PDA

View Full Version : Inn to inn hiking in US or Canada

shorembo
05-24-2014, 20:40
I have been doing some AT hiking the past couple of years and am interested in doing a hiking vacation with my wife but with a little more civilization. In Europe there seem to be a number of 'inn to inn' options available like the Camino de Santiago or Hadrian's wall.

Before the expense of a European vacation, does anyone know of a route like that in the US or Canada?

Thanks for any info.

bamboo bob
05-24-2014, 20:54
The White Mountains have the Hut to Hut but the are most definitely not B&B quality although they do cost as much and the hiking is first rate.

fiddlehead
05-25-2014, 02:57
Yes, I understand Europe hikes like that.
I've hiked in Spain, France, Poland and Scotland.
We were about the ONLY ones sleeping in a tent.
American hikers tend to sleep in tents when they hike.
Towns are further apart I guess.

peakbagger
05-25-2014, 06:10
You may want to check out Maine Huts and Trails.

map man
05-25-2014, 08:41
You might want to look at this recent thread:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?103815-Inn-to-Inn-Section-Hike

StubbleJumper
05-25-2014, 08:57
It's a little bit spendy, but you can get a list of B&Bs along the Bruce Trail in Ontario, which is about 500 miles long from Niagara Falls to Tobermory. However, you'd probably need to budget CAD$75-100 per night for a room, which adds up pretty quickly.

In contrast, if you hike the GR10 through the French Pyrenees or the GR11 through the Spanish Pyrenees, you'd typically pay about 16 euros per night for a bunk and 6 or 8 euros for breakfast. The lower cost accommodations over the course of an end-to-end hike would more than offset the cost of a trans-Atlantic flight.

shorembo
05-26-2014, 12:19
Thanks for the posts. Maybe you are right StubbleJumper. The cost of the airplane ride might make up for the price difference.