PDA

View Full Version : Symbols Legend for AT Thru-Hikers Companion

Siarl
05-27-2014, 22:27
I received my AT Thru-Hikers Companion guide today. The elevation graphic has symbols underneath most of the notable point along the graph. I can figure out 99 % of them but what is that circle with the squiggly line coming from it? I'm not going to guess what it looks like from a medical viewpoint but I can probably deduce that it doesn't mean what it looks like. I can't seem to find a legend for them in the book. Thanks.

RangerZ
05-27-2014, 22:38
I've got the 2013 separate Book of Profiles and that symbol stands for water. Yes, it does look like something else.

Sarcasm the elf
05-27-2014, 22:42
It sounds like you might be describing the symbol for undeveloped water. This photo is from one of my older ATC maps: (I have no idea why the photo rotated)

rocketsocks
05-27-2014, 22:48
It sounds like you might be describing the symbol for undeveloped water. This photo is from one of my older ATC maps: (I have no idea why the photo rotated)
I still don't get the circle w/squiggly line thing being water.

Siarl
05-28-2014, 01:16
Well, thank you all for that info and illustration. I'm either absolutely missing it in the book or it will just bite me at some point. I was going to guess it was water but it would have been just a guess. Thanks again.

bigcranky
05-28-2014, 07:32
A spring is often a small hole in the ground with a tiny stream of water coming from it. The "circle with a squiggly line" has been used to signify springs on maps for as long as I've been looking at maps.

Gambit McCrae
05-28-2014, 09:06
I still don't get the circle w/squiggly line thing being water.

The circle symbolises the starting of the water source, the squiggly shows the flow/ direction of the source, thus is why it changes direction

Rain Man
05-28-2014, 09:56
Symbols often seem "obvious" to those who have used them for a long time, while they often are anything but obvious to the general public. Thus the reason a prominent guide of "key" is important. I still search some maps over and over for a symbol key, to no avail. Alas.

Anyway, it's not just you, but from now on you'll think that little sperm icon is obviously and innately a water source, I bet. :D

Rain Man

rocketsocks
05-28-2014, 11:14
Symbols often seem "obvious" to those who have used them for a long time, while they often are anything but obvious to the general public. Thus the reason a prominent guide of "key" is important. I still search some maps over and over for a symbol key, to no avail. Alas.

Anyway, it's not just you, but from now on you'll think that little sperm icon is obviously and innately a water source, I bet. :D

Rain Man

Naw, just looks like a balloon that got away, but if you say water is at the end of the line, well that's good enough for me...and no I won't forget...thanks fella's.

Ricky&Jack
05-28-2014, 11:48
an easy way to remember:

the circle with a squiggley line looks like the end of a pipe with water coming out. (signifing the begining of water)

Rain Man
05-28-2014, 17:22
Naw, just looks like a balloon that got away, ....

Ahhhh... those icons are balloon launch points, eh?! Learn something new every day. LOL

Rain Man

rafe
05-28-2014, 17:44
OK I guess nobody saw it quite the way I did. There are nasty microorganisms with flagella, resembling that "undeveloped water" icon. I always took it to mean: water here, we don't know what's swimming in it, use at your own risk. Look up "protozoa" on google images.

Siarl
05-28-2014, 18:26
Interesting. I will certainly not be forgetting that symbol now. It will stand out from the rest. I'm enjoying the interpretations of it being a water source. "Pipe with water coming out of it", "Symbol of a protozoa denoting an undeveloped water source with questionable germs" etc.