PDA

View Full Version : What are you carrying that is "Green"?

Elder
05-27-2014, 12:04
What are you carrying or using on your hikes that is Green? A little merino wool? maybe (gasp) a little cotton? How about a Green based trekking pole set? American made, American grown solid stem bamboo! www.americantrekkingpoles.com (http://www.americantrekkingpoles.com) Very strong, very light and a much better "connection" to the trail. No clanking required.

Damn Yankee
05-27-2014, 13:07
My Nemo tent

Odd Man Out
05-27-2014, 14:09
What are you carrying or using on your hikes that is Green? A little merino wool? maybe (gasp) a little cotton? How about a Green based trekking pole set? American made, American grown solid stem bamboo! www.americantrekkingpoles.com (http://www.americantrekkingpoles.com) Very strong, very light and a much better "connection" to the trail. No clanking required.

I'm not sure that labeling any particular piece of gear as "green" is always accurate or useful. I would say my water bottles are "green" as they are Gatorade bottles I pulled out the garbage. I reduce the need to produce a new bottle by reusing and exisiting one and I will recycle it when I'm done with it. Things that you think of as green may not be. Cotton for example isn't particularly "green" as it requires a lot of water to grow. The irrigation of cotton fields in central Asia is responsible for the disappearance of the Aral Sea, and the subsequent salinization of the farm fields makes this agricultural practice unsustainable.

However I see backpacking as a whole to be a very green hobby. Even if any one piece of gear can't be labeled "green", the fact that you need (even want) to have relatively little gear results in relatively little impact. In addition to needing less stuff, backpacking is relatively green compared to many other hobbies due to the few resources used during the activity. I will use public transportation to get to and from the trail for my hike this summer. Then I will walk for six days consuming only food and one bottle of methanol stove fuel. Compared to most hobbies, that's pretty green.

garlic08
05-27-2014, 14:22
What a great question, because it really bothers me how non-green my stuff is, and how often I wear stuff out and need to replace it. To me, footwear is the worst offender. I also tend to eat less consciously while hiking--more packaging, more stuff shipped from far away, etc.

I, too, feel pretty good about taking water bottles and stove material out of the waste stream, but talk about the proverbial drop in a bucket.

I only feel pretty green on a thru hike because I'm not burning fossil fuel, maybe for months, while doing it, and generally use public transport at the termini. (Hitching doesn't count because the person was passing by anyway.)

Odd Man Out
05-27-2014, 14:54
What a great question, because it really bothers me how non-green my stuff is, and how often I wear stuff out and need to replace it. To me, footwear is the worst offender. I also tend to eat less consciously while hiking--more packaging, more stuff shipped from far away, etc.

I, too, feel pretty good about taking water bottles and stove material out of the waste stream, but talk about the proverbial drop in a bucket.

I only feel pretty green on a thru hike because I'm not burning fossil fuel, maybe for months, while doing it, and generally use public transport at the termini. (Hitching doesn't count because the person was passing by anyway.)

The key is to focus on what is NOT consumed by choosing to backpack vs what would be consumed by other activities. If you are not getting around by foot, then you are probably getting around by car. Really, how significant is the environmental impact of buying new shoes after hiking for 250 hours vs the impact of driving for 250 hours (including gas, tires, oil, etc...)? Or consider the comparison to another "walking" activity such as golf. A fully loaded golf bag probably weighs more than a loaded backpack, so by that measure you need more stuff. But again, don't focus on the "stuff". A significant impact of golfing is hidden. That would would be the resources consumed to maintain the golf course (dozens of acres mowed every day). In contrast, how many resources are consumed to maintain a trail?

Sarcasm the elf
05-27-2014, 15:12
When i think of the environmental impact of my trips (section hiker) I think that transportation is by far the biggest issue. I've been trying to keep my weekend hikes to within a two hour drive of my house, leaving the sections that are farther away for longer trips. I also try to carpool when possible. On my trip to Springer last October I got from Connecticut to Georgia by train instead of by driving there by myself. That saved a lot of gas.

Sarcasm the elf
05-27-2014, 15:18
The key is to focus on what is NOT consumed by choosing to backpack vs what would be consumed by other activities. If you are not getting around by foot, then you are probably getting around by car. Really, how significant is the environmental impact of buying new shoes after hiking for 250 hours vs the impact of driving for 250 hours (including gas, tires, oil, etc...)? Or consider the comparison to another "walking" activity such as golf. A fully loaded golf bag probably weighs more than a loaded backpack, so by that measure you need more stuff. But again, don't focus on the "stuff". A significant impact of golfing is hidden. That would would be the resources consumed to maintain the golf course (dozens of acres mowed every day). In contrast, how many resources are consumed to maintain a trail?

There was a recent thread in which someone pointed out that the protected A.T. Greenway/Corridor has kept huge sections of land from becoming tract housing and urban sprawl. By supporting the A.T. we are helping to conserve thousands of acres of land in some of the most densely populated parts of the USA.

Malto
05-27-2014, 16:54
All of the gear that I chose not to take is green. If it doesn't exist then it isn't harmful.

rafe
05-27-2014, 17:02
There was a recent thread in which someone pointed out that the protected A.T. Greenway/Corridor has kept huge sections of land from becoming tract housing and urban sprawl. By supporting the A.T. we are helping to conserve thousands of acres of land in some of the most densely populated parts of the USA.

Might have been me, it knocked me in the head while zooming in on the AT corridor on google maps, in satellite view.

I throw a few bucks every year to the Maine AT Land Trust (http://www.matlt.org) just 'cuz I'd like to see more of that land stay wild. I think it was Weary who goaded me into doing that.

Coffee
05-27-2014, 17:04
Like any other activity it depends on the individual involved and also much depends on how much travel is required to get to the hike. Flying across the country is quite different from a local hike on the AT. But once on the trail anyone who is the least bit aware of LNT is going to have a very small impact overall compared to how they live normally. On my AT section hike the garbage I generated over a week could fit in a quart sized ziploc bag. In contrast, I typically fill up a 13 gallon kitchen trash bag with recyclables every other week plus another 13 gallon bag with garbage every week. Difference between normal life and trail life couldn't be more dramatic.

rafe
05-27-2014, 17:17
Like any other activity it depends on the individual involved and also much depends on how much travel is required to get to the hike. Flying across the country is quite different from a local hike on the AT.

Very true. Fuel consumed getting to/from the trail needs to be considered. I'm not as comfortable as I used to be (as a young 'un) driving three hours each way for a day hike in the Whites. For a weekend or longer... my conscience is at ease.

But once on the trail anyone who is the least bit aware of LNT is going to have a very small impact overall compared to how they live normally. On my AT section hike the garbage I generated over a week could fit in a quart sized ziploc bag. In contrast, I typically fill up a 13 gallon kitchen trash bag with recyclables every other week plus another 13 gallon bag with garbage every week. Difference between normal life and trail life couldn't be more dramatic.

Very true. Efficiency is everything on the trail. I use 0.1 oz. of isobutane to cook dinner -- versus gallons of gas just to drive to/from work.

canoe
05-27-2014, 17:49
my pack is green...so is my sleeping bag...some of my socks are green. After I sit on the grass sometimes my shorts are green.

canoe
05-27-2014, 17:49
oh yeah my wasabi is green too

Venchka
05-27-2014, 17:51
I don't think that I have anything that is green. I do have a lot of blue stuff. Seems like all backpacking gear is blue.
Wait! I have a pair of green silk long undies. Do I get double style points for those?

Wayne

Starchild
05-27-2014, 18:46
Is this a plug for americantrekingpoles?

Come on fess up

Most of my hiking equipment is earth based.

Starchild

rocketsocks
05-27-2014, 18:56
I walk quite a bit, if I need something from the out fitter, I walk there. Often paying a higher premium than with what could be purchased on line, but it is just one small way in which I reduce my personal carbon foot print.

...i do have this one pair of under wear that is green.

Last Call
05-27-2014, 19:09
Currency. Nothing beats cash!

jimmyjam
05-27-2014, 19:22
My green wool shirt.

Pedaling Fool
05-27-2014, 19:40
This is an issue that causes me quite a bit of guilt, because I live a pretty simplistic life and ride a bike everywhere as my primary form of transportation and even when I hike I don't go to towns very often and I never slackpack...this has led me to having an extremely small carbon footprint. Yet, I greatly benefit from all the extra co2 in the atmosphere by having larger and larger produce in my garden every year and I hardly spend a cent for the co2.

Commercial Greenhouses spend lots of money to up their co2 concentrations and I get it free;)

Some of those generators are Expensive http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/co2-generator-for-greenhouse_1288913029.html?s=p

Drybones
05-27-2014, 19:42
Three dollars and a sinus infection.

Drybones
05-27-2014, 19:44
Three dollars and a sinus infection.

And a pair of synthetic Exofficio underwear.

Sarcasm the elf
05-27-2014, 19:55
...i do have this one pair of under wear that is green.

My green wool shirt.

And a pair of synthetic Exofficio underwear.

Yes, but what color were they when you bought them? :D:eek:

rocketsocks
05-27-2014, 20:35
Yes, but what color were they when you bought them? :D:eek:
Blue o'coarse.;)

Wise Old Owl
05-27-2014, 21:18
Is this green enough?27155

OCDave
05-27-2014, 22:29
My backpack comes from Utah rather than China. My tent; Seattle rather than Vietnam. Quilts, Hammocks, Tarps, stoves and accessories that were crafted by US based individuals rather than large corporations and shipped from the other side of the globe.

I equate buying local to the greener option.

rocketsocks
05-27-2014, 22:40
My backpack comes from Utah rather than China. My tent; Seattle rather than Vietnam. Quilts, Hammocks, Tarps, stoves and accessories that were crafted by US based individuals rather than large corporations and shipped from the other side of the globe.

I equate buying local to the greener option.yeah I hear what your saying, it is so hard to know just what goes into a product, all it's component parts, ie; textiles, dye's, metals...but we all do the best we can, it's not easy, but every little bit helps I always say.

ps, when I walk somewhere, I don't think of it as I'm being green...usually the act comes first, and then I say to my self "that was pretty green of me" Being green really requires a huge life time change and commitment that I think most are just not up to...but again, every little bit helps.

OCDave
05-27-2014, 23:54
... Being green really requires a huge life time change and commitment that I think most are just not up to...but again, every little bit helps...

Agreed, but when everyone does just a little bit...

Most of us are up to at least that much commitment.

Starchild
05-28-2014, 06:01

I equate buying local to the greener option.

But just think of all those children starving in China

Starchild
05-28-2014, 06:02

That is green green

Starvin Marvin
05-28-2014, 08:38

Im green with envy.

theinfamousj
05-28-2014, 09:27
I also tend to eat less consciously while hiking--more packaging, more stuff shipped from far away, etc.

Because I have odd dietary restrictions, and mostly because I don't like carrying things (lazy? Me? Guilty!) I have taken to packing my one-pot meals in wax paper. I burn the paper when done.

One-pot is like freezer bag, but without the freezer bags. Sure, you have to clean the pot, but even at home I enjoy doing dishes so I don't mind.

On a not-responding-to-the-quoted-post note, I also rescue water bottles and stove material from the waste stream. And pots, too. I have many beer can pots.

I also have a fair amount of merino wool, silk, and down. Is that green? Or is that just sustainable? I thought it was the latter.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

thomas5052
07-12-2014, 10:46
I would say that my homemade alcohol stove is Green because it falls in line with reduce, reuse, and recycle.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Francis Sawyer
07-12-2014, 14:38
Anybody who feels guilty about hiking with gear that is not "green" can send me $25.00 and I will offset your carbon footprint by growing trees, bamboo and other plants at my home. I will also send you a certificate which you can show everybody. This certificate will indicate that you have taken responsibility for abusing the ecosystem. It will also give everybody a good laugh at your expense at what a foolish person you are!

OCDave
07-12-2014, 21:14
But just think of all those children starving in China

Are there children starving in China?

swisscross
07-12-2014, 21:19
I still use a "green" cup that was in my BSA mess kit, some 35 years ago.

mrcoffeect
07-13-2014, 08:00
my toe jam is green. made locally and delivered on foot.

mrcoffeect
07-13-2014, 08:03
I did it again. went just a little past the bounds of good taste. soooo sorrrry. :eek:

Venchka
07-13-2014, 10:17
Anybody who feels guilty about hiking with gear that is not "green" can send me $25.00 and I will offset your carbon footprint by growing trees, bamboo and other plants at my home. I will also send you a certificate which you can show everybody. This certificate will indicate that you have taken responsibility for abusing the ecosystem. It will also give everybody a good laugh at your expense at what a foolish person you are!

Please! No bamboo! Or any other invasive alien plants. Please? Didn't kudzu and water hyacinth teach us anything?

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Pedaling Fool
07-13-2014, 16:25
Bamboo is very invasive, but I don't see the problem, just get a few of these and they'll keep bamboo very much under control https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhwWYIa9fY4

zelph
07-13-2014, 16:32
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/obijiwa/Conquistador%20Cook%20Kit/conquistadorcookkit003_zps74b27ee5.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/obijiwa/media/Conquistador%20Cook%20Kit/conquistadorcookkit003_zps74b27ee5.jpg.html)