PDA

View Full Version : Hashbrown Potatoes

Tuckahoe
05-26-2014, 17:08
Wandering grocery aisles this afternoon and spotted these --

I'd not seen this product before, and thought that it might be of interest to someone here; especially someone who may not want to dehydrate their own. They're dried hashbrown potatoes packaged in a carton that is approximately 1 pint in size with 4 ounces of product. The intended use is to rehydrate with hot water in the carton, and then to fry in a skillet.

Company video -- http://hungryjackpotatoes.com/recipe-videos/

Damn Yankee
05-26-2014, 17:18
I used to work at Denny's and we used a similar product.

The Old Boot
05-26-2014, 17:18
Oh sure...show me another tasty easy to prepare food right after I've done my cross border shopping trip for the summer backcountry season!!

On my list for the next trip!!

bamboo bob
05-26-2014, 18:17
I doubt I would ever have a skillet.

Tuckahoe
05-26-2014, 19:31
I doubt I would ever have a skillet.

I don't carry one either, but I'm sure there are many ingenious individuals who can figure out how to use these hashbrowns with or without a skillet.

jimmyjam
05-26-2014, 19:38
rehydrate them in a ziplock while you hike, then wrap them in foil and heat them on a fire.

bigcranky
05-26-2014, 19:40
I would just simmer for a few minutes in water then cozy the pot for 10 or 15 minutes. Should work. Add a big squirt of butter or oil. The cheese would be my preference.

Need to try these.

Wise Old Owl
05-26-2014, 20:33
Well some lids are the skillet, when it comes to backpacking cookware... I like the premise, I think at 8oz dried it can be divided into 4 oz glad bags, and toss the container. boil water and stuff into cozy... drain and eat maybe add some butter buds or ghee*, forget the skillet! Make Bamboo Bob smile like there is no tomorrow!

*I haven't tried or tested this yet. It's an idea.

WingedMonkey
05-26-2014, 20:34
I use them. Best brand I have found.

For just me, I divide them in half at home. Make sure you do so equally, they have onion bits and flavorings powder than may settle to the bottom of carton.

Last time I used them I also carried the retort Libby corned beef.

And yes, I almost always have a fry pan lid.

Hungry Jack also puts out a Potato Pancake mix that is good. Has two paper/foil packs in a small box.

Wise Old Owl
05-26-2014, 20:37
Well some lids are the skillet, when it comes to backpacking cookware... I like the premise, I think at 8oz dried it can be divided into 4 oz glad bags, and toss the container. boil water and stuff into cozy... drain and eat maybe add some butter buds or ghee*, forget the skillet! Make Bamboo Bob smile like there is no tomorrow!

rehydrate them in a ziplock while you hike, then wrap them in foil and heat them on a fire.

yea might work but We are on board with the simplicity of freezer bag cooking.

Tuckahoe
05-26-2014, 20:51
I use them. Best brand I have found.

For just me, I divide them in half at home. Make sure you do so equally, they have onion bits and flavorings powder than may settle to the bottom of carton.

Last time I used them I also carried the retort Libby corned beef.

And yes, I almost always have a fry pan lid.

Hungry Jack also puts out a Potato Pancake mix that is good. Has two paper/foil packs in a small box.

WM, thanks for the great idea.

Wise Old Owl
05-26-2014, 20:53
I think dried slices of Spam might work in the bag too....

Rocket Jones
05-27-2014, 06:17
Odd that the cheesy version has less calories per serving than the plain.

daddytwosticks
05-27-2014, 07:08
Don't forget the ketchup! :)

Bronk
05-27-2014, 11:50
I use these at home...and they are great. But I will warn you that this little milk carton makes a LOT of potatoes. It will fill up your whole cook pot as they expand once you pour them out of the carton. I like my hash browns crispy, and I find it difficult to get them that way in a backpacking setup simply because of the volume of potatoes...you'll want to cook 1/3 to 1/2 carton at a time at most.

levibarry
05-27-2014, 13:11
I saw video on YouTube about someone taking them on a day hike.
She had added some other stuff to them but cooked it in
what looked like a .9L pot, looked really good.

BillyGr
05-27-2014, 15:16
I've found them hard to get crispy at home without them completely stuck to the pan (so that might be another issue for use on the trail). Of course when hiking you could use an extra large amount of oil which might help with the sticking (and add needed calories too).

FarmerChef
05-28-2014, 10:59
I've found them hard to get crispy at home without them completely stuck to the pan (so that might be another issue for use on the trail). Of course when hiking you could use an extra large amount of oil which might help with the sticking (and add needed calories too).

Ding. There's a winner! Extra oil in the bottom greatly helps in keeping them from sticky. Problem with OO is that it has a low smoke point so you'd want to carry veggie oil for this purpose. Now I've gotta go find these. Would have taken them in the smokies this past weekend if I'd seen them.

flyguync
06-14-2014, 00:15
Man, this is awesome, I love hash browns. What section of the grocery are they in, near the instant potatoes?

Tuckahoe
06-14-2014, 07:11
Yeah, same place as all the other instant mashed potato products.

July
06-14-2014, 09:28

yea might work but We are on board with the simplicity of freezer bag cooking.

A'int FBC grand! (I would also add a splash of sriracha,diced onion &garlic)

HooKooDooKu
06-14-2014, 09:34
I would just simmer for a few minutes in water then cozy the pot for 10 or 15 minutes. Should work. Add a big squirt of butter or oil. The cheese would be my preference.

Need to try these.

Realize that these are raw potatoes. The require about 15 minutes of soaking in warm water just to re-hydrate shredded raw potatoes.
Would a few minutes simmering and standing in a cozy realy manage to cook them?

Bronk
06-14-2014, 11:19
Realize that these are raw potatoes. The require about 15 minutes of soaking in warm water just to re-hydrate shredded raw potatoes.
Would a few minutes simmering and standing in a cozy realy manage to cook them?

The instructions on the box tell you to pour boiling water into the carton and close it up for 12 minutes before cooking them in a skillet. This rehydrates them. I believe they are already cooked and then dehydrated when you get them off the shelf at the grocery store. You are just rehydrating them and crisping them up.

Crash
06-14-2014, 22:52
I've used them by throwing it into a soup. Nice

squeezebox
06-14-2014, 23:04
Hungry Jack seems to make good stuff in general.
I watched the you tube
looks like mashed potatoes to me.
But calling them hash browns is a good way to get people to try fried mashed potatoes

HooKooDooKu
06-14-2014, 23:08
The instructions on the box tell you to pour boiling water into the carton and close it up for 12 minutes before cooking them in a skillet. This rehydrates them. I believe they are already cooked and then dehydrated when you get them off the shelf at the grocery store. You are just rehydrating them and crisping them up.
It just so happens that I found this exact same product and tried it at home about 2 days before this post was started.

First of all, you don't need 'boiling' water. The instructions say "at least 120".
Second of all, they seemed pretty raw to me once they were re-hydrated.

HooKooDooKu
06-14-2014, 23:09
Hungry Jack seems to make good stuff in general.
I watched the you tube
looks like mashed potatoes to me.
But calling them hash browns is a good way to get people to try fried mashed potatoes
No, they are hash browns... well, ok, they are finely grated potatoes. But they are NOT mash potatos.

Bronk
06-15-2014, 12:25
I don't carry a thermometer in my pack. But if you're going to take the temperature of the water just make sure you only soak them for 12 minutes as it says on the box, and not 15. Perhaps if you followed the directions they wouldn't taste raw when you were done cooking them.

mrcoffeect
06-15-2014, 13:26
i ve found for backpacking it helps to reduce the soak time by about 1/3 or in half, they hold their shape better for frying.

flyguync
06-17-2014, 17:15
I found these at my local store and tried them out this weekend, they were excellent. As another poster said, the package makes a surprising amount of potatoes once re-hydrated. In fact, the first store I went looking for them, I almost overlooked the package because it was so much smaller than I expected. Should pack really well though.

redzombie
06-18-2014, 23:49
flyguync, there is no link

Venchka
06-19-2014, 15:23
Wandering grocery aisles this afternoon and spotted these --

I'd not seen this product before, and thought that it might be of interest to someone here; especially someone who may not want to dehydrate their own. They're dried hashbrown potatoes packaged in a carton that is approximately 1 pint in size with 4 ounces of product. The intended use is to rehydrate with hot water in the carton, and then to fry in a skillet.

Company video -- http://hungryjackpotatoes.com/recipe-videos/

This is what we are talking about. Can't folks survive without links????????????? I just went to the grocery stre and found them on the same shelf with instant mashed potatoes. A link wouldn't work in the grocery store.

Wayne

Venchka
06-19-2014, 15:25
The carton is the same size that a half pint of whipping cream comes in.

Wayne