PDA

View Full Version : The Gathering in NH - good for newbie backpacker?

CynJ
09-27-2005, 21:32
My husband and I were interested in driving up for the Gathering in Hanover - but is it a good place for newbies?

I understand there are some hands on clinics, etc - but are there equipment vendors there that you can try products and such?

Spirit Walker
09-27-2005, 21:44
There are some vendors, including the ATC store, but not that many. Some years there have been packs, tents, books and music, as well as the underwear guys (thermals, not thongs). The Gathering is worth attending if you enjoy learning about trails all over the world, if you want to meet a bunch of really good people, join in discussions about hiking and the trail, see slideshows of beautiful mountains, etc. There may be gear workshops as well - seems to me I remember bear bagging and hammock camping in years past. It is not just aimed at AT thruhiker wannabes, though that is the prime focus. If you have any interest in long distance hiking of any kind, you'll find something to do.

TJ aka Teej
09-27-2005, 23:25
My husband and I were interested in driving up for the Gathering in Hanover - but is it a good place for newbies?
You betcha! C'mon up, and be sure to make it to the workshop where this year's finishers and AT vets talk with and answer questions from 'dreamers'! There'll be gear vendors, for sure, always is. And the campground is always a cool show-and-tell for all sorts of tents, tarps, and hammocks. Hope to see you there!

RedneckRye
09-27-2005, 23:37
The brain part and the heart part are SO MUCH MORE IMPORTANT to a thru-hike than the gear part. Even if there were no gear at all at the Gathering, there is no better place for someone interested in long distance hiking to be on OCT 7-9. So come on up, meet people face to face, get inspired, get ideas, get a chance to talk to folks that finished there hike 2 days ago, get a chance to talk to folks that finished their hike 30 or 40 years ago.
And besides, even if you get up there and think it isn't worth your time, it's what - a 2 hour drive back to CT? I've driven that far for mexican food.
In addition to thermals, I'm pretty sure The Underwear Guys also sell thongs.

neighbor dave
09-28-2005, 05:28
me and chickety will be there too!!!:jump :clap :jump :clap

RedneckRye
09-28-2005, 08:31
Does anyone know if the showerhouse at the Stoor's Pond Camping area will be open during the weekend??

CynJ
09-28-2005, 09:12
hmmm...sounds great overall - but I have a hiccup. - our dog. I can't find anywhere to board her for the holiday weekend.

Is the Gathering dog friendly? (this is not kerosene to the flame if its really not a good idea then I will see what I can do - I know folks here have strong feelings about dogs)

Spirit Walker
09-28-2005, 09:24
No, no water at the campground this time. It is officially closed now, but they are opening it for camping just for the weekend. No early arrivals are allowed this year either, because the campground is closed. But it will be open on Friday.

Jack Tarlin
09-28-2005, 17:14
I first attended the Gathering in 1994, just before my first long-distance hike on the A.T. I had a GREAT time, met some wonderful folks, and learned a good deal. I'd advise ANY prospective long-distance hiker to attend, especially if they think there might be a thru-hike in their future. The Gathering is a perfect opportunity to meet a lot of Trail folk, learn all sorts of useful things, and have a great time in the process. Incidentally, the Gathering isn't just concerned with the A.T. There are all sorts of lectures and slideshows on just about every significant long-distance Trail in America, in addition to presentations on all sorts of other subjects.

In re. to what Spirit Walker just posted, Storrs campground will indeed be closed til Friday. Here in Hanover, I'm already expecting some of the A.T. Class of '06 who arrive in town early to camp/stay at our place just outside of town til they can re-locate to Storrs. Any Whiteblaze folk who similarly think they might arrive in town early and ndeed a place to stay are welcome to do likewise.

These folks may contact me (baltimorejack at hotmail dot com) for driving directions, etc. We expect to have quite a few people Wednesday and certainly Thursday, so if you think you might get to town too early for Storrs
Campground, by all means get in touch.

Rainman
09-28-2005, 17:23
The Gathering is definitely for "dreamers." I went last year and learned an awful lot. I especially enjoyed the conversation session with that year's class of thru hikers. Warren Doyle usually gives a talk for dreamers. He suggested last year that hiking The Long Trail in Vermont is a good first step into long distance hiking. I followed that advice and had a blast last summer on the LT.

Meeting the people is the best part of the weekend. Definitely come.

DebW
09-28-2005, 20:58
hmmm...sounds great overall - but I have a hiccup. - our dog. I can't find anywhere to board her for the holiday weekend.

Is the Gathering dog friendly? (this is not kerosene to the flame if its really not a good idea then I will see what I can do - I know folks here have strong feelings about dogs)

The campground seemed to be dog friendly. Two years ago a couple IAT SOBOs stopped in with two dogs. Maybe they had to find dog sitters while attending workshops, but otherwise the dogs and hikers enjoyed the campground.