PDA

View Full Version : Warm Weather Clothes

mibrahim
05-26-2014, 07:06
I've only been backpacking/hiking in the fall and winter months as I love cold weather hiking. The reason I do is because I sweat a lot and hate being hot. I am going to start backpacking/hiking in Spring and Summer and wanted some opinions on what kind of hiking clothing I should wear when it's above 70 degrees during the day and around the 50s and 60s at night. Again, I sweat a lot, so I want to make sure that whatever I wear it will be comfortable, cool and won't stink after a day or two. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

rocketsocks
05-26-2014, 07:33
What your lookin for is evaporative cooling, this can be achieved with poly, wool, or cotton. Experimenting will tell you which one is for you. Wool stinks less than poly or cotton, but cost significantly more money. Many of the Polly's are sold with a silver something or other which is supposed to help with stentch. Wetting a cotton T-shirt on a scoarher day is nice, till you get that little humid layer zapping your strength...hope this helps.

Coffee
05-26-2014, 07:38
If your budget allows for it, I would suggest the Smartwool microweight 150 shirts, particularly the long sleeve zip neck which provides both sun protection and controlled ventilation depending on conditions. Try to get a light color. Often you can find this shirt on sale but many times the color on sale is dark.

mibrahim
05-26-2014, 09:54
I love Merino wool in colder weather, but how does it work when it's hot out? Wouldn't it be too hot for me? Would I only wear a long sleeve Merino wool shirt or use that as a base under say a buttoned hiking shirt? What about pants? Shorts or Convertible pants? Would I also wear merino wool bottoms underneath or not?

Coffee
05-26-2014, 10:43
I find the smartwool microweight comfortable in warm weather but I'm sure this is an individual preference thing... I use it as my only layer in warm weather. I like the REI convertible pants. I do have smartwool long underwear bottoms as well but that's only a sleep layer.

daddytwosticks
05-26-2014, 14:29
I wear a pair of the north face hiking shorts with built-in mesh. Keeps Richard and the Boys cool. These shorts (especially the liners) do pick up a funk quickly. During the warmer months while hiking, I try to rinse them out on occasion. This helps somewhat. Also, can't stress enough to clean up daily "down there". Some wipes and some medicated powder keep things from getting bad. I wear a very lightweight short sleeve t-shirt made from wicking material. It stinks after a few hours, but so does everybody else. As with the shorts, just rinse it out on occasion. Trying to keep somewhat clean by using the wet wipes, a wet bandana, and medicated powder does make a world of difference in the warmer months. The salt buildup from your sweat can really make you miserable and ruin a hike quickly. :)

Odd Man Out
05-26-2014, 20:34
I like my Kuhl Kontra pants. They are a cotton/polyester blend. I prefer long pants. If they are good at wicking perspiration they can help with evaporative cooling. They can keep you cooler by blocking the sun and protect from bugs and bushes.

Mags
05-26-2014, 22:36
I love my button down, poly-cotton thrift-store shirt. I have been hiking in a short sleeve one for day hikes in the past year or so. Actually prefer it to my tech t-shirts.

Excellent ventilation, dries quickly and is comfortable.

I have been using the long sleeve version for backpacking for quite some time now (more for the sun protection at higher elevation).

Odd Man Out
05-26-2014, 23:53
I love my button down, poly-cotton thrift-store shirt. I have been hiking in a short sleeve one for day hikes in the past year or so. Actually prefer it to my tech t-shirts. ...

Me too. I find the knitted t-shirts too clingy compared to woven fabrics. I have an old Royal Robbins Desert Pucker shirt (rayon/poly) I love. It's too worn out to wear to work so it's been "promoted" to a hiking shirt.

squeezebox
05-27-2014, 05:42
try wearing a skirt.