PDA

View Full Version : Black Gap Shelter Compared To Springer Shelters?

Ricky&Jack
05-22-2014, 17:47
My goal a few days ago was to hike Amicalola to Springer mountain with my Husky, as our first overnight hike together.

But I was incredibly wore out with the hike and "settled" at the first shelter I came to (Black Gap Shelter). Then when I was headed back in the morning, about 3minutes after I left Black Gap we saw our first bear (video of it here https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1493825104163290&set=vb.100006074443162&type=2&theater )

I would like to try again in a week or so to make it to the plaque and/or Springer mountain shelters.

How long of a hike past Black Gap Shelter is the plaque and the Springer Shelter? (or was there 2 other shelters near Springer?)

Also, the water at Black gap was pretty rough side trail down hill to get to and wasnt worth the walk (I prefered the water about 15minutes before black gap)

I would like to finally reach springer next week when i try again. But I have no problem with just doing black gap again, if springer is equally "good" as Black Gap.

can you compare black gap with the springer site(s)? and how long of a hike past black gap were they?

FatMan
05-22-2014, 18:03
Black Gap Shelter to Springer Mtn is about 1.75 miles. A shelter is a shelter...they all suck. Water is easier at Springer Shelter though but it often goes dry in late summer.

Ricky&Jack
05-22-2014, 18:06
yeah, where I filled up water near black gap was steep. The only time I fell.

and the water was more or less trickling on rocks.

If springer has a steady flow near the camp (compared to a 5minute downhill/uphill walk at black gap) I would consider Springer well worth it to have the water nearby.

No Directions
05-22-2014, 18:32
Here's a suggestion. Park at the FS 42 parking lot, hike .9 miles up to Springer, then hike north on the AT to about the Hawk Mtn shelter. There are plenty of tenting spots in the vicinity of the shelter. Then the next morning hike back to FS 42. That's a pretty easy hike plus you will pass Three Forks and Long Creek Falls.

Ricky&Jack
05-22-2014, 19:06
I guess I could do that.

I had thought of trying amicalola to springer every week or so to get "into hiking shape", but yeah, why do the same over and over, if I can just "section hike" a different stretch every time. (and before I know it, I'll have done everything in Georgia.)

I swear, if this idea was a snake, it would have bite me. thanks for the recommendation

Is FS42 good parking for an overnite trip? or is it questionable for that long?

saltysack
05-22-2014, 19:35
Do yourself a favor....remember less is better in most cases while hiking...keep your pack weight down. Most Wally World gear is heavy. Go to mountain crossings at neels gap have them do a pack shake down. I remember starting out buying a bunch of heavy car camping junk... From Wally World.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigcranky
05-22-2014, 20:11
Springer is, as noted above, less than 2 miles from Black Gap Shelter. It's a very different place - it's the summit, for one thing, so there are terrific views from the rocks where the plaque and the first white blaze are. There is excellent tenting on the summit, and the water source is very good. It's not too close, but it's a nice stream and not downhill from the camping area.

There's nothing wrong with going back and trying again :)

Ricky&Jack
05-22-2014, 20:15
I think next week or so I will park at FS42, and hike to Hawk mountain, and return. (I'll go out of the way to make it to springer either before or after)

Is FS42 a "safe" spot to park for the night? or is it basically a place to park just long enough to drop off/pick up?

FatMan
05-22-2014, 20:23
I think next week or so I will park at FS42, and hike to Hawk mountain, and return. (I'll go out of the way to make it to springer either before or after)

Is FS42 a "safe" spot to park for the night? or is it basically a place to park just long enough to drop off/pick up?I have no hesitation in leaving my car overnight at the Springer lot. Can crap happen? Sure. But it is very rare.

Ricky&Jack
05-22-2014, 20:24
oh okay. i have never seen pics of it. so I wasnt sure if it was basically a shoulder to park on or what.

MuddyWaters
05-22-2014, 21:00
The undesirable thing about hiking to a shelter like Hawk, is the same thing as Black Gap, its not at an accessible point, so if you want to fill in the parts you havent hiked, you always end up having to do some backtracking, repeat areas, etc. Better to always go from road crossing, to road crossing, one direction. IE, park at woody gap, get a shuttle to FS42, and hike the distance over 2 days. Then next time you are set to go from woody to somewhere else.

bigcranky
05-22-2014, 21:37
The parking are at FS42 is a dirt parking lot off a gravel Forest Service road. The trail goes right through the parking area. There's no total guarantee that it's safe, of course, but I've left my car in plenty of similar places while hiking with no issues so far.

Ricky&Jack
05-22-2014, 21:44
great. :)

like muddy waters mentioned.... i should do Road to Road hikes.

theres no reason to do springer to Hawk Mountain, and then hike all the way back to the car. (its easier to get dropped off and then you can go twice as far and not backtrack)

But I live 62miles away and the only person in my family not disabled. So I have to drive and park myself. Unless I can figure a way to get a ride back to my car without hiking/backtracking

MuddyWaters
05-22-2014, 21:55
great. :)

But I live 62miles away and the only person in my family not disabled. So I have to drive and park myself. Unless I can figure a way to get a ride back to my car without hiking/backtracking

Nothing wrong with out -and -back, but you do cover 1/2 the terrain for the time spent.

Getting shuttled is as easy as it gets in GA, it just isnt free unfortunately most of the time. There are probably a dozen people that do it for hire in that area.

Praha4
05-22-2014, 22:29
fwiw, Springer to Hawk Mtn shelter is about the easiest section of the AT in Georgia, you will find it much easier than the Approach Trail. It does have some nice stream/creek crossings, and Long Creek Falls is nice. Hawk Mtn shelter has a nice reliable spring also. As you head north, the section from Hawk Mtn shelter to Gooch Mtn Shelter is one of the more difficult sections in GA, with Sassafras Mtn and Justis Mtn climbs. You have the right idea, keep doing sections when you have time to get in better shape for the trail. I often drive up from NW Florida to hike Amicalola Falls to Neels Gap for a short training hike. Have fun!

Ricky&Jack
05-22-2014, 23:04
fwiw, Springer to Hawk Mtn shelter is about the easiest section of the AT in Georgia, you will find it much easier than the Approach Trail. It does have some nice stream/creek crossings, and Long Creek Falls is nice. Hawk Mtn shelter has a nice reliable spring also. As you head north, the section from Hawk Mtn shelter to Gooch Mtn Shelter is one of the more difficult sections in GA, with Sassafras Mtn and Justis Mtn climbs. You have the right idea, keep doing sections when you have time to get in better shape for the trail. I often drive up from NW Florida to hike Amicalola Falls to Neels Gap for a short training hike. Have fun!

you sold me on it.

daddytwosticks
05-23-2014, 06:18
Living where I am, I do out and back overnight hikes all the time durring the hiker season. Sometimes, on the spur of the moment. Nothing wrong with that. My car has always been there safely waiting for me at the end of the hike. Also, lighten up your load. The temps are warming up and you are at a lower elevation down around the Springer area. Just check the forecast before you go out and figure out what you can leave at home, for example, warmer clothing, heavy sleeping bag, etc. Have a great hike. :)

Pedaling Fool
05-23-2014, 07:42
There are a lot of shelters with water much farther off and down steeper hills on the AT then at Black Gap. The worst is probably Vandeventer shelter.

Other than that, all in all the shelters are all about the same as Black Gap. All in all, the Approach trail is about the same as the AT.

Hikes in Rain
05-23-2014, 08:53
One of the advantages of doing out and back hikes is that, if you keep it up, you can legitimately say you walked the trail twice, in both directions.

MuddyWaters
05-23-2014, 20:27
While many shelters are 0-0.2 miles off the trail, there are a few much more. There is a shelter in Ga, I dont remember name, its off of Wildcat Mtn I think before Hogpen gap, the shelter is 1.2 miles off the trail. dont know if it sees much activity, I sure wasnt going to check it out.

You dont need a shelter
Factor in shelter off-trail distances AND water distances too. The guide often says how far it is to water ,.1,.2, etc.
Sometimes it makes more sense to just keep going and stay somewhere else, or get water somewhere else.

It always sucks when you have to go downhill a long ways for water. Or uphill for that matter.