PDA

View Full Version : Hiking and pads..

WaxQueen
05-23-2014, 12:55
How does one dispose of used pads on a hike? Stick em in a ziplock bag until you come across a trash can?

Traffic Jam
05-23-2014, 13:29
Yes. Pack them out. To cut down on odor, you can add a handful of leaves and dirt to your bag.

WaxQueen
05-23-2014, 16:18
What do you mean "pack them out"?? Haha! Sorry if thats a stupid question! I want to make sure I understand. :P

The Cleaner
05-23-2014, 16:34
A female hiker told me that NOLS instructors told her to cover a Ziploc bag with duct tape. It will reinforce the bag plus you, or others will not see the contents. If you do not understand what " Pack out your trash" means, maybe you should stay at a campground...

Traffic Jam
05-23-2014, 16:40
Believe me, I'm the queen of stupid questions. :) All of your trash is carried out of the backcountry in your backpack and disposed of in trash cans. That's what I mean by "pack it out".

https://lnt.org/learn/7-principles

Traffic Jam
05-23-2014, 16:54
If you do not understand what " Pack out your trash" means, maybe you should stay at a campground...

That's a bit harsh and uncalled for.

WaxQueen
05-23-2014, 17:18
The Cleaner, hey! Newbies gotta start somewhere! In my opinion there are only two ways to learn. Figure it out yourself or ask questions. :rolleyes:

Thanks Traffic Jam!! :)

Venchka
05-24-2014, 19:52
The Cleaner, hey! Newbies gotta start somewhere! In my opinion there are only two ways to learn. Figure it out yourself or ask questions. :rolleyes:

Thanks Traffic Jam!! :)

There is also the seemingly lost art of self directed individual study ands research.
Read a book. There are several.
Buzz words from The Dark Ages:
Take only photos. Leave only footprints.
Pack it in. Pack it out.
Leave no trace.
Based on recent reports, the above is increasingly ignored.
There will be little need to buy water during a half or thru hike.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Traffic Jam
05-24-2014, 19:59
There is also the seemingly lost art of self directed individual study ands research.
Pack it in. Pack it out.
Leave no trace.

Wayne

Everyone learns differently. I learn best by doing and making mistakes. Some people learn best by reading. Regardless, when someone new chooses to ask a question, they should never be made to feel like an idiot.

Venchka
05-24-2014, 20:34
Everyone learns differently. I learn best by doing and making mistakes. Some people learn best by reading. Regardless, when someone new chooses to ask a question, they should never be made to feel like an idiot.

Did I do that? If so, I apologize.
I was summarizing several years of observation on various forae with various subject matter. Independent research is a dying activity.
In another thread the OP asked how much would they spend for food and water during a thru hike. I answered the second half of that question here. Break up the monotony.
As for my quotes, they were, and still should be, common knowledge and followed.
Cheers. Have fun.

Wayne

Traffic Jam
05-24-2014, 21:39
I can attest to the fact that it's very difficult being a female in a male-dominated forum. On WB especially, men can be very intimidating, condescending, and rude. It's a damn shame when a woman can't ask a question in the Women's Forum without being lectured/berated/or made to feel stupid by a man.

Teacher & Snacktime
05-24-2014, 22:03
It's a damn shame when a woman can't ask a question in the Women's Forum without being lectured/berated/or made to feel stupid by a man.

Point, set and match.

Venchka
05-24-2014, 22:24
Y'all aren't reading something that I am not reading.
Later Y'all.

Wayne

WaxQueen
05-25-2014, 10:00
Pack it in. Pack it out.
Leave no trace.

Wayne

I did find what you say helpful Wayne. And The Cleaner too! I'm sorry if I haven't acknowledged that. I appreciate it very much. :) The more knowledge I can glean, I think the better prepared I can be for the trail. :)

At the same time, when I read "If you do not understand what " Pack out your trash" means, maybe you should stay at a campground..." from The Cleaner, and "There is also the seemingly lost art of self directed individual study ands research.
Read a book. There are several." from Wayne, I did feel very unwelcomed. Now, I don't think that was your purpose in saying those things. :) Not at all. But it would help me out, if you'd put a smilie in, or suggest a book for me to read. That way I know you mean well, and want to help me succeed in hiking the AT. :)

As to what TrafficJam said. "I can attest to the fact that it's very difficult being a female in a male-dominated forum. On WB especially, men can be very intimidating, condescending, and rude. It's a damn shame when a woman can't ask a question in the Women's Forum without being lectured/berated/or made to feel stupid by a man."

I agree with her in the sense that I do want to be treated with a certain gentleness by men. And that goes with anywhere, not just forums. I think most(all maybe) women want to be treated with gentleness, and being quite emotional creatures(at least I know I am..) its very painful when I feel I'm not being treated so. Now, I can't expect gentleness. But I will always want it, because I feel so safe and valued when I honestly receive it.

Anyways!

I'm confused by what you say Wayne, about little need to buy water during a half or thru hike. Is there water I can get on the trail?

Venchka
05-25-2014, 10:31
Thank you! I meant no harm.
Typing on my phone is not the best way to communicate. Stand by. I will explain better from a real keyboard.
Water is indeed plentiful along the trail. Filtering and/or treating naturally occurring water is a subject to search for at WhiteBlaze. There are many opinions.
Wayne

WaxQueen
05-25-2014, 10:38
:)
Okay! I'll definitely look that up! Thank you!! :)

SingingForest
05-28-2014, 22:51
How does one dispose of used pads on a hike? Stick em in a ziplock bag until you come across a trash can?

I have been using reusable cloth pads for awhile now and have loved it. There's no trash with them, and I can just wash one with a little soap and have it ready to change into once it's dry. I like http://partypantspads.com. I like them so much I even use them when I'm off trail.

WaxQueen
05-28-2014, 23:25
I actually have some cloth pads! So I could do that. I guess the difference is washing vs. carrying more trash to dispose of..

ams212001
05-29-2014, 05:13
You can also look into the Diva cup.

Steep learning curve for a couple of months but I find it worth it!

Spirit Walker
05-29-2014, 10:19
Rinsing out a pad on the trail could be problematic. You don't want to be anywhere near a water source. But even if you go in the woods to wash them, you'll attract critters. That means waiting until town, which means carrying the used ones anyway.

One issue with pads is that if there is any bulk, you will get chaffing in the summer. I used tampons instead, with a light panty liner.

WaxQueen
05-29-2014, 10:39
Yeah, I've heard of the diva cup, but not sure about if its for me. I'll have to research it some more!! Thanks!

illabelle
05-29-2014, 10:44
I'm beyond the age to care, but I've heard that some younger women will get a prescription to eliminate their period for the time they're on the trail. Seems like a good thing.

katze
05-29-2014, 23:56
I'd definitely look into a diva cup or other menstrual cup, personally I prefer the fleur cup. I love mine for all the time and not just hiking. Less waste! I'd pair it with a light liner, either cloth or disposable.

ams212001
05-30-2014, 01:13
Yeah, I've heard of the diva cup, but not sure about if its for me. I'll have to research it some more!! Thanks!

I was on the fence about mine but I find that once i got use to the cup it was fine. It is definitely scary at first! If you are planning on hiking I would try a bunch of different things now so you have a better idea on trail. Just like with your other gear. The nice thing about the cup is you really only have to change it twice a day maybe three if it is a heavy day. Plus, you can dump the waste into a cat hole and bury it.

The cup can also be sterilized in boiling water on the trail. This part may sound gross but boiling water kills all germs so you cook pot is not going to be filled with grossness because it all sterilized by boiling. It is more of a mind over matter type issue.

WaxQueen
06-01-2014, 15:55
Yeah, I've always just used pads, so the diva cup is something I'm leery about! But curious too! Especially if it would make life easier for me!! :)
I'm a country girl, so not much grosses me out. :P Gotta do whatcha gotta do! :)

squeezebox
06-06-2014, 19:45
I'm a male so I do not know what I'm talking about.
I'm also a nurse so i know a little.
Sounds to me that the easiest way is to medically eliminate your period.
Takes a little while to become fertile again.
But it will come back with no side effects.
My humble opinion.

Traffic Jam
06-06-2014, 20:08
I'm a male so I do not know what I'm talking about.
I'm also a nurse so i know a little.
Sounds to me that the easiest way is to medically eliminate your period.
Takes a little while to become fertile again.
But it will come back with no side effects.
My humble opinion.

Touche! By the way, I apologized to venchka for being such a witch. :)

I agree 100% with medically eliminating your period. Of course, there are contraindications to oral contraceptives, talk to your GYN, etc. etc.

Superbugz
06-06-2014, 21:48
There are several forms of BCP these days that not only eliminate your period for up to 3 months at a time, but also when you do get it, it's very light and lasts only a few day. I use it to manage severe PMS, but got the added benefits which I didn't expect. Gotta say, this is the way to go for me. It's not for everyone though, talk to your doc and plan ahead, it takes a few cycles to get things right.

WaxQueen
06-07-2014, 22:33
Yeah, I've heard of doing that too, but I'd rather not mess with my hormones.. They're usually bad enough!!! :datz:( :( :(

I'll take the period.. :rolleyes: :p

Demeter
06-13-2014, 00:08
+1 on the diva cup. But if one uses organic cotton, why not simply burn them? Fire starting material, perhaps (but not with a group watching). My personal fav; a personal worship to the moon goddess, thanks for her assistance on your journey :)

WaxQueen
06-17-2014, 23:37
I like something about your perspective Demeter!! lol! :p :D

Tipi Walter
06-18-2014, 05:08
+1 on the diva cup. But if one uses organic cotton, why not simply burn them? Fire starting material, perhaps (but not with a group watching). My personal fav; a personal worship to the moon goddess, thanks for her assistance on your journey :)

Totally agree with burning. It's also a good way to lessen book weight on a trip after reading---and granola wrappers, used q-tips, etc.

OR you can do what some TN women backpackers do---just leave it on the ground as trash for others like me to see and comment on---

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpack-2014-Trips-152/24-Days-in-the-Cold/i-Zcsg6jX/0/L/TRIP%20152%20172-L.jpg
(Actual photograph of the not-so-elusive sign of the species Redneck on the Bald River trail in Tennessee).

mad4scrapping
06-19-2014, 17:34
Totally agree with burning. It's also a good way to lessen book weight on a trip after reading---and granola wrappers, used q-tips, etc.

OR you can do what some TN women backpackers do---just leave it on the ground as trash for others like me to see and comment on---

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpack-2014-Trips-152/24-Days-in-the-Cold/i-Zcsg6jX/0/L/TRIP%20152%20172-L.jpg
(Actual photograph of the not-so-elusive sign of the species Redneck on the Bald River trail in Tennessee).

That's disgusting.

Demeter
06-19-2014, 18:15
That's disgusting.

I agree. But still no worse than the poop and t.p. someone left next to a friends tent at Trail Days last year :eek::eek::eek:

RumpusParable
07-17-2014, 22:42
I used the Keeper for years and then switched to the Diva Cup when it started getting a bit old. I'm hoping to be able to use something internal by next year but that's a medical issue that who knows... If I can, I'm ordering a new Diva Cup.

Otherwise, the plan is still cloth pads and washing them out when I get a chance over and over.

Two notes:

None of the BC offered out there that can make your periods stop will reliably make your periods stop. All have the possibility and realistic likelihood of breakthrough bleeding. So if one uses such, still bring at least a bit of period items. I've been on pills, depo, and am now on an implant. All occasional tiny spotting or full-on periods happened once in a great while.

Boiling doesn't sterilize. It sanitizes. It will not kill all germs on anything at all that is boiled. It kills some, but not all. However, in this case we're talking about your own germs so as long as the pads haven't been left damp to develop infectious cultures, so there's not really anything to worry about. If you've ever sucked on a finger you've cut with a kitchen knife, it's no different.

HooKooDooKu
07-18-2014, 00:24
Yeah, I've heard of doing that too, but I'd rather not mess with my hormones.. They're usually bad enough!!! :datz:( :( :(

I'll take the period.. :rolleyes: :p

Here's something to consider... using a period-halting form of BC causes your body to operate a bit more like the way it was designed for...
What I mean by this (and this is something coming from a birth control book I read many years ago, so I don't recall the source) is that it is a modern phenomenon for women to menstruate for most of their reproductive years. In a previous age, women started menstruating later, and and getting married and starting a family closer to the start of the onset of menstruation. Once married, they would get pregnant within a couple of years. Even after the baby was born, menstruation didn't immediately return. The hormones that breastfeeding release also prevent menstruation in most women... and so with each baby, the average woman would go perhaps two years without menstruating. When you combine that with women having several children during their life time, the end result was that she spent only about half (1/2) her reproductive years menstruating.

But in more modern times, women are starting to menstruate sooner, delaying marriage, delaying the start of a family, and limiting the number of children she's having. The end result was that modern women (those not on forms of BC that halt menstruation) were spending most (as much as 90+%) of their reproductive years menstruating. Studies have suggested that the modern rise in things like uterine cancer are caused in part by the fact that modern women are spending a larger percent of their reproductive years menstruating.

So the idea goes that by using a period-halting form of BC, you're causing your body to better mimic the closer to spending only half their reproductive years menstruating.

As for a specific form of BC, I would suggest you at least research Mirena. It's an IUD, but it also includes very low dose of hormones. In part, the idea is that rather than taking a pill where the hormone has to be evenly distributed through your body to reach the reproductive tract and be effective down there... the Mirena is releasing the hormones at the reproductive tract so you don't need as much to be effective. Of course Mirena isn't for everyone so you would have to research it and talk to your doctor. But I can tell you that for most women, after giving your body a few months to adjust, their periods simply halt for the 5 year effective life of Mirena... unless they get it removed sooner, or replace it in 5 years and continue period free lives.

shelb
07-18-2014, 01:06
Yeah, I've always just used pads, so the diva cup is something I'm leery about! But curious too! Especially if it would make life easier for me!! :)
I'm a country girl, so not much grosses me out. :P Gotta do whatcha gotta do! :)

Change is hard! Just look at how most people park at the grocery store (same area), kids side at same table in cafeteria, or many of us structure our daily activities!

My friend tried the Diva Cup for one hike - yes, there is a bit of a learning curve (just like tampons!); however, she is so determined that is the way to go, that she swears that is the only thing she will offer her daughter (now five years old) when she gets to that point.

We are creatures of habit. Consider moving outside of the comfort zone!

WaxQueen
07-21-2014, 15:24
I rather like to keep things totally natural HooKooDooKu, so I don't think I'd ever take BC unless things were really out of whack and I couldn't find a natural source to correct it(herbs have done me well so far!). And I'm not so worried about dealing with periods on the trail anymore. I think I got it figured out.. Haha! :P :)

Interesting about the difference between pregnant/breastfeeding mothers and those who aren't though!! I come from a large family (11 kids!) and I know my mother is one of those women. She's spent nearly half her life pregnant, which, I think can be really healthy for the body, I've read a lot of things about breast cancer are less likely for those who breastfeed, etc, etc, but pregnancy can really be hard on the body too. Nutrition is EXTREMELY important before/during pregnancy as well as during breastfeeding I think. So much goes into growing that baby and feeding he/she well!! So I think theres a balance. And I suppose each women is different in whats actually healthy for her. Interesting stuff though!!! :)

Change IS hard shelb!!!! And I always feel so inspired when I consider CHANGE!!!! But I'm still not sure the diva cup is for me.. Haha! Change takes me a lot of careful thought... :P

QHShowoman
07-22-2014, 07:16
It's a damn shame when a woman can't ask a question in the Women's Forum without being lectured/berated/or made to feel stupid by a man.

Agreed.

Forums like this exist for the purpose of asking questions. It's part of what makes WB such an invaluable resource. There are a gazillion newbie questions asked (and re-asked) here on a regular basis. If we shut down each question with a retort like "go read a book" or "do your own research," there'd be little merit in having such a forum to begin with.

hellokiddo
07-22-2014, 22:47
Big Diva Cup fan here :) I swear, I don't know how I survived menstruating without it.

squeezebox
07-23-2014, 01:15
Makes me wonder what women did for all the millenia before disposable pads.
I have a friend who's into civil war stuff. makes her own clothes, the knickers/underwear she makes are too loose to hold a pad in place,
I plan on bringing along the bottom half of a 1/2 gallon milk jug for washing out stuff, inc. personal hygiene.
Washing my feet every morning and evening would be a good thing to do, but that's a different post.

HooKooDooKu
07-23-2014, 02:04
To the extent that you can believe wiki.answers (http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_did_women_handle_the_menstruation_in_ancient_a nd_medieval_times), tampons are NOT a modern invention.

Demeter
07-28-2014, 21:06
Here's something to consider... using a period-halting form of BC causes your body to operate a bit more like the way it was designed for...

As for a specific form of BC, I would suggest you at least research Mirena.....

Great response. I think your summary is spot on, especially with breast cancer risk assessment.

Being an obstetric nurse, just want to mention Mirena (IUD) is contraindicated for someone who doesn't already have at least one living child; the risk of uterine damage preventing any future pregnancy is very minimal (i.e. scarring or uterine puncture), but it could happen. No medical procedure is without risks, even a simple blood draw :)

Angie J Romans
08-11-2014, 16:41
For any info, you can easily ask google. Thats what I did to begin my research and then if I need to clarify somethings I ask. As for pads/tampons. I've read a lot about a variety of options including a diva cup and a sponge....but I think I am going to keep it simple and use tampons. I would take caution re-using anything, and that just personally grosses me out....

KillerKarma
08-13-2014, 12:13
I'm also a happy Diva Cup user for about 2 years now. I had no trouble getting used to it, but I'm pretty comfortable with my body and do not get grossed out easily. My sister on the other hand has asked me about is several times and can't get past the method of insertion without freaking out.

It's all about what makes you comfortable. Chances are you're already a little uncomfortable at that time of the month anyway, so being confident and comfortable with your chosen method is super important. If you're planning to switch to something new, start a few months (at least) before your hike to make sure you can use whatever you decide on out in the woods.

I've used my DC while hiking, camping, at music festivals, and when I'm home too. Personally, I switched for environmental reasons as well as health ones. My philosophy is to keep an open mind, try new things, but stick with what works...even if in the end it's what you started out with.

Dogtra
08-14-2014, 18:08
I used tampons instead, with a light panty liner.

This was my system as well and will be again next time.

naperica
09-06-2014, 10:50
I hear so many positives about the diva cup (or the like) that I might just try it out sometime. I have always been so hesitant for the fear of not having it function properly. It will definitely save money from the organic cotton ones I buy.
Thank you all for your insight.

Dogtra
09-09-2014, 17:41
After further reflection I've decided to try the Diva Cup.
Just wanted to thank you ladies for introducing it to me as I'd never heard of it before.
Thank you.

nonameslob
09-24-2014, 14:47
^^^ Good luck! I was just about to post another +1 for the Diva Cup when I saw your final post that you're trying it. Yay! I hope you love it as much as I do.

I've never had to use it while hiking (I got an IUD abuot a year ago and don't get much of a period anymore, but I do carry it just in case), but I used it while camping and at festivals in the past very successfully. As long as you have some TP and soap, you'll do just fine.

virginia jen
10-04-2014, 00:11
I've been using a divacup & light weight reusable liner pads from new moon pads. Have used this combo for two years now. 1300 miles into my sobo thru it's worked well on the trail. Two pads & divacup weight only 1.65 oz.

SoniaButton
01-03-2015, 13:30
You can also look into the Diva cup.

Steep learning curve for a couple of months but I find it worth it!

Diva Cup ALL THE WAY! It was a little...different the first period I used it for. That's because it is different, but you get used to it quickly. I've been using mine for over a year now, and I cannot imagine ever going back to tampons or even pads for that manner. I highly recommend trying it out. I've used it for many short and long excursions. No trash, just used your cooking device to boil some water to clean it out when needed. It's also very light.

SoniaButton
01-03-2015, 13:31
After further reflection I've decided to try the Diva Cup.
Just wanted to thank you ladies for introducing it to me as I'd never heard of it before.
Thank you.

Whoops, didn't read this before my last post. Yay, hope it's going well.

2dogs1girl
01-23-2015, 12:29
So I have been using a DivaCup for a couple years now and I am still trying to figure out how to use it on a thru-hike. Say you are out on the trail with no town near and it is full. What would be the most LNT method of cleaning it? Dig a hole and bury the contents and use a wipey to clean it out in order to reuse it has been my best theory so far... Any other suggestions out there that I am not thinking of?

vega802
01-27-2015, 18:10
Just a thought, but the large amount of physical activity on a thru could naturally cause you to have a slightly lighter period than normal. I definitely experienced this on my Long Trail thru. While it doesn't help the technical aspects of dealing with menstruation on the trail, I can't deny that it was pretty awesome. There isn't really a solid way to know if this will happen to you on the trail, but none the less, its a nice perk to possibly look forward to :)

Hope you have a great hike!

hot_laundry
02-21-2015, 17:32
Have you used the Diva Cup on trail? That's my method of choice but how and where do you dump/rinse, since you can't pack out? If you don't mind me asking!

hot_laundry
02-21-2015, 17:34
Woops, just kidding, need to read to the end. I'm glad to read ladies who have experienced the DC while hiking. Yay!

oliviamariana
07-25-2015, 09:20
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this (or if you are comfortable doing it) but certain forms of birth control like implanon can eliminate periods. It lasts for 3 years though...