PDA

View Full Version : Food sacks?

Groundsound1
05-22-2014, 15:00
Hey whiteblaze!

excited to announce that i will be buying my plane ticket to Bangor and will be starting my SOBO thru hike in early July. Favorite piece of gear so far? my two pairs of heavy smart wool socks. Didn't understand the hype - until now.

Anywho, i still have a few peices of gear to get, pretty much done with clothes (Decided to leave out rain pants and just stick with my nylon rei zip off pants and let them dry) but still need little things.

I ordered the outdoor research "Dry ditty sacks" three pack thinking that these would be my food bags. when i got them, i learned that even the largest bag could be the bag that holds my AT guide and first aid and that's it. 30 dollars for these small things?? you gotta be kidding me.. anyways, do you guys have specific sacks that you suggest would be good to use? i will be keeping everything in a zip lock back as well as a separate sack, so the sack quality shouldn't matter that much correct? i will need a sack that can carry up to 10 days of food for the 100mw.

Also, this is my bear bag that can also hold food, for any extra input. http://www.equinoxltd.com/the-gear/ultralite-gear/ursus_ultralite_bear_bag.cfm

Thanks a bunch! incredibly happy to be going on this journey, there comes a time in life when you have to leave everything behind and start something new, something bigger than we are.

RED-DOG
05-22-2014, 15:21
I use a 15L silnylon from OR which is water proof also i put all my food in Zip-Lock bags while still in their original package and that goes in my food bag, and it is the perfect size i can put 5-6 days of food in it, thats Breakfast, Lunch, Dinners and snacks, on all three of my thrus i only carried 6 days of food through the 100 MW which was plenty, 10 days of food sounds like an awful lot You need to remember when you first start you want eat as much food as you will 200 miles down the trail, Most Hikers make the mistake of starting with to much food. Good Luck and Happy Hiking.

Hikes in Rain
05-22-2014, 15:25
Went to Walmart and got their pack of three stuff sacks for, I think, $10. Largest one, green, is my food bag, with the food in plastic bags since the sack isn't waterproof. Smaller one (blue?) is my "ditty" bag for toiletries and small stuff. Remaining middle bag (red?) is the clothes hamper. These two stay dry in the trash bag pack liner.

Odd Man Out
05-22-2014, 15:40
I have the ZPacks Blast Food bag. For clothes, I'll just use a plastic shopping bag.

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/bear_bag.shtml

TwoSpirits
05-22-2014, 15:44
I was having the same question. As SOBO's, it's going to take us a little longer to get through the HMW than NOBO's who already have their legs and are probably feeling ready to finish. Nevertheless, I'm trying to plan my food carefully for this stretch: I know that I usually don't eat much my first few days out, yet I want to be careful that I bring enough calories so that I don't bonk. I want to enjoy my time in this area, so I'm not planning to hurry. I also know that the weather (early June) could necessitate an extra day or even more waiting for high water to settle.

I decided on a Sea - to - Summit 20L ultra-sil dry sack. Two ounces, fits everything I could want to hang at night, including my stove, toiletries, etc. When I'm past the HMW, I can just swap it out for another smaller sack if I really feel the need, but I don't think it will be a problem.

Sent from...wait, where am I again?

jimmyjam
05-22-2014, 16:22
I make them out of cuben and sell them. Send me a pm if you are interested.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Coffee
05-22-2014, 16:41
I have the ZPacks Blast Food bag. For clothes, I'll just use a plastic shopping bag.

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/bear_bag.shtml
I also have the zPacks food bag and it has held up quite well.

bigcranky
05-22-2014, 20:14
We have two Zpacks Blast food bags (for two hikers, natch.) They hold a lot, fit perfectly in the top of a ULA Circuit pack, and are easy to hang using the PCT Method (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/bear_bag_hanging_technique.html). Not cheap, but worth it to me. I think Zpacks sells a kit with the appropriate slick no-stretch cord.

Theosus
05-22-2014, 20:15
Go to walmart and get the three-color pack of dry sacks. Ive used the green one for my food/stove bag for three years now. It hangs in the trees overnight on every hike. Cheap and durable (I know - surprising for a walmart product)

Malto
05-22-2014, 21:12
I made mine out of cuben and I custom sized them to fit perfectly into my pack, my pack has a very small cross section. I recommend two food bags. One, in the bottom of the pack is for future days food. The bag in the top,of the pack is a day food bag.

making the bags from cuben is dirt simple, no sewing. Just need the double side tape, cuben, cord and cord lock. You can get it all from zpacks or other places.

ChinMusic
05-22-2014, 23:42
I used two smaller food bags on my thru. It helped to find what I was looking for quicker and two small bags packed better than one large bag.

Astro
05-23-2014, 00:11
I make them out of cuben and sell them. Send me a pm if you are interested.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

I would strongly recommend JimmyJam if you are interested. :)

HooKooDooKu
05-23-2014, 00:40
Look for something with a D-ring. I personally do not trust the clips to stay closed, so I want a D ring to hang the bag from.

One example is the Sea-to-summit eVAC dry sack. Fairly light weight (though there are some sil-nylon bags available that are lighter...but they don't usually have the D ring). Note, there is the eVent (which is a compression sack) and the eVAC (which is not).

rowan
05-25-2014, 18:45
http://www.ursack.com/product9.html

Clear, so you can see what you're going for.

Nearly odor proof.

Waterproof.

Boom.

Not sure what sizes they are still selling, but I like a BIG food bag. It doesnt' have to be full, but has the capacity to be. You can also find tough clear sacks with a sliding zip lock thing... can't remember the brand, but good camping stores should have a selection. even if they aren't designed to be "food bags". almost like compression bags for vac sealing clothing.

Odd Man Out
05-25-2014, 19:23
...Favorite piece of gear so far? my two pairs of heavy smart wool socks. Didn't understand the hype - until now....

When your SOBOing through VT, find some Dart Tough AT edition micro crew cushion socks. Smart Wool gets hype but Darn Tough is a cult!:cool:

http://darntough.com/men/mens-hike-trek/atc-sock-micro-crew-cushion