PDA

View Full Version : how do you store dehydrated food ?

misterfloyd
05-26-2014, 15:43
Hello to all,

Well, a few more weeks and I will be on the trail. I have been dehydrating beans, and making Jerky with my oven. Having a gas, no pun intended :)

My question is how do you store it. I have been putting it in a ziplock container, and putting the bean in the freezer. They will stay there with my breakfast bars that I made until I leave or a few days out to send them ahead.

I know the preferable method is to heat seal them, but I don't have the money for that. I have looked on trailcooking.com and they also say to ziplock them.

If anyone could share their experience with me I would certainly appreciate it!!! Any and all answers are appreciated.

Best,
Floyd

daddytwosticks
05-26-2014, 16:15
Same as you do. I also divide up the two serving Mountain House freeze-dried meals into ziplock freezer bags and store them in the freezer until I'm ready to use. No issues yet. I just make sure to use up my home dried foods and commercial freeze dried foods within a few months or so. I'm still alive and healthy. :)

The Old Boot
05-26-2014, 17:24
I store all of my dehydrated foods in the deep freeze.

Partly because I have no cool, dry, dark storage area that's suitable for them anywhere else (the kitchen is anything but cool and dry) and partly to extend the shelf life. I had so many little ziplocks running around that I now group them into gallon zip-locks and have a cardboard box in one corner of the deep freeze that is devoted to camping foods. I inventoried them this past week and now have a list of what I'll need to do to make it through to fall.

I have a vacuum sealer but use it strictly for fresh meat when I buy it on sale in bulk.I found that the sealer plastic was too hard around the edge so it wouldn't pack nicely. The zip locks work just as well and the food remains squishy so it can be crammed into either the food bag or the bearvault.

misterfloyd
05-26-2014, 17:29
Thanks folks,

That is where mine is at right now, in the freezer. What concerns me is that I'm sending some ahead in supply boxes. They may have to sit a month. I don't have anyone here to send them as I need them, they all have to go out at once.

I have made certain they were dry as a bone.

Thanks again folks,
Floyd

Damn Yankee
05-26-2014, 17:40
If you remove the air from the ziplocks using a straw, you will get a pretty air tight package. If you need to, you can send it here, I will keep it in freezer and mail as needed. I will only need the drop address. Once you contact me and let me know what you want, I will ship for you.

Riocielo
05-27-2014, 03:32
Zip lock sells a very economical vacuum sealer. The starter kit -- bags and sealer-- is $10.67 online from Wally World.

My husband and daughter love to use theirs for all sorts of things.

fiddlehead
05-27-2014, 05:15
I wouldn't worry too much about it.
I once left (by mistake) a bunch of food in my pack for 6 months.
Even my dried hamburger was still OK.
But, it is probably true that for the veggies, they were a little less tasty.
I usually always don't dry things completely.
The more you dry them, the less taste they have. (and I guess the longer you store them)
When I do bananas, I really like to keep them soft.

But, most people say freezer is best.
How to compare???

slbirdnerd
05-27-2014, 12:45
I recently started dehydrating too--like a few weeks ago, for my trip next week. Shipped my boxes this morning! :) I just packed all my meals in Ziplock freezer bags but didn't freeze them. I think with the short duration everything will be okay. Had it been hotter here I would have probably put them in the freezer but again, such a short time probably not a problem.

I did just pick up a Food Saver for $80 at Meijer, the smaller version. I didn't use it for all my meals this time but if I prep food this winter for next year I will. I also got it because I just put in a big veggie garden. For this trip, I did vac seal my tortilla shells and pita breads. Thing works great, love it so far!

misterfloyd
05-27-2014, 21:10
Damn Yankee,

That is a very generous offer, a damn generous offer, I certainly appreciate it! I will try the straw trick that you suggested, it sounds interesting. I will take my chances with the beans, which are in the freezer right now.

The beef jerky is in a bag in the frig. I think they need to be dehydrated some more. I forgot our oven has a convection mode which circulates the air, which may negate me having the door proped open with a wooden spoon.

With the breakfast bars, which I made that are not dehydrated, I will have to take my chances. I'm going to have to get a dehydrater...... think I could find one at a goodwill or the like...... not now!!

Boxes go out at the last minute.

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions.

Best,
Floyd

slbirdnerd
05-28-2014, 11:55
Floyd--This is the dehydrator I just got and it is working great. It is $70.00.

http://www.nesco.com/products/Dehydrators/Dehydrators/FD-75PR-5-Tray-Snackmaster-Pro-Food-Dehydrator/session_56f94a2f50fc/

Have a fantastic hike! I think I am following you up the trail, think I started section hiking behind you last year. I'm leaving Saturday for a 2 week section.

misterfloyd
05-28-2014, 15:55
slbirdnerd,

Have a great hike !

I would be starting sooner except for my school district seems to want to drag out this year (yuck) Won't hit the trail until the 13th. I'm jonesing really hard :) :)

Thanks for sending the link. Next year.... I will be a dehydrating fool!!

Have a great hike!!
Floyd

QiWiz
05-28-2014, 17:00
I have been dehydrating beans, and making Jerky with my oven. My question is how do you store it. I have been putting it in a ziplock container, and putting the bean in the freezer. They will stay there with my breakfast bars that I made until I leave or a few days out to send them ahead. Floyd

I store them in the freezer until right before I need them. If you use ziplocks, I would try to squeeze as much air as possible out of the bags as they are being sealed up. Air is the enemy! Moisture too.