PDA

View Full Version : Travel to Springer Mt and return from Mt. Kitahdin

Siarl
05-22-2014, 21:23
I have been planning, researching and what not now for about a year for an upcoming thru hike beginning March 2015. My plans for arriving at the trailhead and departing from Kitahdin are kind of in the sketch mode. Getting to Springer Mt. is pretty easy from where I'm at since I live in far west Texas. I will be taking Amtrak from Alpine, TX into Atlanta, GA and then getting a shuttle to one of the inns or hostels at the trailhead. The return from Kitahdin is a little bit different. Tentatively I will catch a ride to Millinocket (from what I understand here in the forum, it's pretty easy to manage) and then perhaps a bus to Bangor, ME. Then catch a plane to Atlanta, GA. Then take Amtrak returning to Alpine. Then it's only a matter of having a friend drive the hour and a half, pick me up and drive me the hour and a half back to Terlingua, TX.

I would be interested in finding our what other's have done to return to their home from Mt. Kitahdin.

The time is sneaking up on me. I may not be able to make it for a 2015 hike but I'm still planning on it as if it's gawna happen! (the grammar was on purpose so don't those English folks git thar drawers in an uproar).

rafe
05-22-2014, 23:13
Last thing you should be worrying about. Really. If and when you make it to Katahdin you'll know what to do. Thousands of folks have figured it out. Getting there is the hard part.

Ricky&Jack
05-22-2014, 23:24
dont plan on a plane.... unless u want to spend $800 on a short notice purchase.

id think either a one way car rental, or greyhound is cheapest.

of u meet hikers who live on the way back to tx and u get a partial ride

BillyGr
05-23-2014, 20:29
Since you already mentioned Amtrak for the outgoing route, just thought I'd look.
If you got back to Portland ME (which should be doable from Bangor - probably a bus route?) you can pick up Amtrak there and take it all the way to Alpine.

Takes about 3 days, though, so you'd need some time - goes thru Boston MA, to Albany NY, to Chicago IL to Texas with a couple train changes en route (including one in Boston between stations you have to do, but getting a taxi for that wouldn't be an issue - or since it allows a few hours between trains, maybe just a chance to walk across and see some of the city, just in case you haven't had enough walking by then :) ).

Just picking a random summer date, it starts around $300, more if you want something other than just a seat, but might be an interesting way to go and see some of the rest of the country en route, as opposed to just flying over it, and probably not much time difference vs a bus (though probably a cost one)?

ChuckT
05-24-2014, 05:42
Bravo for trying to use Amtrak. Wife and I have tried to set up several trips by train. Never found it to be convenient or inexpensive

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk.

rafe
05-24-2014, 07:40
Bravo for trying to use Amtrak. Wife and I have tried to set up several trips by train. Never found it to be convenient or inexpensive

Amtrak works OK in the east. I've used it between Boston and New York City for one of my section hikes. My wife used Amtrak last year to return to NYC from Washington DC.

ChuckT
05-24-2014, 07:57
We are in Fla. Empties coming back as far as Amtrak is concerned, ie much dinero & lots o delays to get anywhere. Just when I was ready yo do the Sunset (?) to California they canceled it.
My kind of luck

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk.

jj2044
05-24-2014, 08:43
I took Amtrak from harpers Ferry to Dallas, it was kind of a pain. ended up costing me about the same as it would of to rent a car and drive...... driving would of saved me a full day.

Venchka
05-24-2014, 09:51
Good luck. I guess if you live in Terlingua, the wet, green, damp, green, soggy east coast looks inviting. I keep wishing and hoping to find the time to come to your neck of the woods.
Seems like the CDT would be more inviting and easier to get to the start anyway.
Have fun.

Wayne

RED-DOG
05-24-2014, 10:44
This is how i did it when i finished my 2006 Thru-Hike, From Baxter State Park Hitch to Millinocket ( it's an easy Hitch ), Get CYR Bus Line to Bangor then change to GreyHound take greyhound all the way home "this is the cheapest option" or you could take bus to Portland ME and take Amtrak to texas, A family member pick me up at BSP when i finished my Thru in 2012.

SS/SB
05-24-2014, 10:54
and that Portland to Boston stretch is often delayed....and slow tho the route has it's moments to gawk at

Siarl
05-25-2014, 01:41
Good luck. I guess if you live in Terlingua, the wet, green, damp, green, soggy east coast looks inviting. I keep wishing and hoping to find the time to come to your neck of the woods.
Seems like the CDT would be more inviting and easier to get to the start anyway.
Have fun.

Wayne

I'm originally from the Appalachians of Virginia right next door to NC. I grew up wanting to hike the Appalachian since I was a kid. I love the outdoors no matter where I am and I do love the Big Bend area, however, I also miss the mountains and it's culture and fauna and flora. I consider this a visit to reacquaint myself with those things.

Siarl
05-25-2014, 01:41
Thank you all for your input. All the advice is appreciated.

Riocielo
05-31-2014, 00:22
Re Amtrak... we took the Crescent from AL to NYC in November.

3 days would be a long time to sit in Coach, and usually your meals aren't included in the ticket. If you have a sleeper, meals ARE included, but it is much more expensive. Our trip up was riddled with delays and mechanical failures -- such as no working toilet on our entire car-- we were several hours late arriving to NY.

The Roomettes (emphasis on the "-ette") was TINY, but if you aren't sharing it, it wouldn't be too bad. Overall it was a nice experience, but not one I'm anxious to repeat. I certainly wouldn't want to do it after hiking for 6 months!

moytoy
05-31-2014, 08:27
Lots of choices...Here is one...Hitch over to the coast, find a nice place to winter in Maine, (I like Bar Harbor but others may differ). During the winter search around for a good blue water sail boat. I like 30' boats for solo sailing but a larger boat can be equipped for solo if you wish. Have the boat ready for sailing in May and head east to Spain and down the west coast of Africa. You'll be looking for an Island called Santa Cruz de Tenerife, here your going go resupply for your trip to Texas. Set your auto pilot south of the West Indies so that the trade currents take you into the Gulf of Mexico. From there anybody can tell you how to get to Texas.
When you finish you will have completed two classic journeys.

Venchka
05-31-2014, 15:49
Tenants Harbor would be my first choice. Or anywhere up the coast toward Camden. Good plan!

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Ricky&Jack
05-31-2014, 15:53
also, be warned....

if you take a greyhound from Maine to Texas, you may get some serious bad leg cramps while in the seat, from 6 months of hiking, and then being forced to sit cramped for 3 days

Pony
05-31-2014, 17:30
On the summit of Katahdin I met two guys from Boston that were heading home that evening. They were in awful shape and in their moment of weakness agreed to give me a ride to Portland where I was to catch a plane home. Several hours later they finally hobbled off the mountain and we headed off to Portland. Turned out they were complete jerks and it was a four hour ride. It was filled with all sorts of subtle jabs about my appearance, smell, choice of occupation, etc. Upon arrival in Portland, and after figuring out I was nearly broke from months of hiking without working, they dropped me off at the Marriott hotel and had the bellhop remove my dirty pack from the trunk of their car knowing that I couldn't afford it. They then drove 50 feet across the street and got out at a very nice restaurant. It gave me great pleasure to watch them limp into the restaurant. Nonetheless despite the fact that they were enormous d bags, they honored their commitment to get me to Portland, and I thanked them profusely as if they had treated me like royalty.

The point is, if you make it to Katahdin, you will find a way to get home.

rafe
05-31-2014, 17:49
The point is, if you make it to Katahdin, you will find a way to get home.

Yeah, that was pretty much my point as well. With the lessons learned getting to K, the trip home will be a no-brainer.

Ricky&Jack
05-31-2014, 17:51
Yeah, that was pretty much my point as well. With the lessons learned getting to K, the trip home will be a no-brainer.

especially if during your last week of the trail you become more chatty and start a conversation with every hiker you meet and ask where they are from.

If You ask 40 people, chances are atleast one is from texas, or they live in that direction and can help you get a lift.

(Meeting a hiker at Springer is who from the same town as you does NO good, unless you hike the trail together or get there the same time..... the closer you get to Maine, the better odds the person you meet on the trail wont drop out)

Coffee
05-31-2014, 17:57
also, be warned....

if you take a greyhound from Maine to Texas, you may get some serious bad leg cramps while in the seat, from 6 months of hiking, and then being forced to sit cramped for 3 days

I took a Greyhound from Harrisburg to DC at the end of my section hike last month. For a few hours, Greyhound is fine and sometimes much cheaper than the train (in my case, $30 vs. $120+). But I wouldn't take the bus for longer distances and there really is less of an incentive to since train and bus prices are pretty similar for long hauls (along with airfares sometimes, if you can plan a week or two in advance).

Ricky&Jack
05-31-2014, 18:02
when i was 12 I took greyhound from california to oklahoma.....
when i was 12-17 I took greyhound from Oklahoma to Iowa (5 times for the summer with grandparents)....
last month I took the greyhound from North Carolina to Georgia after I quit my job and returned my 18wheeeler.

When I was on it 2 months ago, almost every seat had power outlet to charge my phone and laprop. And it wasnt half crowded. The only thing that sucked was that it woulda been a 6hr car drive, but was an 18hour drive and I spent 2 hours in charlotte and 2hours in atlanta waiting for a transfer.

But would I rather spend $100 to ride a bus across country at the last minute, or pay $800 for a last minute plane?...... if im not in the hurry, id rather take the bus and save $700

(Ive never ridden a train cause there was no AMTRAK ever near where I live)

Coffee
05-31-2014, 18:12
But would I rather spend $100 to ride a bus across country at the last minute, or pay $800 for a last minute plane?...... if im not in the hurry, id rather take the bus and save $700

If at all possible use Southwest. Book a couple weeks in advance to get a cheap fare. If the ticket has to be changed, SW has no change fees although the ticket price itself may go up. However, fares are almost always reasonable. For example if I had to fly from Portland Maine to Baltimore tomorrow it would only cost $222. It can be more obviously for longer haul routes.

I have no complaints about the Greyhound bus itself but I get motion sickness sitting in a bus for too long especially in bad traffic. Train/plane is a smoother and more pleasant ride for me if the trip is more than a few hours.

Ricky&Jack
05-31-2014, 18:14
ive never used southwest.

I have been on 3 planes. once when I was 11, and then I flew to puerto rico the past 2 novembers and a round trip was only $310 with Delta.

But I hear that SouthWest is cheap.

Coffee
05-31-2014, 18:15
Also, don't assume that Greyhound is cheaper for last minute fares for long haul routes. For fun I checked a sample long haul route. One way from Washington DC to San Francisco leaving tomorrow. Washington DC to San Francisco is $244 on Greyhound. Or you can fly US Airways for $286 and save a few days of travel time.

Ricky&Jack
05-31-2014, 18:17
yeah, I never paid over $110 for a greyhound ticket. But also, i think I always booked a week in advance. But I never looked up a cross country.