PDA

View Full Version : I did it !

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
05-26-2014, 00:22
Had a great hike today!! The first since I broke my wrist. Had to come down to Va to look at a place to rent when we get back from our current job. Couldn't see rental til Monday so wanted to get something in while I was hanging out so hustled up to Humpback Rock, neon green cast and all. Made to the top in about an hour and that included spending around 10 minutes encouraging a young hiker not to quit so close to the top (maybe 1000 yards) He was about 11 and apparently was a little intimidated by a scramble up some rocks. It took him a little bit but he finally dug in and made it to the top. Even climbed some places up top I wouldn't go near. Forcing myself to move closer to the edge of drops to overcome my fears. After humpback took the southern route back down to follow the AT a short bit. Got nervous after a while because I knew it was supposed to go from white to blue. Took a little longer than I thought but finally came to it. Meet a nice section hiker goes by the trail name Sparky and has a son with trail name Blisters. Had a very nice talk. Did much better than the eventful West Mountain that resulted in getting my cast . Hydrated and ate well before leaving. Hydrated along the way . Rested as often as I needed. Didn't try to carry full pack but carried camera pack which is about 12-15 lbs with water loaded. Next weekend hopefully a 2 nighter and some good hiking on Saturday. The only thing that could top that would be getting the place I want to rent while I wait to go on my walk. A place off the BRP to work on my mountain legs and lungs - what could be better !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn Yankee
05-26-2014, 08:07
Are you still in the area? I don't live to far from Rockfish Gap and would love to do a couple nights with someone.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
05-26-2014, 10:22
Headed back to NY tonight DY but I'll be back at the end of June and if everything pans out will be renting at wintergreen ski resort until I leave for the trail come next March. Even if it doesn't will still be close by and would love to get in some hiking and overnighters. Will be sure to keep you up to date.

Damn Yankee
05-26-2014, 12:19
Sounds great. Wintergreen is an awesome place

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
06-09-2014, 09:15
8 months from today should find me at Springer Mountain. I feel I can hardly stand the wait.

Ricky&Jack
06-09-2014, 10:51
8 months from today should find me at Springer Mountain. I feel I can hardly stand the wait.

You plan to leave in february? Good luck. I live 60mi from springer and we had a helluva freeze with some terrible snow (it was only 1inch but we werent ready for it) in April this year. February wasnt a great month either.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
06-09-2014, 11:10
Darn!! See how anxious I am to get going R&J. Actually leaving for Springer March 9th right after the Kick-Off. So I guess it is actually 9 months. Darn!!

Venchka
06-09-2014, 12:01
Darn!! See how anxious I am to get going R&J. Actually leaving for Springer March 9th right after the Kick-Off. So I guess it is actually 9 months. Darn!!

Good luck! Be prepared for WINTER through April. Not I wish it to happen to you, but winter is always a possibility up high. May can have cold, wet periods as well.

Wayne

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
06-09-2014, 14:28
Thx V. I am preparing for dealing with wintery type weather. If it is really bad I am fortunate enough to be able to be flexible and put off leaving for a couple if weeks if that seems more prudent. But right now March 9th is the date.