PDA

View Full Version : Mt Washington South

mmais68569
05-25-2014, 16:13
I know this is way early to start planning for 2015 but Iam. I plan to hike Mt Washington south to the northern state line of Penn. My question is:
My wife has never been in this area of the country & wants to go with me.(she will not hike) In the Whites is there any way she can get to the huts to spend the nights with me?

Thanks Mike (Mr. Mean)

Deadeye
05-25-2014, 16:50
Not without hiking! However, Zealand Falls hut is little more than a road walk with a few flights of stairs at the end, do-able by professional couch potatoes.

mmais68569
05-25-2014, 17:18
Did not mean she would not hike not up to a day hike. She would go 2-3 easy miles from trailhead to hut.

Mike ( Mr. Mean)

ChinMusic
05-25-2014, 17:25
Lonesome Lake Hut is a good choice for a minor hike, million-dollar views of Franconia Ridge. You could start your trek with a very short day to Lake of the Clouds. She could hike back to Mt Washington in the morning. The only variable in that, and it is a BIG variable, is the weather. It can get nasty quickly. If she is timid, that section could scare her as a solo.

rafe
05-25-2014, 17:32
Not without hiking! However, Zealand Falls hut is little more than a road walk with a few flights of stairs at the end, do-able by professional couch potatoes.

Agree. Zealand probably requires the least climbing. Lonesome Lake would be the next-easiest.

peakbagger
05-25-2014, 19:32
Lake of the Clouds (aka Lake of the Crowds) can be accessed from the summit of Mt Washington. But its a rocky hike and about 1000 feet of elevation back up the mountain. Highland Center is slightly off the trail but is a full scale resort hotel. Lonesome and Zealand are both fairly easy walks, well graded. Both get a lot of family groups

Please note except for Highland Center, these are not high end resort huts, they all have group bunkrooms, no running hot water, in general not a lot of privacy.

magneto
05-26-2014, 06:00
But they will have plenty of mice to keep you company and take care of any extra food you don't need - or even food you do need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeffmeh
05-26-2014, 07:01
Mizpah Springs Hut is a fairly easy (for the Whites) 2.6 mi. hike in.