PDA

View Full Version : sleeping bag for GSMNP-Damascus

misterfloyd
05-24-2014, 17:54
Hello to all,

Just getting my final things together. I leave on the 12th of June.

All things are good to go but I have no sleeping bag. I have tried to find the weather for the various sections of the AT from the title. I have looked on NOAA and http://www.mountain-forecast.com/ and I'm having a hard time with the lows that are stated at the various mountains.

I got rid of my Marmot Cloudburst and have not replaced it. I would like to save the cash little by little and get a good down bag that is rated 15 degrees or lower so I may replace my kelty Cosmic down 0. One bag. I cannot afford 2 or 3.

Would a bag rated at 40 degrees work for the elevation. I rather get something on the cheap, save my nickles and dimes and get something I really would like. I really don't have the money for a really good one at the moment.

I have learned that EN ratings are a guideline. I have turned into a cold sleeper, used to be a blast furnace.

Any suggestions for that section, in that time of year, is greatly appreciated.

I know the last thing we need is another discussion of sleeping bags........

All is helpful and certainly appreciated.

Best Regards
Floyd

moytoy
05-25-2014, 08:07
You can get by in the GSMNP with a 40 degree bag in mid summer. Maybe even a little warmer that 40 degrees. But here is my take on sleeping bags. If I get chilled for some reason, whether it's because I got wet or it's just a little cool snap I want something that will warm me up when I get in it. So I carry a 20 degree down bag almost all the time. I like a rectangular bag so I can just throw off the top if I get too warm. MY bag is an old Campmor (not sold anymore) and was only about $100. I would actually rate it at about 30 degrees. I think Kelty sells a similar bag now.

misterfloyd
05-25-2014, 09:51
Thanks Moy,

I have driven through GSMNP but ever hiked there. I have a hard time believing temp forecasts.

I would rather have a bag that will keep me warm then to pack more clothes. I even trying to debate bringing a fleece. I understand about temps and altitude and how to adjust, but there is nothing better than hearing firsthand info.

I never experienced cold weather from Ga-Fontana dam. a 40 degree bag would have worked for me. A couple of times I slept on top of the bag in my tent- not in the shelters, which I primarily used.

I don't like sleeping cold hence the reason I ask as well as saving money for a really good bag. I just need something to get by with.

I appreciate all information, and have gleaned a LOT from all of your opinions over the past few years.

Thanks,
Floyd

daddytwosticks
05-25-2014, 12:59
I think I would be comfortable in a true 40 degree rated bag this time of year and I sleep cold. I'd still bring something like a 100 wt fleece and a hat or some sort of light jacket for the chilly times, like after a thunderstorm or to supplement the sleeping bag. :)

Kerosene
05-25-2014, 14:02
If it were me in your situation, I would go with a true 40-degree bag/quilt on that section for this time of year. I have a 35-degree mummy that I'd bring, but even that might be too much.