PDA

View Full Version : Standing Indian - Late June(First Family Backpacking Trip)

Blarralde
05-27-2014, 20:56
Let me start by saying thank you to those who reply. Well I have finally been able to convince the wife and kids(boy 10 and girl 8) to try hiking/backpacking and I found Standing Indian loop doing a goolge search. I am trying to make sure they have the best time ever, so I am trying to find as much as I can before the trip. I would appreciate everyones input regarding what I should expect during that time of month in that region as far as weather, campsites, bugs and trail condition. I am also looking for a good trail map for the 24/25 mile loop, so any input there is greatly appreciated.

Thanks...Bernie

canoe
05-27-2014, 21:08
How long are you planning on being out there. So you family has never been hiking and on the first trip you are going on a 25miler. Are you talking about Standing indian NC? I am not sure that is a real interesting hike. If I had a wife and 2 young kids that you are trying to break in to hiking I would go for something more fun and interesting and maybe a shorter trip. Not sure how long you are going to be out there. Maybe the Smokies or Grayson highlands. Just my thoughts

DugK
05-27-2014, 21:17
I second Grayson Highlands. I took my wife on her first trip there. Many options plus the wild ponies are in abundance this year.
I don't know Indian loop but either way have fun and make it fun for your family

misterfloyd
05-27-2014, 21:27
If you have never done a backpacking trip I would not do Standing Indian NC. It and Albert are wonderful but it is hard.

when I was going through it last year we were socked in with rain and fog so I cannot comment on the view from S. Indian, but the view from Albert in the fire tower is awesome. Chiggers made a highway on my legs, weather is nice but the weather changes very quickly as well.

I don't know what your families comfort level is but I may want to rethink the mileage and location. You want them to do it again, and not get turned off. One bad trip will do it.

Does it have to be the AT? There are really cool balds in NC with shorter miles. Great view + less mileage = repeat customers. Shinning rock, is really neat up to Shinning rock "campsites" They aren't the easiest miles but they are only 6 or 7 at the most. Fires Creek rim Trail is also very cool. Not a bald however

I would do the Greyson Highlands as well with my 10 year old son.

Have a great time with you family and don't over do it for their sake. You are sowing the seed, it may take time

Best
Floyd

bigcranky
05-27-2014, 21:36
The Standing Indian Loop is a terrific 25 mile hike, but...... in late June there will only be a couple of places with good views: the top of Standing Indian Mountain, and the top of Albert Mountain. Otherwise you're in the trees in the "green tunnel" for the whole hike. It also has some strenuous climbs. If you would like to do it, you'll want to park at the trailhead at the Standing Indian Campground, then the loop consists of the Long Branch Trail, Appalachian Trail, and the Kimsey Creek Trail -- and I would do the loop clockwise in that order. The AT map of the area (GA/NC) is the best one. This is a terrific hike, but probably best done in late April or early May.

I will third the motion for Grayson Highlands. It's not that much further, being in Southwest Virginia right off of I-81. Come up I-77 from SC (I-95 to I-26 to I-77 north past Charlotte) and when you get to I-81 in VA head south to Marion around exit 45 then head south on VA 16 to US 58 East to Grayson Highlands State Park. Park in the Backpacker's Parking area at Massey Gap, and there are several good 2-night hikes that will take you around large open rocky balds with wild ponies and amazing views. I'd be happy to recommend some specific hikes if you decide you'd like more info on this area. My personal experience with taking the family is that great views are better than lots of miles. You can look in my photo gallery here on WB (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/browseimages.php?do=member&imageuser=266) for some Highlands photos.

Good luck with the planning and the hike.

Blarralde
05-27-2014, 22:03
OK. I am listening. I see the marketing value Grayson Highlands, the ponies and the amazing views. This would not be it would not be that bad for Miami, FL city folks. I am looking for something that would take about 3 days, so Ken and group please make trail suggestions. Ken what camera are you using since those picks are great quality and you know you have to have family pics.

bigcranky
05-28-2014, 07:37
I will send you a PM with trail suggestions. The camera is just a camera - I have a lot of different cameras and just grab whichever one I feel like taking. Mostly for hiking they are just basic point and shoot models, though once in a while I take a "real" camera :)

slbirdnerd
05-28-2014, 11:48
OK. I am listening. I see the marketing value Grayson Highlands, the ponies and the amazing views. This would not be it would not be that bad for Miami, FL city folks. I am looking for something that would take about 3 days, so Ken and group please make trail suggestions. Ken what camera are you using since those picks are great quality and you know you have to have family pics.

Yay! These guys have great advice so I'll stay out of it. I just wanted to say I ruined my 10 year old son on backpacking last year by doing it all wrong for him. :( Just remember it is their hike if you have kids along, not so much yours. Also, let them help plan and it will give them a vested interest.

wannahike
05-28-2014, 12:10
I will send you a PM with trail suggestions. The camera is just a camera - I have a lot of different cameras and just grab whichever one I feel like taking. Mostly for hiking they are just basic point and shoot models, though once in a while I take a "real" camera :)

Oh, would you please post your trail suggestions for all. I would like more info on taking family backpacking.
Thanks

bigcranky
05-28-2014, 13:18
Oh, would you please post your trail suggestions for all. I would like more info on taking family backpacking.
Thanks

Sure thing. Here is what I sent the OP. It's a modified cut-and-paste from some posts I've made over the years:

The best place to park is in the Grayson Highlands State Park, in the Backcountry parking area at Massey Gap. It's safer, and you'll spend a lot more time in the open high country. It costs a couple of bucks a day to park there. You pay at the park entrance station.

There are several loops that you can see on the map (get the National Geographic map of the Mt Rogers National Recreation Area.). The shortest combines the AT with the Pine Mountain Trail. That's about 12 miles including the blue blaze trail that goes up to Massey Gap and the AT and makes a nice overnight hike.

Two night hike idea: Park at Massey Gap, hike up the blue blaze trail to the AT, and turn left (southbound on AT, but compass NW-ish) to hike up Wilburn Ridge. At Rhododendron Gap turn left to stay on the AT southbound toward Thomas Knob Shelter. Head past the shelter a quarter mile and take the side trail to the top of Mt Rogers. No views, as it's in the woods, but it's the state high point. Come back down to the shelter, go past it (AT-north, back the way you came) anywhere from 500 yards to 1/2 mile and find a camp site. There is water in the spring behind the shelter (inside the fenced corral.) There is a nice privy at the shelter (chicks dig privies.) You can't camp at the shelter, but there are many, many obvious campsites between the shelter and Rhododendron Gap. Almost all of this is out in the open on a rocky bald ridge line. (Bring sun screen.)

On day 2, go back to Rhododendron Gap and take the Pine Mountain Trail over Pine Mountain. In 2 miles you'll reach the AT again. Turn right on the AT and hike past Scales and over the long open crest of Stone Mountain. When you re-enter the woods after Stone Mountain, you'll walk maybe 1/4 mile and find a small meadow to your left - it's an old homesite. There is a spring just off the trail at the edge of the meadow. It makes a pleasant camp site. It's not all that long a day for miles, but I always like to take plenty of breaks in the open country and just watch the sky and the wild horses. If you want to keep going a little longer, there are many more tent sites down near Quebec Branch (Creek) when you cross out of the national forest into the state park. Camp in the NF (no camping in the state park) -- look to the right of the AT just before crossing the last creek before the Wise Shelter. The shelter has a spring and a privy.

On day 3, keep going sobo on the AT past Wise Shelter and back up to Massey Gap and then down the side trail to your car.

There are ponies in lots of places, both on Wilburn Ridge and back near Scales and down at Wise Shelter. There is no real guarantee of seeing them, of course, but I can't remember ever being there without seeing ponies. My daughter first overnighted in this area when she was 4, and did her first multiday section hike here at age 7, so your kids should be fine.

After the hike, you can drive down US 58 west to Damascus, the best little hiking town on the AT, and hit the Blue Blaze Cafe for some post-hiking pizza. Also check out the outfitters, the coffee shop, etc. You can easily get from Damascus back up to I-81 to get home. There are motels in Marion, and of course at most interstate exits. There are also several B&B and hiker inns in Damascus if you want to spend the night there -- I'd recommend the Lazy Fox Inn. Makes a nice extra day, as you can get showered and get a nice dinner before heading home. If you can spend another night in town, then you can take the kids on the Virginia Creeper Trail, an old railroad trail that is now a very popular bicycle trail. There are a dozen different outfitters in Damascus who will rent you some bikes and drive you up to the top of the hill for the 17-mile gentle downhill ride back into town. Fun stuff.

Kerosene
05-28-2014, 14:19
I second bigcranky's itinerary. This is amazingly similar to what I was planning for my 14-year old girly-girl daughter.

What's interesting is that we ended up not being able to do that trip because of work demands. I didn't get a chance to take her out for another 7 years when we did the Standing Indian to Winding Stair Gap section! We had almost-perfect weather and she had a great time; to the point that we went back the next year and totally nailed the Winding Stair Gap to Fontana Dam section. She is now hooked, stating that she frequently thinks about the AT.

Keep their pack weight inordinately light (15% of their body weight would be a good target). Any extra weight you have to carry will slow you down sufficiently that it will all work out. Note that you may need to bring a larger backpack for yourself!

Southeast
05-28-2014, 15:16
Great recommendation on the trails. One item to watch in the Mt Rogers area is the weather as it can change quickly. I can't recall the wording of the sign you'll see but it says to be prepared for extreme weather changes. Hopefully it'll be sunny & warm the whole time but be prepared for lower temps since you'll be at +5,000' elevation.

The luxury of the low mileage of these routes is you will have time to explore. The kids can climb rock formations that you'll come across. If they like to climb a tree, let them. Who doesn't like to cross a tree "balance beam" when they get a chance. Explore the creeks. Pack some food 'surprise" as in "it's too bad marshmellows are so heavy, oh wait, here are some".

Oh and consider getting them each a disposable camera. And don't worry if they take all the shots on day 1 - take that as a good sign :)

Good luck.

p.s. here's a short video (http://youtu.be/orDaBL17joc) of my family there last year.

Blarralde
05-28-2014, 20:25
Everyone thank you for all the advise. I will apply all those pointers and will start tracking the weather in the GH area. I will have to make the trip a whole adventure with multiple stops since we have to drive 14 hours from Miami, FL to GH.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blarralde
05-28-2014, 21:55
I was looking at weather averages for June and they range for high mid 70-85 and lows of 50-60, but I was wondering whats the typical weather in this area. Is there a good chance the weather could change during June that much during daytime and is rain a big factor in June. I am trying to identify how and what we should pack for sleeping bags and clothing.