PDA

View Full Version : I need "base camp" advice.

Onica Hanby
05-26-2014, 20:40
My husband is currently NOBO (Daddy Long Legs) and since we are from the Pac NW and 6 months was a long time to be separated so the kids (four of them) and I have joined along on this adventure. We like to rent furnished homes somewhat central to the section they are in for a month. We pick him and his hiking buddy up on Saturday afternoon, they take their zero with us on Sunday and we drop them back off on the trail on Monday mornings. We were 1 week in Chattanooga, 6 weeks in Asheville, and are here in Roanoke until June 23rd...

I have no idea where our next stop should be. Since my husbands hiking buddy is from Mancheter, NH we have a free place to stay up there. We were thinking of doing the whole month of August in NH. Is that a good idea or should we do something else? Then we would go to The Cabin in Maine for September and help Bear and Honey out. But from June 23- Aug 1st I'm at a loss.

We could do 2 weeks in Harpers Ferry and then 2 weeks in Harrisonburg. Or another month somewhere. I usually post an ad on Craigslist with our budget and other things in the ISO housing section. It's worked well for us, but now I'm not sure which CL cities I should put our ad on.

Any insights?

Damn Yankee
05-26-2014, 20:52
If I'm not mistaken the trail goes somewhere near Elkton, VA. and you can most likely rent a place at Masanutten(not sure of the spelling) Resort which is fully furnished. It is actually in McGachysville, VA. Here is a link...

http://www.massresort.com/

TNhiker
05-26-2014, 20:55
What about renting a RV?

That would give you flexibility to pick your places along the way...

Onica Hanby
05-26-2014, 21:30
What about renting a RV?

That would give you flexibility to pick your places along the way...

It is cost prohibitive. It's cheaper to find a house than rent an RV.

Cookerhiker
05-26-2014, 21:41
...We could do 2 weeks in Harpers Ferry and then 2 weeks in Harrisonburg....

Did you mean Harrisburg, PA, not Harrisonburg, VA? If I'm following you, you're working your way north with him, so after Harpers Ferry comes Harrisburg.

If you're talking Southern PA (west of the Susquehanna River), then I'd look for houses in Shippensburg or Carlisle. Both are college towns and might have something available for you in the summer. Plus, they're both near I-81.

Onica Hanby
05-26-2014, 21:56
Yes, Harrisburg. Four kids and bedtime means a semi-frazzled mama. I will look into those towns, thanks.