PDA

View Full Version : Mrs. Bush in Biloxi

wacocelt
09-27-2005, 22:37
The First Lady visited the Salvation Army compound at which I'm volunteering earlier today. It was very interesting to see the differing reactions from the hurricane survivors and volunteers, which ranged from ecstacy to apathy and everything in between. A few hours before she arrived we had an exponential influx of high ranking officials from various civic entities all intent upon glad handing Mrs. Bush while just as dilligently trying to avoid any contact with the personnel and patrons of the site.
She arrived just as lunch was being served, which assured that the site would have atleast four times the people of any other time, as well as a tritely planned, obligatory serving line picture. The timing forced many folks to be pushed into a mob for forty-five minutes in 100 degree heat, lunches in hand, wanting nothing more than to sit down somewhere in the shade to eat. All in all it was a fairly redundant media spectacle with no purpose, resulting in little more than a few extra heat casualties and alot of pictures of the presidents main squeeze.
Despite my cynical attitude about the occasion itself, I will add that Laura seemed honestly and sincerely interested and concerned about the few folks whth which I heard her speak and she seems a jovial and compassionate woman.

Jack Tarlin
09-27-2005, 22:53
So you're telling us that the vist was sincere, trite, jovial, honest, compassionate and redundant.... and all at the same time!

No, Celt, you're not cynical. Confused maybe, but not cynical.

But I find some of the comments here at Whiteblaze pretty amusing....a few weeks ago, people were telling us that the President took too long to visit New Orleans, and that his absence showed callousness and lack of compassion. Then when he showed upin town, he was pilloried as a publicity hound.

Seems his wife gets the same treatment: If she DOESN'T show up, we're told those damned Republicans just don't care. When she DOES show up, then it's viewed by some as a cheap photo op.

I guess there's no pleasing some folks.

On the other hand, Celt, I think your volunteering for the S.A. is a great thing

Good for you!

wacocelt
09-27-2005, 23:12
So you're telling us that the vist was sincere, trite, jovial, honest, compassionate and redundant.... and all at the same time!

I believe I said that she was sincere etc. while the occasion itself was redundant.

The sentiment of the grand majority after she left was that the community would have been much better served had they saved the money for the logictics of transporting the hundred or so people in her entourage and perhaps devoted it to areas where it was a bit more practical.
I've never complained about the Bush's not travelling to a disaster site quickly enough, as I feel that they have no purpose being there in the first place.

TJ aka Teej
09-27-2005, 23:17
All in all it was a fairly redundant media spectacle with no purpose, resulting in little more than a few extra heat casualties and a lot of pictures of the presidents main squeeze.
Hurricanes are good for Republicans. Keeps Iraq off the front page.

http://icasualties.org/oif/

wacocelt
09-28-2005, 00:52
All in all it was a fairly redundant media spectacle with no purpose, resulting in little more than a few extra heat casualties and alot of pictures of the presidents main squeeze.

Oh, the irony. I could have ended that sentence at spectacle. My verbosity is an atrocity.

Tha Wookie
09-28-2005, 03:20

But I find some of the comments here at Whiteblaze pretty amusing....a few weeks ago, people were telling us that the President took too long to visit New Orleans, and that his absence showed callousness and lack of compassion. Then when he showed upin town, he was pilloried as a publicity hound.

Seems his wife gets the same treatment: If she DOESN'T show up, we're told those damned Republicans just don't care. When she DOES show up, then it's viewed by some as a cheap photo op.

I guess there's no pleasing some folks.

On the other hand, Celt, I think your volunteering for the S.A. is a great thing

Good for you!
No, Jack...

You're actually the only person who cares what Laura Bush does.

Just kidding, Jack.

Blue Jay
09-28-2005, 07:44

No, you're the one confused. I'm sure the people sitting on their houses did not expect George to rescue them personally. There was plenty to complain about, but not if some joker comes to visit or not. Actually I'm surprised you are still defending this guy. Most conservatives now see George for what he truly is. He screws up and has a political hack idiot kill people by not rescuing them. Then to make up for it he "visits" and wastes tons of money. I'm sure you have read about the massive spending abuses after the hurricanes in Florida last year. For example between 100 and 200 people died and we paid for the burial of over 300. There is an important difference between rescue which is clearly a required government function and recovery which is not. To expect the government to rebuild peoples lives is imposible. George and his crew did not do the first and is now spending more than FDR, Ted Kennedy and every arch liberal in history, much of it on a rat bag country that hates our gut. No, you're the one thats confused, the rest of the country is waking up to the monstrous disaster George Bush is. He is a turning point in history for the United States. We used to be the most powerful country on earth, now we are bankrupt and wide open to attack. What does he have to do, play Golf while Americans die, oh wait, he already does that.

Lone Wolf
09-28-2005, 08:03
I would like to play a round with George. We would discuss oil stuff.

Tha Wookie
09-28-2005, 11:00
I would like to play a round with George. We would discuss oil stuff.
You bet you would. But he just rides in the little cart. The real oil men take all the shots for him.

stupe
09-28-2005, 18:28
You bet you would. But he just rides in the little cart. The real oil men take all the shots for him.And the little cart is electric. Not really proper for people in the oil business.