poles into your hand. It allows you to NOT need a death grip. You don't have to learn some crazy rhythm. Yes, it's like canes/crutches/walkers. There is a method to use them in such a way that it reduces the forces on your lower extremities. But you should not be changing your natural gait to accommodate them. Any time you make changes to your natural gait, you're going to stress muscles and joints in a different manner which could lead to soreness/injury. Think of them as an extension of your arms and practice with them. After carrying the poles for so long, it felt awkward to try and use them again. I did it anyways cause slipping on ice sucks! Probably the greatest benefit of poles is the increase in stability because you have more points on the ground, and lightening the force exerted on your knees during down hill treks. Hope this helps, but like I said, adding in poles and finding your pace with them does take time...but, if you find they're not beneficial, then don't stress out about it. Also, if you're husky is on a leash, you may benefit from using just one pole as a stabilizer instead of 2 poles plus 1 dog!

Ricky&Jack
06-12-2014, 01:32
Other than minimizing it and storing it in your pack, or using a caribeaner to hang it wilding from your pack.... Is there a way to store or keep the poles handy? Like, does anyone attach it to their hip/leg so its always within reach without having to stop and grab from your pack etc?

Anybody have any pics of how they "store" their poles on stretches where its not in your hand?

BuckeyeBill
06-12-2014, 02:57
Other than minimizing it and storing it in your pack, or using a caribeaner to hang it wilding from your pack.... Is there a way to store or keep the poles handy? Like, does anyone attach it to their hip/leg so its always within reach without having to stop and grab from your pack etc?

Anybody have any pics of how they "store" their poles on stretches where its not in your hand?

Depends on your pack. The ULA Airx, Catalyst, CDT, Circuit all have straps for poles. I am sure that other packs do as well, I am just more familiar with the ULA line. HYOH

rafe
06-12-2014, 06:37

Most internal frame packs have compression straps that can be used to hold (collapsed) poles when not in use. That's true of both of my Granite Gear packs.

It's not like the transition from pole-using to not-pole-using happens multiple times per day. The most common occasion is arriving at a trailhead with intent to hitch into town, or vice versa.

Ricky&Jack
06-12-2014, 10:47
Oh, Okay. Cause I know it's nearly impossible to "ninja" it on your back and grab it at a moments notice like a sword.... I guess you are right. Either you need it for a while, or you don't. Not switching every few minutes or so.

rafe
06-12-2014, 10:58
Oh, Okay. Cause I know it's nearly impossible to "ninja" it on your back and grab it at a moments notice like a sword.... I guess you are right. Either you need it for a while, or you don't. Not switching every few minutes or so.

There are some in-between moments where you either wished you had 'em or wish you didn't. Like coming upon a short steep section. So there are ways of dealing with it...

-- throw the poles ahead (up or down the hill) and then use hands/feet as required
-- dangle the poles from wrists by the straps, use hands/feet as required

Beyond that it's just a matter of deciding whether it's worth the bother to switch from poled to pole-less. I'm reading a diary now (300 Zeros) where the dude claims to have a really quick and efficient pole-stashing system.

rafe
06-12-2014, 11:03
I don't have editing capabilities here but I feel compelled to add: when I encounter a ladder, or rebar in a steep rock face, I always stash the poles. (Stiles don't count as ladders in this regard.) Maybe that's just me.

Dobbins
07-07-2014, 20:01
It took me about four steps to get used to my trekking poles, fall in love with them, and decide to never go on another hike without at least one. I usually only have one out if I'm on flat land or in very rocky, scrambling areas. If there is a steady incline, two it is. I don't understand how certain hikers go without them.

Ricky&Jack
07-07-2014, 20:11
after creating this thread, I used my poles on a flat 4mile, round trip hike. I was completely comfortable.

I think when i first tried poles, I was dumb and tried to use them every step and I ended up feeling like an orangoutang or "Jimmy" from South park using his arm crutches.

Now I could take several steps before putting the poles down.

I'm quickly finding my rhythm. It just took you guys telling me "try different methods"