PDA

View Full Version : "Planned" Hiking Schedule

SouthernHiker
05-27-2014, 09:18
I've been trying to plan my hike from Springer to Clingmans in June. I realize that a plan is only as good as the paper it is typed on, but I figured I'd at least have some general ideas on where I hope to be. As an out of shape hiker, what are the thoughts on the "schedule" below (and yes I understand it is all subject to millions of factors changing it)? Too slow, too fast? Areas that I may want to slow down or speed up?

Day 1 :Amicalola Falls to Hike Inn
Day 2 Hike Inn to Stover Creek Shelter (6 miles)
Day 3To Hawk Mountain Shelter (5.3 miles)

Potential side trip to Lost Creek Falls

Day 4- Hawk Mountain to Gooch Mountain Shelter (7.7 miles)
Day 5 - Gooch Mountain to Lance Creek Campground (8.5 miles)
Day 6 - Lance Creek Campground to Neel’s Gap Store Hostel (7.4 miles)

RESUPPLY

Day 7 -Neel’s Gap to Whitey gap (6.7 miles)
Day 8 - Whitey Gap Shelter to Poplar Stamp campsite (6.2 miles)
Day 9 - Poplar Stamp to Helen (8.3 miles)
Day 10 - Zero Day in Helen, Georgia

RESUPPLY

Day 11 – Helen, GA to Tray Mountain Shelter ( 5.7 miles)
Day 12 - Tray Mountain Shelter to Hiawassee (11 miles)
Day 13 - Zero Day to raft in Hiawassee

RESUPPLY

Day 14 – Hiawasee to Bly Gap Camp (9 miles)

Cross into North Carolina

Day 15 - Bly Gap Camp to Beech Gap (12.1 miles)
Day 16 – Beech Gap to Long Branch Shelter (11.8 miles)
Day 17 – Long Branch Shelter to Franklin, NC (7.3 miles)
Day 18 – Franklin, NC to Wine Spring Camp (8.2 miles)
Day 19 Wine Spring Camp to Wesser Bald Shelter (13.4 miles)
Day 20 – Wesser Bald Shelter to NOC (5.7 miles)
-RESUPPLY
Day 21 – Rafting at NOC , NOC to Sassafras Gap Shelter (6.9 miles)
Day 22 – Sassafras Gap Shelter to Brown Fork Gap Shelter (9.1 miles)
Day 23 – Brown Fork gap Shelter to Fontana Dam (11.6 miles)
Day 24 - Resupply at Fontana Dam, Fontana Dam to Mollies Ridge Shelter ( 12.1 miles)
Day 25 Mollies Ridge Shelter to Derrick Knob Shelter (12 miles)
Day 26 – Derrick Knob to Clingman’s Dome (10.1 miles)

canoe
05-27-2014, 09:23
definantly a well planned hike. Its your hike. Do it like you want. You could go to trail journal and read the hundreds of journals who have done this hike and compair notes. Everyone is differant but it would give you a good idea what everyone else is doing.

bigcranky
05-27-2014, 09:48
This is a good plan, in particular because you're not trying for huge miles right out of the gate. Depending on what kind of physical shape you are in right now, there are a couple of things I noted. This is assuming you are walking a fair amount right now, and don't have any serious physical limitations.

1. The hike from the Hike Inn to Hawk Mountain. You have this as two days, but that section from Springer to Hawk is relatively flat for Georgia and you may find you can do this in one day. Don't push, though, since the next day has some good climbs. Definitely plan to stop at the falls for a long break - beautiful spot.

2. For me, after the first 4 or 5 days on the trail, I start to get my trail legs. I would think that Neels Gap to Unicoi Gap (Helen) can be done in two days. The first day to Low Gap is a little tough, but then Low Gap to Unicoi is pretty easy.

3. After that your plan looks fine.

Have fun!

SouthernHiker
05-27-2014, 09:56
Thanks Big Cranky,

That's the kind of advice I'm looking for, and I was hoping I could trim off a day in a couple of spot. I will definetly alter Hawk Mountain Plans, and play Low Gap by ear ( I'll wait and see what kind of shape I'm in by then)

Spirit Walker
05-27-2014, 11:33
You are likely to be able to do somewhat better in terms of mileage than you expect. Days are very long in June. Unless the weather is really horrible, you aren't going to want to sit around camp for hours and hours. Even if you are only going a mile an hour, you will probably be able to hike 8-10 miles a day. Bring a tent and do some camping away from the shelters. Shelters are way over-rated.

Planning is good, plans are useless.

Old Grouse
05-27-2014, 11:38
As Helmuth von Moltke the Elder famously stated: "No plan survives contact with the enemy."

slbirdnerd
05-27-2014, 12:29
I think planning is a smart idea, especially for a section hike where you have limited time and have to plan your resources like shuttles, resupply, etc. It's also safe to leave some kind of general plan home with the family. I have a 2-week section planned in the same area also in June and have mine planned, however, with the absolute understanding that if it rains a lot, that will change; if I get blisters that will change; if things go really well, that will change; if I find people I like hiking with, that will change; if my gear fails, etc.... You just have to expect the unexpected and be flexible. Wouldn't mind hearing when you're starting if you want to PM me and I can share as well.

SouthernHiker
05-27-2014, 12:30
You are likely to be able to do somewhat better in terms of mileage than you expect. Days are very long in June. Unless the weather is really horrible, you aren't going to want to sit around camp for hours and hours. Even if you are only going a mile an hour, you will probably be able to hike 8-10 miles a day. Bring a tent and do some camping away from the shelters. Shelters are way over-rated.

I hope so. I'd love to do more, I'm mainly concerned with conditioning. I am bringing a tent. Are there good camping spots between the ones indicated in the companion?

bigcranky
05-27-2014, 15:04
Yes, you'll often find obvious camp sites in places between shelters. Sometimes they have water available (and those are usually marked in the trail guides.) We often like to stop at a shelter for dinner, refill water, take a long break, then walk for another hour or two before setting up camp. This works especially well in the summer with long days.

At first, though, you're probably better off setting up your tent near the shelters, as you'll find good tent sites, water, a privy (usually), and a picnic table for preparing food. These are convenient when you are starting out.

MuddyWaters
05-27-2014, 19:29

+1

Yep. This is a VERY slow plan. But there is nothing at all to keep you from going faster.
The value in planning is the education it provides, so you know how to adapt. And adapt you certainly will.

Keep it LIGHT, and you will enjoy yourself. Carry 50 lbs, and you probably wont.

Sarcasm the elf
05-27-2014, 19:50
I hope so. I'd love to do more, I'm mainly concerned with conditioning. I am bringing a tent. Are there good camping spots between the ones indicated in the companion?

There are plenty of good, legal, unmarked campsites in Southern Georgia. Personally I like to carry an extra water bladder (4-5 liters total capacity, I usually hike carrying 1-2 liters of water) that I fill up at night so that I can camp where I feel like it without worrying about being near a water source.

SouthernHiker
05-27-2014, 19:54
There are plenty of good, legal, unmarked campsites in Southern Georgia. Personally I like to carry an extra water bladder (4-5 liters total capacity, I usually hike carrying 1-2 liters of water) that I fill up at night so that I can camp where I feel like it without worrying about being near a water source.

Wife and I will be carying 5L in two bladders , plus 2 32 oz. Nalgenes worth of water. I'm hoping this will suffice with our water purifier. Especially with all the rain we've had this year in Georgia.