PDA

View Full Version : Best AT map of the Smokies

Grunt
05-25-2014, 21:38
I'm preparing for an Oct section-hike thru the Smokies and want a hard map for the fun and enjoyment of one... I realize they are not really necessary but like using them anyway. I can get a NatGeo one on Amazon of 10 bucks but was wondering if I might have other choices available without having to buy a whole series. While I'm looking for advice.... how does the first week in Oct sound for a hike of the Smokies?

TNhiker
05-25-2014, 22:22
The dollar map will suit ya just fine...

it doesn't show elevation though...

october is nice in smokies but it can get quite busy as it will be leaf season...

Airmed802
05-26-2014, 15:13
I used the Nat Geo map. I copied, enlarged, and laminated the map section I needed. Worked well for me.

Grunt
05-26-2014, 22:10
Thanks all

Gambit McCrae
05-27-2014, 15:04
Pocket maps work great if you are staying on the AT, small light and helpful way points. If you want to wonder thru the park the Nat geo maps are very helpful. Other than that, the signs provided along the way are fine if you get and conserve water.

bigcranky
05-27-2014, 15:36
I like the National Geo map. Lots of detail, and I just like maps.

FarmerChef
05-27-2014, 15:50
+1 for the Nat Geo map as well. Just hiked the Smokies this past weekend and didn't use the map but it was nice knowing it was there if we needed it. The trail is very well marked at intersections with the AT clearly labeled, though blazing is somewhat minimal in certain sections.

rocketsocks
05-27-2014, 19:05
I like the National Geo map. Lots of detail, and I just like maps.
I'm with you Big Cranky, I can get lost in a Nat geo map of the Smokies...and then quickly find a route to another adventure all with in the confines of me confines.

HooKooDooKu
05-27-2014, 21:57
What is your intended purpose for the map? (To know what the hills are like ahead?... To track how much farther you have to go?... etc)
As for the 1st week in October... the cool to cold weather should be great for hiking the hills. Just know that you've got to be ready for temperature below freezing (with cold snaps possibly pushing lower... or an Indian summer keeping night time lows around 40-50)..
If timing is flexible, you might want to delay a week or even better... two. Leaves only start to change at the upper elevations the first of October and slowly work their way down the mountains until the end of October. If you hike the 1st week of October, you're likely to only see some leaf color at the highest elevations with the valleys still being pure green. But if you wait until about the third week, the leaves will be beyond their peak at the upper most elevations, but they should be at their peak at the mid to lower elevations... what you see the most of when you're on top of a mountain looking down into a valley. (You might even have more views with leaves off the trees at the upper most elevations)

Also keep in mind, because of the leaves changing in October, that is the busiest time for visitors in the Smokies.

slbirdnerd
05-28-2014, 11:50
+1 for the Nat Geo map of the park.

Trance
05-28-2014, 15:23
Just print a map from the internet..... or even the national park website.

If it's elevation you're worried about.... dont be. You're going to go up and down regardless. Why even bother thinking about it. Always water sources by any shelter in the back country as well..... and even a bunch along the trail by Newfound Gap and other places.

TNhiker
05-28-2014, 15:27
here's the dollar map.....

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/upload/trail-map_JULY13-full.pdf

madgoat
05-28-2014, 16:40
Get the dollar map, or print out a paper copy of the pdf. You should be able to find an elevation profile online somewhere that you can print out as well if you are really interested in that detail. Otherwise, trails go up to peaks and down to gaps. The rest is just details.

I prefer to have a local map printout of where I am hiking. Then I keep a full park map on my phone in pdf form.

HooKooDooKu
05-28-2014, 16:41
And here's where you can find a pretty good Elevation profile:
http://tnlandforms.us/at/gsmnpat.html