PDA

View Full Version : Keeping my dog warm?

ktest
05-27-2014, 11:58
I've started doing overnights in my hammock recently. Before, I shared a tent with my dog, but every day I woke up with intense back pains -- no way to happily power through. Hammocks save my back.

I set up a rectangle tarp (blue tarp -- don't judge. I'm still figuring all this out) with one edge against the ground to block wind and the other side relatively open. I woke up happy and pain-free. My pooch, who had been sleeping on a z-lite pad and blanket, woke up with a cold.

What can I do? She won't sleep under a blanket -- she gets up and circles to lay on top of it. Am I doomed to a tent?

Please don't just refer me to HammockForums. I can't post or message anyone on my account -- I guess it never activated but I don't have the option to do that.

Ricky&Jack
05-27-2014, 12:07
what kind of dog/weight?
what kind of hammock?

Ive only tent cammed with my 6mo old husky, so far. But I was researching getting a hammock. I know some of the better hammocks can hold 400lbs. If shes light enough, maybe she can sleep in it (with booties if you are worried about holes).

Even if she wont sleep under a blanket, laying against your body could help.

I have no experience at all in this. But I have been looking it up recently what to do, becuase I like the idea of a hammock for me, but I was worried about what to do with the dog.

Ive never used a z-lite pad. is it heavy? I was recommended to still use a type of pad to insulate the dog from the ground, if I dont let it in a hammock

ktest
05-27-2014, 14:00
She's a three-year-old 45 lb beagle / Australian shepherd mix. I swap back and forth between the Grand Trunk Nano and their Ultralite. If she were to join me, I would need to use the Ultralite -- the Nano is great but NARROW.

What kind of boots should I try? We gave Ruffwear GripTrex a try, but the sole is so stiff that she almost twisted her poor ankle. Most of the other ones I've seen either look like they wouldn't stay sole-down or just remind me of balloons.

Has anyone tried a dog jacket? I wonder if this would provide enough warmth. I don't want to experiment to find out and maybe just make her sick again.

ktest
05-27-2014, 14:04
The z-lite, by the way, weighs in at 14 oz full length (14 panels). I've cut mine into two 5/9 panel (and oz) pieces. She gets the smaller piece in the tent but the larger piece under my hammock -- she tends to stretch out on her side when she sleeps comfortably.

Gambit McCrae
05-27-2014, 15:01
Use a zlight pad and let her sleep ion the ground she is a dog

Paisley1985
05-28-2014, 08:30
"She is a dog". Wow, because dogs don't deserve to also sleep in safety and comfort. I am a Registered Veterinary Technician. I also backpack with my dog and she shares my tent. When she is very stinky - like the time she rolled in poop - she sleeps in the vestibule on top of a z-lite and my rain coat. Never directly on the ground overnight though - she has several times woken up shivering (a heavily coated Austrailian Shepard / Saint Bernard mix). Inside the tent she sleeps on a z-lite and often my puffy - even if she won't stay under it she gets the benefit of the extra insulation and warmth. We are working towards training her to sleep inside the hammock with me so I can ditch the tent weight. If you cannot get your dog into the hammock (45#s is not to big for that depending on your combined weight) and she has to sleep outside, then you need to provide her with adequate shelter and warmth. I would suggest training her to sleeping in a tarp shelter on a z-lite with a down puffy or part of a sleeping bag (find a cheap one, cut it up). In the warmer months the z-lite should be enough. Have a system in place to keep her near the hammock (a leash, or run for example) as well as a way to wake you up should she ever get into trouble with any animals (though unlikely) such as a warning bell etc.

Just because she is a dog, doesn't dismiss the fact that she needs a warm safe place to sleep at night, even on the trail.

Paisley1985
05-28-2014, 08:34
Also, in my tent on cold nights, she will snuggle inside my sleeping bag (she weighs on average 47#s). So the benefit of your extra body warmth int he hammock would be great.

Gambit McCrae
05-28-2014, 09:12
I have had my dog for 6 years, and he has packed (with a pack) over 700 miles of trail. At the end of the day, he is my best friend, but still a dog. In the summer he sleeps in the vestibule on a zlite. In the winter, He sleeps in the vestibule on a zlite, and small down blanket. In no way would I ever let him in my sleeping bag lol. He does just fine on his own in the vestibule. And he is "safe" there as well lol..

In the end, everyone thinks they know everything about certain subjects: Fishing, Guns, Religion, Politics, and their dogs lol...HYOH on and off the trail

ktest
05-28-2014, 13:10
Gambit: You seemed to have missed the bit where we tried just that and she got a cold. A sneezy, grumpy dog shouldn't be forced to hike any more than a sneezy, grumpy child, no matter how much they love the outdoors. Many dogs can generate enough of their own warmth, but mine, unfortunately, was bred with a coat that just isn't thick enough for chilly temps, which makes her kind of a weenie. So, many dogs are very much like children: by attaching them to us, we agree to provide for all the needs they cannot provide for themselves, including warmth when we bring them into a situation they wouldn't have chosen on their own.

Do you have any tips on getting her into the hammock for the first time? She's a very solid and short dog and doesn't always dig being picked up, and she's not especially cuddly. We'll give doubling up a shot but will probably have to sleep separately.

RED-DOG
05-28-2014, 13:16
Attach Velcro to your dogs blanket, wrap the blanket around the dog and a small sleeping pad would help alot but no i would not allow a dog inside a tent/hammock your dog will be just fine.

rocketsocks
05-28-2014, 13:32
Always wanted one of them little small display tents like you see at Dicks or Sears...if I had a small dog.

Paisley1985
05-28-2014, 16:56
Do you have any tips on getting her into the hammock for the first time? She's a very solid and short dog and doesn't always dig being picked up, and she's not especially cuddly. We'll give doubling up a shot but will probably have to sleep separately.

Is her weight a healthy one? First, make sure she isn't overweight (but obviously not too skinny), you can a vet evaluate you her if you aren't sure. Being in good weight will help her hiking and help you picking her up. If she is an athletic dog, you can just train her to jump right in using positive reinforcement. Or just pick her up. I suppose you could train her to some crazy elaborate pulley system, but that seems a bit much eh? :) Also, in regards to the sneezy-ness - it probably wouldn't hurt to have her evaluated by a vet to make sure she doesn't have any respiratory issues that could be giving her any trouble (if you haven't already).

All in all, getting her in there is doing to take time and positive training to teach her to *want* to get in the hammock. Do short training sessions to get her accustomed to the hammock, to being in it, to being in there with you, getting in with you and on her own. You can start with the hammock down lower than you would normally sleep in it and build up the height.

This is probably a good topic for a training video, my wheels are turning. I may set this scenario up this weekend with my own two dogs, do some short video training sessions and post them. It would be interesting to work on, and my dog needs to continue her own training anyway. I just pick her up though.

Likeapuma
05-28-2014, 19:58
I have no qualms about letting my dingo sleep with me., he sleeps in bed at home... I'm just concerned with the damage his nails might do to my hammock.

Would a light fleece blanket be enough to protect the hammock? Or do I have to lug in a thick wool blanket?

I kept him home on the few overnights I did last year, so he wasn't as trained as I'd like. This year he's ready & I really don't want to sleep on the ground lol.

gunner76
05-28-2014, 21:38
A super small kids tent and let the dog carry it.

Bhag
05-28-2014, 22:53
I have a dog of similar size and short doberman like hair, who also is a bit of a baby with the cold. While I only tent with him now, I have had him sleep under a hammock in the past. In the whites(in summer) he would chatter his teeth after I kicked him out from under the quilt to pack up in the mornings. I had REI ship a dog fleece to the next post office.

I would definitely try a dog coat with the z-lite. Only real way to keep the insulation on them through the night. This will have its limitations though, likely to work in summer and perhaps not at higher elevation. I would set my hammock real low, so that I was touching him. I also used a closed cell pad as my hammock under insulation. If it was a cold night I would just go to the ground with him.

BuckeyeBill
05-29-2014, 01:25
Give the dog a blanket to sleep on at home and train it that it is theirs.then bring the blanket with you hiking and where ever you put it they know that's where they are to sleep. this worked with every dog I ever owned, even outside dogs.

lemon b
05-29-2014, 01:40
Bet the pooch would love some backyard experimenting? My dogs were different in their needs.

Tron-Life
05-29-2014, 03:33
Also, try to acclimatize your dog to the cold a few weeks before the trip so he/she can gtoe in a thicker coat; though this applies more to winter camping but is still a good idea. We need to adjust to sleeping outside, so does your dog. If you can, try to gradually get your dog to sleep outside on a MILD night around 50ish degrees to start and try to go on walks in the cold and rain. By getting the dog used to those conditions at home first, you avoid them freaking out and being uncomfortable and they will be calmer on the trail, just like us.

Paws60
06-27-2014, 23:28
Get a small child tent at Bass Pro about 40"x40" and 1lb. For $19.95.

SouthMark
06-28-2014, 08:51
My dogs sleep on a foam pad (GG Nitelite pack back) under my hammock. In winter they wear a child's insulated vest to sleep in. Just put it on backwards, feet through the arm holes and zipper on their back. They are able to pee if necessary with it on.

Drybones
06-28-2014, 18:35
I've started doing overnights in my hammock recently. Before, I shared a tent with my dog, but every day I woke up with intense back pains -- no way to happily power through. Hammocks save my back.

I set up a rectangle tarp (blue tarp -- don't judge. I'm still figuring all this out) with one edge against the ground to block wind and the other side relatively open. I woke up happy and pain-free. My pooch, who had been sleeping on a z-lite pad and blanket, woke up with a cold.

What can I do? She won't sleep under a blanket -- she gets up and circles to lay on top of it. Am I doomed to a tent?

Please don't just refer me to HammockForums. I can't post or message anyone on my account -- I guess it never activated but I don't have the option to do that.

When I hiked with my dog and used a hammock I hung it low to the ground so he could sleep against me as he does in a tent. I put pine needles if available under me to insulate both he and I. If it's cold he sleeps in a fleece jacket with the sleeves shortened and has a child's sleeping bag I cover him with...he sleeps well, I stay awake all night making sure of it.

kayak karl
06-28-2014, 19:27
i have a 12' 1.9 DIY coated hammock. 100 lb dog sleeps in with me or under it if she wants. i hang 12" off ground.

LIhikers
06-29-2014, 00:17
Has anyone mentioned yet getting your dog a fleece pull over of the right size?
Something from a second hand shop would work fine.
Slide it over your dogs head and put the dogs front legs through the arms of the pull over.

Paws60
07-01-2014, 22:02
I have a Lab, in the past I put two dog coats on her in the tent, lows have been low 20's. Now that I've gone to a hammock she will still have two coats and am making a Dawn filled blanket to cover her. I'll be low to ground so will be able to re-adjust the blanket if and when she sheds it. Tried her in the hammock won't work unless your dog is a miniature ????? My dog carrier's her on food and coats. I'll carry her Dawn blanket her pack with 6 days of food and two coats run about 9 lbs her limit.

July
07-02-2014, 21:45
i have a 12' 1.9 DIY coated hammock. 100 lb dog sleeps in with me or under it if she wants. i hang 12" off ground.
Yep, sounds like a good system. I have found thru the years, my dogs tend to be nocturnal. After camp is set and dinner is fed, they may watch them trees swing, leaves blow under the light of the moon. If temps drop or fog rolls too thick, jump back in the nest:)

Wise Old Owl
07-02-2014, 22:58
Has anyone mentioned yet getting your dog a fleece pull over of the right size?
Something from a second hand shop would work fine.
Slide it over your dogs head and put the dogs front legs through the arms of the pull over.

Not a bad idea - sewing a blanket in half - add a pull out and tie that to a tree so they can curl up... OK there's a training issue... got a month? I have good skills at training and the dog could not be less interested in a pad or blanket no mater how cold... clearly my fault. But I think it can happen.

OCDave
07-02-2014, 23:54
Our dog came with a really nice fur coat.

Ricky&Jack
07-02-2014, 23:55

what kind?

Jhp45auto
07-03-2014, 19:44
[QUOTE=. If it's cold he sleeps in a fleece jacket with the sleeves shortened and has a child's sleeping bag I cover him with...he sleeps well, I stay awake all night making sure of it.[/QUOTE]

That is me, I have hard time worrying if my buddy is comfortable and don't sleep well myself.

My dog wears neoprene vest aka his tactical vest so he still thinks he is cool and not a dog in a sweater. I have tried blanket to keep him covered, with no luck. I usually stake him on his leash under my hammock and he seems to have no use for ground cloths or blankets I bring, preferring to sleep on the ground. I may try the kids vest.

Good topic.

Tron-Life
07-07-2014, 21:59

I posted something on like in an earlier forum but I think it still applies. I find that the best thing to do is to try to get my dog GRADUALLY acclimatized to colder temps so he can grow in a nice full coat. This in conjunction with a doggy raincoat/jacket works into the very low temps for my dog (your results will vary by breed and individual). This method, in addition to training hikes with your dog, will prepare them for cold weather better then a heavy store bought coat and no conditioning. A big thing for dogs in the wilderness is for them to feel secure and the gradual conditioning helps them to adjust.

I usually use a tarp which makes sleeping with a dog very simple; tie him to the tree you strung your tarp on and let him sleep next to you which keeps you both warmer. That's it! There's another advantage for the open tarp set up!

Tron-Life
07-07-2014, 22:02
I should mention that my dog is a German Shepard Rottweiler mix...

Tron-Life
07-07-2014, 22:04
oh wait, I posted in this forum already... Sorry I must be getting old.

July
07-07-2014, 22:59
Yep, sounds like a good system. I have found thru the years, my dogs tend to be nocturnal. After camp is set and dinner is fed, they may watch them trees swing, leaves blow under the light of the moon. If temps drop or fog rolls too thick, jump back in the nest:)

I Love my Dogs! They keep me up, unless.... they know daddy got bet set, then kisses and.... hopfully.... the wind dont shift

Sheriff Cougar
07-07-2014, 23:21
Have you tried using a doggie coat? Just a thought.

July
07-07-2014, 23:28
Have you tried using a doggie coat? Just a thought.

Furthring abstaining from this thread. Unless intelligent com exists

Jake2c
07-08-2014, 10:54
I am shifting to hammock camping and have not gone with my dog yet. In the past I let my dog sleep in my tent but he didn’t really like it. He was a long haired dog but often chose to sleep just outside the tent, even in rain. At first I would bring him into the tent and zipper it up but he would just sit there looking at the access point. Outside, he would curl up and go to sleep, often not even staying in the vestibule. At first I used to be concerned but he liked it that way. That dog was the best dog I have ever owned. He passed away a couple of years ago and I still miss him.

4Bears
07-08-2014, 18:15
You have one pad, why not get another ccf pad and make a half dome shelter customized to your dogs size. It could block the wind and provide some additional shelter. You could even drape some tyvek over the opening to help. The idea of a doggie vest strapped on at night would help as well.

ktest
07-16-2014, 22:15
These are all good ideas! I haven't been back out with her in a hammock yet, but I love the idea of hanging low enough to sleep against her --seems efficient. I've also bought some stretch fleece and plan to make a jacket, as well as some ruffwear socks (she gives me hateful looks when I make her wear them but they seem to help!)

lemon b
07-17-2014, 10:56
Lets also not forget animals know more about staying warm in the outdoors than humans.

lilricky
07-22-2014, 10:04
Colds are not caused by cold, they are caused by viruses. Now a lower temperature can reduce a body's immune response, but that temp would have to be really cold for a canine. Before your next trip out with your pooch, you should take her to the vet for a check up, just in case she has a variant of the cold virus. You said you started doing overnights recently, how cold does it get in Tennessee during the spring months? Why not a pup tent?

EastCoastClimber
07-24-2014, 13:55
I'm pretty sure my dog (very thin coat) about 50 lbs, had a cold also the next morning. This was in spring with chilly night temps in Maryland, felt really bad the next morning. He did have my fleece liner to lay in, but he just seemed uncomfortable the whole night. He would just stand inside the tent. That was also his first time camping since I rescued him.

leftorright
09-09-2014, 16:32
My dog is a fair bit smaller as idk if this will be helpful but - a 16 lb dachshund in the warmth of the day he finds himself a nice sunny spot to sleep if we are just camping but as soon as any temp drops he makes straight for the tent. I guess I'm lucky, he immediately figured out to paw at my back to wake me up so I scooted to one side of my sleeping bag and he crawled down behind me all the way down to the footbox of my sleeping bag lol. So far I have only taken naps with him in my hammock but what generally works is for him to lay in the bend of my legs if I'm on my side or between my legs if I'm on my back or stomach and I just throw a quilt over us. With the underquilt it's usually plenty warm that way.

2Ply
09-09-2014, 18:13
I keep a 3 X 5 ground sheet under my hammock and Buddy sleeps on that at the head end. He uses a Kelty infant sleeping bag. Kids out grow them fast so thrift stores are a great place to look. He sleeps on top in the warmer months and in it during the colder ones. I clip his leash to the tarp ridge line so he can move around but not too far. If it's really cold he'll sleep in the hammock with me.
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd183/61tater/Long%20Creek%20Falls%208-15-13/buddybag_zpsb0d9b372.jpg

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd183/61tater/Raven%20Cliffs%20hang%203-22-14/buddy_zpseff9658b.jpg

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd183/61tater/Chattooga%20river%20hang%2010-25-13/snuggle_zps9e25fc30.jpg

Sarcasm the elf
09-09-2014, 18:22
I'm pretty sure my dog (very thin coat) about 50 lbs, had a cold also the next morning. This was in spring with chilly night temps in Maryland, felt really bad the next morning. He did have my fleece liner to lay in, but he just seemed uncomfortable the whole night. He would just stand inside the tent. That was also his first time camping since I rescued him.

Did your dog have a foam pad to sleep on? Ground insulation is just as important as a blanket since the ground is cold and will suck the body heat right out of you or your dog. Based on your description there's a good chance that is why your dog didn't want to lay down in the tent.
I use half of an old thermarest z rest pad for my pup when we're on the trail.

Country Roads
09-10-2014, 19:31
I use a dog jacket for nights low-40's and up to 50. I switch to a dog parka (full body coverage and more insulation) when the temps go lower. If it is windy, I put one of my old wind shells over top of either the jacket or parka. She looks pretty funny, but is warm. She rarely sleeps on a pad; usually only if the ground is really damp. She has not gotten a cold or any other cold-weather stuff. She does not have a lot of fur on her ears, so the hood on the parka works well. Oh the crazy things we do to have the pup with us :)