PDA

View Full Version : Keen's Grip

Nick P
05-25-2014, 15:53
Can anyone share their experiences with Keen shoes and soles in New England?

I was planning on starting my SOBO (in 30 days...WOOT!) with their Voyagers low-cut, but their vibram-ish and "rubbery" soles seem prone to slip on wet surfaces. I love them otherwise. I am reading "Skywalkers" book and he talks of the grip of his Vasques being a major asset in the Whites, so I wonder if I shouldn't switch to my Salomons.

Thanks for the last-minute gear tweak.

Nick

bamboo bob
05-25-2014, 15:59
I did about 500 miles on an AT SOBO with Keen Sandals. I had no problems with traction but I did wear socks and they got pretty grubby and full of dirt, etc. No blisters. I got sick of the dirt accumulation and went back to runners. I had previously hiked in Bite Sandals for a number of trips where swamp was an issue. I'll stick to runners now.

brian039
05-25-2014, 17:27
Keen's saved my butt on the PCT when my foot grew a size wider but I would feel better with something with better grip in the White's.

misterfloyd
05-25-2014, 18:27
Hi Nick,

Never tried keens in the whites, but in GA and NC. I used to love thier fit but I fell on my but a lot. Not much for traction.

I will say, if my feet could of delt with it, I would of worn them again. Comfortable........

Floyd

Nick P
05-26-2014, 14:38
I did about 500 miles on an AT SOBO with Keen Sandals. I had no problems with traction but I did wear socks and they got pretty grubby and full of dirt, etc. No blisters. I got sick of the dirt accumulation and went back to runners. I had previously hiked in Bite Sandals for a number of trips where swamp was an issue. I'll stick to runners now.

Thanks for the word; they seem to use the same sole on most of their product line, so this is positive news.

Nick P
05-26-2014, 14:40
Hi Nick,

Never tried keens in the whites, but in GA and NC. I used to love thier fit but I fell on my but a lot. Not much for traction.

I will say, if my feet could of delt with it, I would of worn them again. Comfortable........

Floyd

Thanks Floyd; this convinces me. I think I will keep them in reserve until after NH.

Nick P
05-26-2014, 14:45
Hi Nick,

Not much for traction.

Floyd

Agreed; they are nice and wide, and dry fast, but Skywalker's account of the Whites freaked me out, and I have had traction issues in AL and GA!

Nick P
05-26-2014, 14:47
Keen's saved my butt on the PCT when my foot grew a size wider but I would feel better with something with better grip in the White's.

Thanks for the confirmation. I thought that they'd give me more sole support and cushioning than my Salomons, but not falling on my arse has to be top priority.

Gray Bear
05-28-2014, 11:43
I never had an issue with grip. Mine were comfortable right out of the box but the adhesive on the sole failed after 8 hikes. As for grip on wet Granite nothing I've ever tried comes close to the Vibram green dot they use on the Limmers (if you have $370 and a year to break in a pair of boots)