PDA

View Full Version : Do you log your hikes/equipment usage?

Ricky&Jack
05-27-2014, 20:46
I was wondering if you log your hikes and equipment usage.... and if you do, where can I see a sample of the spreadsheet?

When i see people posting things like "my trail runners have 1,286 miles on them" or "I've hiked 3,620 miles in my life" or "my sleeping bag for sale only has 27 nights in it" I wonder 'did they just guess that number, or do they keep track?'

here's something i made up right now to show an example of what I mean.
I was wondering if you guys do something like this? and if so, can you post a screen shot so i can see it, so I can create a proper log?

HooKooDooKu
05-27-2014, 20:59
For the last 20 years, I've used an old GSMNP Trail Map to write down each hike I've done in the Great Smoky Mountains (mainly as a record working towards the GSMNP 900 Miler Club).
I didn't own a computer when I go started, and I haven't gotten around to transposing the data to a spread sheet.

Otherwise, I can believe that some people simply remember. Unless you go hiking every weekend, each trip is a memorable event. So I can believe that in some cases people simply know in their minds between which trips they bought certain pieces of gear and can quickly count the number of times/days/nights certain equipment has been used.

bigcranky
05-27-2014, 21:39
I have my first AT Databook from the late 90s, and I log all my section hikes in it so I can keep track. I also have a Word document where I write an "after action report" on what gear I took, what worked and what didn't, what the trail was like, etc. That way I have something I can look at when planning a new hike. I also have a spreadsheet with all my possible gear choices, so I can easily pack for a trip and not forget something important....

Edit: I also find myself looking at photos of previous hikes, and noting things like what equipment I was using. This brings back all sorts of memories about those hikes. Lots of fun, actually.

Lone Wolf
05-27-2014, 21:42
i still use the same data book and cook pot from 1986

Feral Bill
05-27-2014, 22:08
I keep no track at all.

rafe
05-27-2014, 22:08
I kept journals on most of my AT hikes, at least from 1989 onward. Before then they were just random walks in the woods -- but I'd already hiked most of the Whites, the DAKs and Katahdin by then.

Usually if it's anything beyond a day hike, I'll keep a journal. A small notepad and ballpoint pen. I take lots of photos as well. (terrapinphoto.com).

Patrickjd9
05-27-2014, 22:20
I have my first AT Databook from the late 90s, and I log all my section hikes in it so I can keep track. I also have a Word document where I write an "after action report" on what gear I took, what worked and what didn't, what the trail was like, etc. That way I have something I can look at when planning a new hike. I also have a spreadsheet with all my possible gear choices, so I can easily pack for a trip and not forget something important....

You're writing down considerably more that I do, but I have been keeping a log and mileage spreadsheet of AT sections hiked since I decided to finish the trail in 2006. Some of it had to be recreated, including going back to the leader of a trip in the early 90s to confirm the starting point.

I make a gear list for every trip, and usually work from the list from a similar trip in the past to outfit myself.

Patrickjd9
05-27-2014, 22:22
Remembering broken or missing gear is also important, and I try to add it to a to-do list at work to get it fixed right after the trip. Though both my pairs of hiking boots need to be replaced right now, OUCH!

rafe
05-27-2014, 22:29
i still use the same data book and cook pot from 1986

Then I should warn you, Beaver Brook shelter is now halfway up the mountain, not down by the road.

WorldPeaceAndStuff
05-27-2014, 22:33
Google MyTracks.

MDSection12
05-27-2014, 22:37
I've lost track of my total backpacking nights or miles (not to imply anything other than I just haven't kept track), but I can give rough estimates pretty easily. As already said, I remember the big trips and can list them off and tally their totals for a good starting point. I'm still relatively green and documentation is something I need to work on.I do track my unique miles of AT though, mostly because it's a small number; 21 miles outside of Roanoke, 19 miles south of Harper's Ferry, all 42 miles of Maryland, and 21 miles north of the Mason-Dixon...

rocketsocks
05-27-2014, 22:58
Then I should warn you, Beaver Brook shelter is now halfway up the mountain, not down by the road.
now that's funny.

Lone Wolf
05-28-2014, 07:15

i don't use shelters. don't care where they are

daddytwosticks
05-28-2014, 07:18
Everything is in my head. :)

Starchild
05-28-2014, 07:25
I sometimes will keep track, somewhat. For the AT pre-thru hike I used a ATC maps and highlighted the section and dated it. For stuff like the peaks that qualify for a patch I will sometimes write down the date in the section for that mountain, but not always. For the thru hike I started using the AWOL guide book writing in that, but after a while I just started to just use the last place I stepped to mark how much I completed. I also found my best reference as to where I have been when was to use the date stamp on my camera.

I found that I like to keep it simple and don't care to add complication.

HYOH

bigcranky
05-28-2014, 07:34
I make a gear list for every trip, and usually work from the list from a similar trip in the past to outfit myself.

Yup, I keep all my gear lists and go back and refer to them for upcoming trips. In conjunction with the notes I write after the trip, it helps a lot with planning.

Lyle
05-28-2014, 08:07
I just keep it in my mind. On a few occasions I've gone back through remembered, major backpacking trips and added up estimates of miles. Comes out to somewhere between 7,000 and 20,000 miles. Close enough for my purposes. :-)

Equipment generally changes often enough that it gets replaced before it gets worn out. Not always, but for most things. Especially with the lightening/condensing I've been doing over the past decade or so. Never had a single bit of gear that didn't work (other than Goretex jacket, it worked as a windbreak, not so much as a rain jacket), just some things worked better than others, or were more efficient, lighter, more compressible, etc.

In over 35 years of serious backpacking, I've never seen or experienced a situation where gear choice made or broke a planned trip. As to keeping track of what works and what doesn't. If it wasn't impressive enough to leave an indelible memory, then it worked good enough, so no need to record notes on it.

Regarding the miles, most folks figure out early-on what they like and don't like. After that, it's all just refinement and adding memories. What's the difference between someone who hiked 1000 miles and someone who hiked 20,000? How many memories are stuffed away.

Gambit McCrae
05-28-2014, 08:31
I have my thru hiker companion, when a section is competed each weekend, I look forward to marking that section off in the book. As I get down to each state I print off the page from the state by state parking and access website (http://rohland.homedns.org:8008/at/at_menu.aspx). Followed by the PDF of state by state elevation profile. Staple that together and highlight the sections as I complete them in that as well. Finally, in my wallet I keep a miliage note. On this note I put my current miles walked(with a backpack of anykind on), what section or park I walked at, date, who went, and what direction. I carry the same gear pretty much all the time and have resorted to slackpacking to kill more miles each day and still enjoy social time at hostels etc :)

Mags
05-28-2014, 09:27
I've never seen or experienced a situation where gear choice made or broke a planned trip. As to keeping track of what works and what doesn't. If it wasn't impressive enough to leave an indelible memory, then it worked good enough, so no need to record notes on it.

That is my method as well.

My method of keeping track of mileage is similar to yours, tool. The rare time when someone asks me how many miles I've hiked, I smile (or use the online equivalent) and say "Somewhere between a little and a lot" :)

hikernutcasey
05-28-2014, 09:59
I don't keep up with the gear as much, although I do keep an Excel spreadsheet of all my gear to help me remember not to forget anything while packing. I also include item weights on there in my quest to become lighter.

I do keep a detailed spreadsheet of the sections I've done including starting and ending point, total miles and the starting and ending dates. This way when I complete the trail I can always go back and see when I did each section.

My next project is to go through all my pics on my computer and get them developed so I can start an album and add to it as I go.

RED-DOG
05-28-2014, 13:02
The only thing i keep a log of is the TOTAL trail miles i have Hiked and thats ALL trails through out the USA, things such as equipment i just use it until it wears out then buy new.

Berserker
05-28-2014, 13:12
I'm am a bit embarrassed to admit it, but yes I track all my stuff in a spreadsheet (it's my dorky engineeing side :)). I log all my trips, track all the gear carried, and even have a tab for "utilization" so I can see how often certain big ticket items are actually getting used. The utilization sheet was actually useful when I was thinking of making a sleeping bag change and realized I had one I rarely used...sold it to help fund the new one.

Ricky&Jack
05-28-2014, 13:16
I'm am a bit embarrassed to admit it, but yes I track all my stuff in a spreadsheet (it's my dorky engineeing side :)). I log all my trips, track all the gear carried, and even have a tab for "utilization" so I can see how often certain big ticket items are actually getting used. The utilization sheet was actually useful when I was thinking of making a sleeping bag change and realized I had one I rarely used...sold it to help fund the new one.

Do you have a screen shot/photo of what yours looks likes?

I made this one lastnight. I only spent 20 minutes on it, so its very rough. Not sure what to add/improve.

Im sure having this makes me a bit "anal" and Im sure I'll end up ditching the logs eventually. But I'm still super new to hiking and experimenting with thigs.

rocketsocks
05-28-2014, 13:21
I do keep a small note pad, but don't always write in it. I write on my maps too, mostly time signatures between points for later reference. But there again I don't do it enough to really make it count for somethin. just something to do on trail to keep the wheels turning, it's fun keepin track.

Yankytyke
05-28-2014, 13:26
As I only do day hikes. I use mapmyhike. It keeps track of the route, miles & I'm my case more importantly the calories burned.

Ricky&Jack
05-28-2014, 13:33
As I only do day hikes. I use mapmyhike. It keeps track of the route, miles & I'm my case more importantly the calories burned.

I thought of that. But even on a 9mile hike, my cell may be dead by the time I get back to the car. So I haven't used that, since I tend to hike in the mountains on back roads that I need my phone map to get to.

MDSection12
05-28-2014, 13:37
I really want to start keeping journals on my hikes... But there's always something really good in the Caveman TV when I get to camp. :)

rafe
05-28-2014, 13:44
Im sure having this makes me a bit "anal" and Im sure I'll end up ditching the logs eventually. But I'm still super new to hiking and experimenting with thigs.

Obviously it's your call what you want to write. Me, I mostly note what's exceptional and unexpected... whatever pops into my mind as "noteworthy". If the hike involves a new piece of gear or a new technique I'm using for the first time, I may note whether it worked out or not.

The only "form" I use when hiking is my gear checklist, just to make sure I'm not forgetting anything really important. I update the checklist every few years. Eg. it used to list camera and film as separate items, but eventually I went to a digital camera. I used to carry a bit of grease/wax for greasing up my leather boots. Might ditch the camera as a separate item, and just go with the one in the phone. Etc. and so on.

Yankytyke
05-28-2014, 13:46
I thought of that. But even on a 9mile hike, my cell may be dead by the time I get back to the car. So I haven't used that, since I tend to hike in the mountains on back roads that I need my phone map to get to.

What type of phone do you use? You can get a double life battery for most Droids. For my iPhone I can o 13 miles easy & have at least a quarter battery life remaining. I do carry n external battery pack that I'll recharge the phone 4 times. Cost $30 on Amazon.

fastfoxengineering
05-28-2014, 14:49
I'm currently hiking all the 48 4,000 footers in the White Mtns. Day hikes as well as overnight hikes. I keep a small journal to record them. I'll log the day, weather, time, trail I took, and something memorable about the trip. But honestly, whenever my buddy mentions a certain trip we took, I remember it. There's always something that I wont forget about it.

When it comes to logging gear. After hours upon hours of transitioning to lightweight backpacking. And through many nights using my gear. I know exactly what I want/need in my pack and where it is. I don't really use a list cause nothing ever comes out of my hiking pack. I just dump everything out and see what needs a refill. All in all, if I were to forget something it would be small like hand sanitizer or something. And 9 times out 10, one of my hiking partners would have some.

Ask a thru-hiker what's in their pack, and they'll tell you everything off the top of their head.