PDA

View Full Version : Who has slack packed southbound?

ncmtns
05-28-2014, 16:53
Wife and I would like to converse with others who have started from Maine slack packing. Would be grateful for your input and advise.
Thanks! Crawldaddy

peakbagger
05-28-2014, 17:23
I did just about every variety of slackpacking in every direction on the AT. Starting in Maine is major challenge, as the distances you need to drive to get to trail crossings can be significant and you will need a copy of a Delorme gazetteer as most of the map databases used for car navs don't deal well with private roads. For an example to go from RT 201 to Long falls dam is about 80 miles one way. From Long Falls Dam road to Eustis is another 80 miles. There are some stretches that are very difficult to slackpack like Caribou Valley Road to RT 4. There is no road crossing so you need to hike in several miles from the end of an existing road and then hike out along the AT. There are some spots in the 100 mile wilderness that will also require this approach. The Mahoosucs on the Maine line are the longest stretch on the AT north of the smokies that have no public or private road crossings so you will need to do some long approaches from side trails.

There was a book written several years ago by a thru hiker than slacked almost all of the AT. Some of their day hikes were epic.

rafe
05-28-2014, 17:38
I've always thought that slackpacking was more of an opportunistic thing, not an overall strategy.

perrymk
05-29-2014, 06:34
If you're planning on a slackpack thru-hike in 2020, contact me and let's talk specifics.

I am currently (during hiking season which is winter here in Florida) section-day-hiking the Florida Trail. I anticipate many of the same concepts would apply to a slackpack of the AT.

fsacb3
05-29-2014, 07:09
If you're planning on a slackpack thru-hike in 2020, contact me and let's talk specifics.

You're able to talk specifics about something happening in 2020? I'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing later today but not 100%.

fiddlehead
05-29-2014, 10:58
We did it in 01/02
You can read about it here (https://fiddlehead.wordpress.com/2010/03/08/logs-from-appalacian-trail-portion-of-our-triple-crown-in-one-year-attempt-20012002/)
It is posted backwards on that website but read it chronologically.
That's how we did it.

Keep in mind we were doing fairly big miles.
So, you might not want to attempt that schedule.

Also, we did it in the fall/winter, when a lot of places were closed.
Good luck and have fun.

You can ask me whatever you like but remembering back 11 or 12 years could be a little hazy.

Here's more about that trip: http://triplecrownoneyear.tripod.com/

swampsister2
05-29-2014, 21:07
perrymk, How much of the FT have you completed. I started weekend section hiking, dayhiking and slack packing the FT in 2010 and have the panhandle to finish. Just curious how much you have left - and what you are planning to hike this coming season - Might be able to do some hikes with you and our hiking group if you like.

Sheri

TJ aka Teej
05-29-2014, 21:20
Contact Shaw's in Monson, and ask for Dawn. She's a logistical genius with unsurpassed experience.
She knows more about slacking the 100 than anyone I know.

perrymk
05-30-2014, 05:39
perrymk, How much of the FT have you completed.
I started in the Apalachicola National Forest (Bradwell Bay) and have made it into the Ocala National Forest. Except for one or two hikes where I had a friend, I park at one trailhead, bicycle (first a regular bike, now an electric bike) to the next trailhead, then hike back. I aim to do 10-15 miles per hike. So far I'm about 1/3 complete in a season and a half. I hope to make it most of the way south this coming winter and then the following winter to pick it up at Pensacola and work my way home.

I'm pretty much following the trail one section after the other without jumping around. I might be persuaded to do the Big Cypress section out of order if the conditions are favorable.

If you like you can PM me and we can exchange contact info. If there is an emergency when you are close by I am glad to help, or if I am in town when you are hiking I may be able to assist with a shuttle. Although I am more likely to be out of town hiking myself (smile).

This might be too much of a thread hijack. We can either continue in the FT section or by PM.

perrymk
05-30-2014, 06:01
Speaking of self-shuttling, on the Florida Trail, I recall seeing a blog post about a couple with a minivan, hitch carrier (http://www.walmart.com/ip/24093683?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227017355568&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=35466047676&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=50597546796&veh=sem), and motorcycle that self-shuttled with the minivan and motorcycle much the same way as I use a bicycle and small car. This might be something for the OP to consider.

ChinMusic
05-30-2014, 09:48
Much of the AT is slackpackable. There are areas you will be better off fullpacking for two or three days. Maine for example. I only needed to tent once in the 100-mile Wilderness. Don't let the name fool you, it is fairly easy to navigate. One could probably slack the whole thing but it would require a longish side trail at one point, or a 30-mile day. Stratton to Rangeley is another example. There is a logging road in there but you would prob be better off doing a 3-day fullpack.

If you can combine slackpacking with a few fulls your logistics will be easier. Pure slackpacking is nearly impossible in some areas.

ncmtns
05-30-2014, 18:56
thanks all

Poedog
12-30-2014, 00:13
Work down to a light base weight, then everyday is Slackpacking.